• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

iPad how-to?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just loaded a trip's worth of photos into my iPad. Some of them are in 'portrait' orientation and I can't seem to figure how to get them all aligned the same way. I can rotate them to the orientation I want, but as soon as I lift my fingers off the screen, they snap back into the landscape orientation.

How do I get them to stay the way I want them? Obviously there's a way that I have used in the past, because all the older photos in it are correctly oriented.

Thanks....:doh:
Jim

Last edited:

NWL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well if it works like my itouch, select the pic, then select "edit" in the upper right hand corner. A "rotate" icon appears. Click it until your pic is in the right position. HTH!

Cheers!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't see an 'edit' button, and I loaded the photos directly from the camera's SD card, not through iTunes. To make matters worse, I also put them into a photo editing application in Windows then deleted the images from the SD card. I suppose I can email the corrected ones to myself then delete the ones that are 90 degrees off. Seems a PITA though.

There MUST be an easier way.

Jim

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Select first, then edit should appear.

Can you put them in iPhoto? Don't know if it's on an iPad.....

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Select first, then edit should appear.

Can you put them in iPhoto? Don't know if it's on an iPad.....

OK, when I select one, the choices are (L to R) Last Import then on the right top of the screen, Slideshow, Share (a box with a swoosh out of it) and a trash can. That's it. I can place my fingers diagonally on a photo, twist it straight, but it just snaps back. And if I turn the whole iPad 90 degres so the picture is straight, it just rolls over 90 degrees so it's still on it's side. Maddening.

I don't know about iPhoto. Is it an app? How would I find it? There isn't the friendly little windows search box. Would all my photos automatically be there?

Orienting photos one transfers from a camera shouldn't be this difficult!

I'd love to trot down to my local Apple store, but I live in a smaller community without one, so you appleheads are my source of expertise.

Jim

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
You can crop, rotate and do other basic editing on your iPad.
These are each features of iOS 5 but not iOS 4.3.

Jim: Couldn't you make the rotation adjustments in your Windows-based photo editing tool and then resync the set to your iPad?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
These are each features of iOS 5 but not iOS 4.3.

Jim: Couldn't you make the rotation adjustments in your Windows-based photo editing tool and then resync the set to your iPad?

I DO have iOS 5. There are many reports (in the app store) of Photoshop Express stopping functioning (along with lots of other apps that don't work) after installing iOS 5. I installed Photo Toaster Jr which has good reviews and does rotate photos that are in the iPad, though it's fairly clumsy. Lots of steps for each photo.

Of the last trip's 180ish photos, probably 50ish are in portrait. I'll jump the hoops and rotate and save those, one by one, but henceforth, NO more photos into the iPad.

Thanks all for your suggestions, but I'm disappointed. Nothing here is anywhere nearly as simple as I am used to in Windows.

Jim

Last edited:

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, when I select one, the choices are (L to R) Last Import then on the right top of the screen, Slideshow, Share (a box with a swoosh out of it) and a trash can. That's it. I can place my fingers diagonally on a photo, twist it straight, but it just snaps back. And if I turn the whole iPad 90 degres so the picture is straight, it just rolls over 90 degrees so it's still on it's side. Maddening.

I don't know about iPhoto. Is it an app? How would I find it? There isn't the friendly little windows search box. Would all my photos automatically be there?

Orienting photos one transfers from a camera shouldn't be this difficult!

I'd love to trot down to my local Apple store, but I live in a smaller community without one, so you appleheads are my source of expertise.

Jim

Flipping it with your fingers or by moving the screen is only changing the current view, not the file itself.

iPhoto is an app that comes with Macs, but I guess not with iPad :(

No, it shouldn't be hard - but as I don't have an iPad I was hoping it'd be more Mac-like.

How about double-clicking (double-tapping) a photo? Will that open it up to be editable?

How about calling 1-800-MyApple?

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Ok, so you have iOS 5 ... but interestingly DON'T have an [Edit] button shown immediately left of the [Slideshow] button. I'm wondering if it is related to how you reach your photos?

What if you navigated ...
  • iPad home page
  • Photos
  • (navigate to your photos through any of the options: Photos, Albums, Events, Faces, Places, etc.). Try a route other than "Last Import"?
  • Pick a specific photo
  • Check the menu? Mine now shows
    • LEFT EDGE: [<Camera Roll] to navigate back to my Camera Roll photo collection
    • RIGHT EDGE: [Edit], [Slideshow], Share icon and Trash Can icon.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, so you have iOS 5 ... but interestingly DON'T have an [Edit] button shown immediately left of the [Slideshow] button. I'm wondering if it is related to how you reach your photos?

What if you navigated ...
  • [*]iPad home page
    [*]Photos
    [*](navigate to your photos through any of the options: Photos, Albums, Events, Faces, Places, etc.). Try a route other than "Last Import"?
    [*]Pick a specific photo
  • Check the menu? Mine now shows
    • LEFT EDGE: [<Camera Roll] to navigate back to my Camera Roll photo collection
    • RIGHT EDGE: [Edit], [Slideshow], Share icon and Trash Can icon.

Rhonda, you describe exactly how I get to my photos and there simply is no EDIT button there. I have tried every one of the groups of pictures. Interestingly I don't have 'Faces' or 'Places'.

I have corrected the majority of the offending pictures using Photo Toaster and put them into albums that make some sense as a slideshow- which was the objective anyway. It was just harder to do than it needed to be.

Sometime when my travels take me to an Apple Store locale, I'll take it and ask one of the 'geneii'.

Thanks to you all.

Jim

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. I think I had it in the iPad, but like everyone, I like asking TUGgers for the answers to all life's mysteries. And yup, right there somewhere between pages 54 and about 60 there's a screen shot clearly showing an Edit button. And my iPad doesn't have it. No way, no where, no how.

I even tried that old Microsoft trick- a total shutdown and hard restart. Still no joy. That Edit button just doesn't exist on my iPad. I have no basis for this thought except that earlier photos I had put in the iPad are all correctly aligned, but I'd make a small unspecified wager that the elusive edit button disaparated with the upgrade to iOS 5.

Perhaps I should post the mystery to an Apple forum if such there be.

Jim

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
For a company that takes pride in being 'forward thinking' I feel Apple's photo app on the iPad is from the dark ages. I've got almost 300 pictures on it and they are all in one album and I can't figure out how to put them into different folders...and I have a few facing the wrong direction too without any success rotating them permanently. Also, having to sync it with my HP laptop seems another backward step that indirectly promotes the PC as more user friendly.

Oh well...the iPad is good for Angry Birds.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
From the above link, I can see that this is a fairly common problem. I hope they issue a bug fix soon as this is unacceptable. PhotoPad does seem to work easier than the first app I tried, but still not good. Also difficult to organize into albums.

Jim