• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Interval International Caribbean Efficiency

bonniesue

Reaction score
I have enough points left over for an efficiency with Interval International. My husband and I would like to travel to the Caribbean in the fall, late October. I am concerned with the quality of room that an efficiency status will yield in the Caribbean. Which resorts/ islands would offer the best efficiencies in October in the Caribbean??

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Assuming the resort you are depositing is of high quality you will probably have no problem getting an efficiency at the Marriott Surf Club or Ocean Club in Aruba.

bonniesue

Reaction score
Thanks!

Your response is very helpful! I had suspected that the Marriott might offer the best with an efficiency. I wish that they would allow me to pay for an upgrade to a one bedroom. Although we have not invested alot of money in timeshares, I think that the inflexibility is their problem.

gmarine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your response is very helpful! I had suspected that the Marriott might offer the best with an efficiency. I wish that they would allow me to pay for an upgrade to a one bedroom. Although we have not invested alot of money in timeshares, I think that the inflexibility is their problem.

What resort are you depositing? If the resort is high enough in quality you may be able to get a one bedroom with an efficiency.

If Marriott allowed a simple charge to upgrade unit size there would be no reason for anyone to buy a larger unit.

bonniesue

Reaction score
I would be exchanging Governor's Green in Williamsburg through Interval International. Who knows if that is something which Marriott would be interested in exchanging. Question - if I am successful in obtaining an efficiency at Marriott, can I call the facility directly and propose an upgrade to a one bedroom with payment to Marriott for the difference?

gmarine

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would be exchanging Governor's Green in Williamsburg through Interval International. Who knows if that is something which Marriott would be interested in exchanging. Question - if I am successful in obtaining an efficiency at Marriott, can I call the facility directly and propose an upgrade to a one bedroom with payment to Marriott for the difference?

Whether or not you get the exchange has nothing to do with Marriott. It depends on the trading power assigned to your unit by Interval. If you have deposited a peak summer week you might be able to get a unit at Surf Club or Ocean club. If you have an off season unit then your chances would be less.

You can propose the upgrade but you will be told that it isnt possible. Marriott does not upgrade unit size with regards to exchanges. You can search the TUG forums and you should find several threads about this.

LGinPA

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have enough points left over for an efficiency with Interval International. My husband and I would like to travel to the Caribbean in the fall, late October. I am concerned with the quality of room that an efficiency status will yield in the Caribbean. Which resorts/ islands would offer the best efficiencies in October in the Caribbean??

I think Aruba is a good starter Carribbean island. And I've observed both Aruba Marriott's come available in the fall, often. So I agree with gmarine on those.

But if the Marriott's don't come up for you, another good choice that is always available in Aruba is La Cabana Beach Club. We've toured them twice and the unit we like is the 0 bedroom studio. You 'll see both 1 BR and 0 BR come up all the time at La Cabana. But the 0 (studio) is actually bigger and has a full kitchen. Here's a link to La Cabana's site that shows the layouts. Click on where it says 1 & 3 bedroom and studio.

St Marten is another good choice. You may see a studio at Oyster Beach come up. All those choices are a safe bet, with the Marriott being on the high end.

RIMike

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
OBBR in St Martin

Why not try for Oyster Bay Beach Resort on St Martin? I stayed there for my first time share exchange...it is the resort that got me hooked on this whole process and I stayed in an efficiency.

carlrocky

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott is best bet.

Travel is down due to the economy to all the Islands. I think you have an excellent chance at a Marriott efficiency. The Marriott has so many units. Aruba is such a great location. Ive also stayed at la Cabana, The Rennaissance, and Costa Linda. We loved the Costa Linda right on Eagle beach. Many people rate the Playa Linda very highly too. I would rate them;
1. The Marriott Surf Club
1. The Marriott Ocean Club
2. Costa Linda
2. Playa Linda
3. La Cabana
You cant go wrong with any of them.:clap: :clap: :clap:

rsnash

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if points work the same way, but... What about Flexchange? If you wait until 59 days before your proposed check in, you can exchange that studio for anything available, including 1 & 2 BRs. There's just less chance of the resort you want being available, but there should be something, if size of the unit is more important than a particular resort.

silverfox82

TUG Member
Reaction score
An easy trade in St Maarten for an efficency is the pelican but there are "sleep 2" and "sleep 4" units with the latter being the better ones. The sleep 2's should generally be avoided and, with travel being off, you might get upgraded at checkin to a 1 bedroom anyway.

silverfox82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Forgot to mention, Aruba might be a better choice because of hurricanes that time of year.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
I have an II Wyndham account - using a undeposited studio, I see availability at 7 different resorts in Aruba in October. Several resorts are showing studio and 1BRs available.
I also see availability in the Bahamas, St Thomas and St Martin.

Do you now you can log into your II account and search for availability????

And no, you can't upgrade by calling Marriott.