• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

iPhone or Blackberry?? Or not?

ctreelmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am eligible for an equipment upgrade for my AT&T cell phone and am thinking about a Blackberry-type device--by that I mean something that will let me access email and the internet and keep my calendar. I don't like to carry a large purse, and having to tote my phone and my dayplanner is getting cumbersome--I end up not bringing the dayplanner, but then things don't get entered, or I start to forget appointments, to-do items, etc.. Yes, I have a calendar feature on my current phone (razor) but it has limitations.

I also text quite a bit, and while I've gotten pretty fast, I like the idea of a qwerty keyboard.

I stopped into the Apple store last night and was playing around with an iPhone and maybe it just takes some getting used to, but even with small hands and pretty slender fingers, I was having a really hard time "typing" on the touch screen--kept hitting the wrong letters. Does that get easier with time? I know the keys on the Blackberry are even smaller. I'm concerned about the frustration factor. I do like the idea of the larger screen the iPhone offers and of course there's the "cool factor."

And I guess the question that should come first is, "do I really want to be that accessible all the time?" Many people tell me no, I really don't, and reference the "crackberry" idea, but I have become so internet-dependent I often find myself wishing I had access on the go.

It looks like Blackberries can be had for much less than the iPhone these days. I like the sleeker size of the Pearl--the curve just looks so chunky and awkward. Not to mention I like to keep my phone in my back pocket-- I wear jeans most days--can an iPhone or Blackberry handle being sat upon all day?

Thanks for any and all feedback from those who have either device (there's also the Pam treo but I haven't really looked at it yet) or have decided to just stick with a phone.

ctreelmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't Know How I did that--Sorry!

i don't know how this post ended up under this thread--MOD can you please clean up in aisle 7?? Thank you!:eek:

[Done! - Makai Guy, BBS Admininstrator]

Last edited by a moderator:

Janis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm also in the market for a new phone because I'm changing from Sprint to Verizon.

I have used a Treo for the last 5 or 6 years. It does everything - email, text, sync to Outlook....

I have been debating between the new B'berry Storm and iPhone. Problem is - I don't want AT&T. So, I was thinking about the Storm. But, early opinions are the Storm are definitely stormy. Lots of buggy software. And - what's worse - no WiFi!! Yes, you can connect to the internet, but only if you have cell service.

I like the idea of being able to connect online even if there's no cell tower. This is especially handy when travelling overseas since most hotels/cafes, etc. now have WiFi areas.

Anyway, I'm thinking of staying with a Treo until iPhones can double as iPods as well as phones. Or until B'berry's get a touch screen and WiFi...

I guess I didn't really help answer your question....

Jbart74

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyway, I'm thinking of staying with a Treo until iPhones can double as iPods as well as phones.

The iPhone does indeed double as an iPod. I have about 1500 songs in my iPhone 3G with plenty of room to spare (16G version). And yes, the WiFi is key when travelling. Love my iPhone. Not sure if I would sit on it all day long in my back pocket, but I did just get a low profile clear plastic hard case which I think could handle it. But I like to keep it in my shirt pocket, if my shirt happens to have one.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Not a move I'd make

The iPhone does indeed double as an iPod. I have about 1500 songs in my iPhone 3G with plenty of room to spare (16G version). And yes, the WiFi is key when travelling. Love my iPhone. Not sure if I would sit on it all day long in my back pocket, but I did just get a low profile clear plastic hard case which I think could handle it. But I like to keep it in my shirt pocket, if my shirt happens to have one.

Even if the iPhone did all the Treo's can (they can't) having to switch back to AT&T wireless to get it is reason enough not to make a downgrade like that. The newest Treo's (Palm OS based) are due second quarter 2009 and hopefully will be worth the wait since the 755p (already the best of a long line of really useful smart phones from Palm).

Jbart74

TUG Member
Reaction score
Even if the iPhone did all the Treo's can (they can't) having to switch back to AT&T wireless to get it is reason enough not to make a downgrade like that. The newest Treo's (Palm OS based) are due second quarter 2009 and hopefully will be worth the wait since the 755p (already the best of a long line of really useful smart phones from Palm).

The OP is already with AT&T so switching is not an issue for her. I am curious, though, what the Treo can do that the iPhone can't? I was a Palm guy for 5 or 6 years and loved it, but I can't imagine life without my iPhone now. I'm truly interested in your response timeos.

mlsmn

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a BB Curve
love it

Found the Pearl too confusing with 2 letters on a key
curve has a regular QWERTY keyboard

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The OP is already with AT&T so switching is not an issue for her. I am curious, though, what the Treo can do that the iPhone can't? I was a Palm guy for 5 or 6 years and loved it, but I can't imagine life without my iPhone now. I'm truly interested in your response timeos.

