• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

IRS Tax Refunds going wrong places again.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Keep a close eye on your tax returns again this year.

A woman that I volunteer with (she works for DOD) said she looked online for the date she could expect her refund and saw it was already issued and instead of going to her, it went to back child support pay. She has no children. The IRS told her she has to take it up with the DOD. She was alerted last year that all her information was leaked (in the big government leak) and she did everything she was told to do. Now, she has to prove that she doesn't have any children. It's the weirdest thing. She barely makes it pay check to paycheck and this is going to take months to straighten out.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
your title is misleading. It should read 'refunds', not 'returns'. Tax returns are what we send to IRS.

The best solution is to not have more withheld than we owe. That way we are not giving Uncle an interest-free loan. As a bonus your paycheck is a tiny bit bigger.

Jim

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
your title is misleading. It should read 'refunds', not 'returns'. Tax returns are what we send to IRS.

Thanks for pointing that out. I'll change it.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Stealing money continues to be an easier way of getting it than working., And judging by the lack of penalties on banking institutions, virtually without risk.

Jim

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Just to clarify - there is a good chance that the OP's friend's tax refund was stolen - not just an error. That happened to us last year.

There are specific steps to take and forms to complete to resolve this. You can google it, or ask your tax preparer for help.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Interesting new wrinkle, but child support intercepts go to the CA Dept of Child Support Services (DCSS). I know, I worked on their IT system for 7 years. They can intercept tax returns and block DMV license and registrations.

I would advise her to visit the local DCSS office, they can look up to see if a case is assigned to her SSN and they can see all payments and collections. Someone may have used her SSN to evade CS. She should take a picture ID and SSN card.

Sent from my STUDIO ENERGY using Tapatalk

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would advise her to visit the local DCSS office, they can look up to see if a case is assigned to her SSN and they can see all payments and collections. Someone may have used her SSN to evade CS. She should take a picture ID and SSN card.

Thanks. I'll pass that info along to her.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Interesting new wrinkle, but child support intercepts go to the CA Dept of Child Support Services (DCSS). I know, I worked on their IT system for 7 years. They can intercept tax returns and block DMV license and registrations.

Sent from my STUDIO ENERGY using Tapatalk

This sounds like the most likely scenario, someone using the friends SSN to evade child support. It doesn't seem like tax refund fraud. The friend filed for and was issued a refund, it just got rerouted due to the CS fraud.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
We mailed our (yes USPS snail mail) on 2/6/16 and the EFT of our refund hit the bank account yesterday. YEAH!:cheer:

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
Back in 2000, I filed electronically and requested electronic deposit to my bank account. The IRS had a computer glitch that caused my refund to be deposited into someone else's account. It took me 8 months to get the IRS to resolve the issue. Since then, we have not used electronic deposit. Except this year. We'll see how that goes.