In basics for a smart phone - calendar, web access, email, contacts - both have similar features. Both have music / video capabilities. But Palm adds over 10,000 3rd party programs for things like TomTom (and other) GPS, Sling Box client, time management, 3G access for your laptop using the supplied usb cable, use pdf files, Word, Excel,Power point files (read & edit) and thousands more. That alone adds more utility than iPhone. Then the basic functions of the Palm OS base features - the integration of the contacts/web/email to the phone is much better than the iPhone. Both are good but its obvious that Palm has been at it much longer and have it down cold vs the version 1.1 feel of the iPhone apps.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
A second vote for the iPhone. I was hesitant when I got it in September, but it has proved itself to be the best option for us, especially when we travel. The iPhone and the Acer Netbook are all we need on the road.

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a Palm Centro, which I got because I already had a palm organizer and wanted to not have to carry a phone AND an organizer. I like it, first time I've been able to do texting and have mail. However, when I look at my son use his older model IPhone, it seems to have much faster web access and great GPS type features, better than the Google maps on my Palm, so maybe in the future, if I decide to switch to ATT. However,my Centro drops calls ALL the time and it is very annoying. They are supposed to replace it for me Saturday, so hopefully that will help.
Liz

Jbart74

TUG Member
Reaction score
In basics for a smart phone - calendar, web access, email, contacts - both have similar features. Both have music / video capabilities. But Palm adds over 10,000 3rd party programs for things like TomTom (and other) GPS, Sling Box client, time management, 3G access for your laptop using the supplied usb cable, use pdf files, Word, Excel,Power point files (read & edit) and thousands more. That alone adds more utility than iPhone. Then the basic functions of the Palm OS base features - the integration of the contacts/web/email to the phone is much better than the iPhone. Both are good but its obvious that Palm has been at it much longer and have it down cold vs the version 1.1 feel of the iPhone apps.

I will give you that 10,000 third party feature boom. And 3G access for your laptop. (really!!!???) Ok, Slingbox too... Geez! Ok, you win this one.... for now!:D

But I do love the iPhone and I am hoping that the apps don't take two years or more to get to that level of usability. I do think that the contacts, web, email is better on the iPhone than the Treo, but I think that's a preference and familiarity thing for most people. Do the new Treos allow for full internet access, or are they still using only Mobile based pages? I do like that I can play on the 'real' internet with the iPhone fast as lightning and am not restriced to dumbed down versions of web pages.

taffy19

Reaction score
Even if the iPhone did all the Treo's can (they can't) having to switch back to AT&T wireless to get it is reason enough not to make a downgrade like that. The newest Treo's (Palm OS based) are due second quarlter 2009 and hopefully will be worth the wait since the 755p (already the best of a long line of really useful smart phones from Palm).

Nothing wrong with AT&T today. It is fast and I love the iPhone. I used it now. Contact list is super fast to old contact list. Many great features too. :) Email is so easy and very fast. :)

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Coverage is a key factor

I will give you that 10,000 third party feature boom. And 3G access for your laptop. (really!!!???) Ok, Slingbox too... Geez! Ok, you win this one.... for now!:D

But I do love the iPhone and I am hoping that the apps don't take two years or more to get to that level of usability. I do think that the contacts, web, email is better on the iPhone than the Treo, but I think that's a preference and familiarity thing for most people. Do the new Treos allow for full internet access, or are they still using only Mobile based pages? I do like that I can play on the 'real' internet with the iPhone fast as lightning and am not restriced to dumbed down versions of web pages.

Yes, no more mobile only web access - full web access with 3G speed. My daughter ended up saving the cost of a cable/dsl connection at college by using first her Treo 700p and now her smaller Centro for her laptop as her only high speed connection. it works great and no matter where she goes (so far) she has full Internet access. No hot spots to deal with and no pccard to buy. The flexibility and reliability have been great.

As for AT&T vs Verizon the AT&T 3G network is still only offering about 1/2 the coverage Verizon does. In fact we have literally driven the Interstates from Rochester to Key West - over 2000 miles - using the Verizon 3G in the car to watch live TV, surf the net and get email (sort of like that ad with the guy on the roof of the car with his desk) and never lost the signal the whole way! Of course we have to keep the driver from sneaking a peek but other than that it was great. I used to want to drive most of the time, now I'm happy sitting & surfing as the miles roll by. And to think 10 years ago I was amazed when I could log in at dial-up speeds and see a (slow) remote desktop on my office PC from home. We just don't realize how advanced the technology has become that we take for granted.

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, no more mobile only web access - full web access with 3G speed. My daughter ended up saving the cost of a cable/dsl connection at college by using first her Treo 700p and now her smaller Centro for her laptop as her only high speed connection. it works great and no matter where she goes (so far) she has full Internet access. No hot spots to deal with and no pccard to buy. The flexibility and reliability have been great.

I had noted this as well when I was at Gardens @ West Maui, I used my 755p on Verizon Wireless broadband and was watching live coverage of the LA fires from a sling box in LA. Using the sync cable from the treo to the laptop, I had great broadband connection through the treo phone at speeds which rivaled what I can receive using our home dsl/wifi router. Since I already had the broadband service with the Treo I was able to avoid paying the $40 charge Gardens has to provide internet access.

Coverage was also fantastic there in Maui and most of the Islands we've been to there.

ctreelmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
You guys lost me at Slingbox, lol! What the heck is that?

Yes, I am with AT&T, am very happy with them and am content to stay.

My laptop is a Mac. Am I inferring correctly from your posts that I could connect my MacBook to an iPhone and get online if I'm somewhere (like a hotel) w/o free wireless internet?

Can anyone address my concern about typing on the iPhone's touch screen?

Type slowly, guys, I try to keep up with all this stuff as best I can, but it's tough. :)

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

My laptop is a Mac. Am I inferring correctly from your posts that I could connect my MacBook to an iPhone and get online if I'm somewhere (like a hotel) w/o free wireless internet?

Type slowly, guys, I try to keep up with all this stuff as best I can, but it's tough. :)

Slingbox is a product that puts your home / office tv/dvd/satellite/whatever video source on the web for viewing - no cost (except for the original Slingbox hardware purchase). With a client on your PC/Mac (I think they releaed that version)/Smartphone (not Blackberry or iPhone yet) you can watch live tv or any other source you've configured from any place you have a high speed web connection. It is so cool to bring up your local news on the Treo screen sitting at a restaurant table in California. Or watch the programs on Eastern time when your in another time zone. It is really a slick and valuable product.

I don't believe the iPhone allow you to use it as a high speed 3G connection to the web for your computer. At least not that I've seen.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Slingbox

Slingbox is a product that puts your home / office tv/dvd/satellite/whatever video source on the web for viewing - no cost (except for the original Slingbox hardware purchase). With a client on your PC/Mac (I think they releaed that version)/Smartphone (not Blackberry or iPhone yet) you can watch live tv or any other source you've configured from any place you have a high speed web connection. It is so cool to bring up your local news on the Treo screen sitting at a restaurant table in California. Or watch the programs on Eastern time when your in another time zone. It is really a slick and valuable product.

I don't believe the iPhone allow you to use it as a high speed 3G connection to the web for your computer. At least not that I've seen.

I'm trying to understand this as well. I have a Treo 755p. And Verizon web service. I don't have the Verizon "whatever" that allows me to power my laptop with my cell phone however. Are you saying this Slingbox is something else?

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Some clarifications

I'm trying to understand this as well. I have a Treo 755p. And Verizon web service. I don't have the Verizon "whatever" that allows me to power my laptop with my cell phone however. Are you saying this Slingbox is something else?

Slingbox is a separate combination of purchased hardware (The "Slingbox" unit), software (a client for pc (free) or supported smartphone such as the Treo line ($29 one time purchase - free to try for 30 days) and a data plan for your phone w/tether option (tether is the term for connecting the phone to yur laptop as a 3G PC modem).

Hope that helps.

Janis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, after reading these posts and then going over to TreoCentral...I've decided to keep my Treo! I just learned how (for Free!!!) to watch live TV on my phone using Orb... I had no idea it even existed!

My new Vista PC has a digital TV tuner which I never used before But now that I've learned about Orb - I'm putting it to use already.

Plus, I'm able to access my entire iTunes library (audio & video) in case I forget my iPod at home.

You just saved me $200....

taffy19

Reaction score

When we went to the Apple store a few weeks ago, I didn't like the keyboard either when I tried it out but we went back several times and I got used to it very quickly. You will like it too, I am sure. :) I know nothing about the BBs or the Treo so cannot compare.

If you have a Mac already, I would keep it simple. We had bought a new iMac recently so it made sense to us to get the iPhone too plus we had AT&T already. They have many Apps too but the Treo may have more and the coverage may be larger too. It is fine here for where we go.

John, they must have copied the technology from Apple because they were the first to come out with it. ;) The technology will only get better for all of us and it will be hard to keep up with it.

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Ha ha - I get it (I hope)

John, they must have copied the technology from Apple because they were the first to come out with it. ;) The technology will only get better for all of us and it will be hard to keep up with it.

I assume (hope) this is tongue in cheek! The Treo 6XX had all the features we are discussing (except 3G which came along in 2006) in 2004. That predates the iPhone by many years. Plus the iPhone doesn't have a keyboard AND a touchscreen. The Treo offers both and makes good use of both in a natural way. The iPhone is an impressive and obviously successful product but it broke no new ground in features. Palm is the pioneer although no longer the leader in smart phones and personal organizers. The best doesn't always win (see the old Beta vs VHS wars for the most enduring example of that problem).

taffy19

Reaction score
Well, after reading these posts and then going over to TreoCentral...I've decided to keep my Treo! I just learned how (for Free!!!) to watch live TV on my phone using Orb... I had no idea it even existed!

My new Vista PC has a digital TV tuner which I never used before But now that I've learned about Orb - I'm putting it to use already.

Plus, I'm able to access my entire iTunes library (audio & video) in case I forget my iPod at home.

You just saved me $200....
The new Treo sounds a beautiful product but I just noticed that the iMac can also watch live TV, if I understand it right. Here is the link. I don't know if it is free as I am not interested in watching TV but it has many other capabilities too so will investigate later. ;)