• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Internet access options from Royal Resorts

X-ring

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We're heading to the tri-Royals next Saturday and will need to access the Internet regularly for the 2 weeks while we are there.

Here is what I have gathered from various postings about the possibilities:

1. Computers are available in the business centers with hi-speed access. Cost is $5 per 15 minutes or you can buy a card $16 for an hour.

Question: can you hook up your own laptop in the business center and download your mail at hi-speed to work off-line ?

2. The villas have dial-up access at $30 per week for those with their own computers. This service is offered through Prodigy.

Question: do you need to be a Prodigy customer *before* going to Cancun?

Thanks in advance for any help/clarifications.

Ellis2ca

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Internet options

X-ring said:
We're heading to the tri-Royals next Saturday and will need to access the Internet regularly for the 2 weeks while we are there.

Here is what I have gathered from various postings about the possibilities:

1. Computers are available in the business centers with hi-speed access. Cost is $5 per 15 minutes or you can buy a card $16 for an hour.

Question: can you hook up your own laptop in the business center and download your mail at hi-speed to work off-line ?

2. The villas have dial-up access at $30 per week for those with their own computers. This service is offered through Prodigy.

Question: do you need to be a Prodigy customer *before* going to Cancun?

Thanks in advance for any help/clarifications.

If you already ARE a Prodigy customer, then you should ask Prodigy in your city to let you connect in CanCun... for free... Local phone calls in the Royal Resorts are free, so you can connect for free.

I suppose you can connect high speed at the business centers, but you can connect from your Villa too... not at very high speed, but faster than walking to the Business center to download, and then walk back. I got by very well with the "slow speed" just to read e-mails, etc.

In downtown Cancun you can connect to internet for $1.50 per hour at many internet Cafe's, and at Kukulcan Plaza (near the Sands) it might cost $3 per hour.

No, you do not have to be a Prodigy customer to have dial-up access at $30 per week from your villa... You have to be a Royal Resorts customer... (ie, a guest at the Royal Resorts) - Ellis

Last edited:

JEFF H

Reaction score
I have never used the Prodigy dial-up offered at the Royals.
I have used the business center and it was far from high speed but this was 2-3 years ago so hopefully they have upgraded their internet connection.

For a really low cost option Buy a pre-paid dial-up internet card in Mexico from Todito.
you use to be able to buy the service from their English language website befor you travelled to Mexico but it has been discontinued.
They have a spanish language website where you can purchase service. WWW.TODITO.COM

I used this last year from the Royals and it worked great. Cost me $14 for unlimited 2 weeks of usage.
They have a local Cancun dial-up number and local calls at the Royals are free. Toll free calls from the Royals however are charged a service fee.

I have also used AOL's local dial-up number in Cancun. AOL has a $3 per hour surcharge for using it. If your not a member you can signup for a free trial and then It will only cost you the $3 per hour surcharge.

Last edited:

X-ring

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, guys.

My daughter is the one with the need and it may be high volume. She's in corporate communications with a major Canadian company that is going through some major changes so she expects to receive and will need to edit large documents - bottom line being that dial-up may be insufficient.

Not a great way to spend a planned vacation but at least she will be able to get away and get to the beach.

Last edited:

TomY

Reaction score
X-ring said:
[Snip]

[Snip]

Norma in the Business Center just advised me that you cannot hook up laptops in the Business Center. You can only hook them up to the dial-up connection in the villas.

Kelly

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were at the Royal Sands last week. You cannot use your laptop in the business center. HOWEVER, the KukkulkanMall (right next to the Sands-your daughter can ride the shuttle there for free and walk to the mall) now has a little internet cafe that has wireless. All you have to do is order something to drink or eat. Great little space, elevated in the center of the mall. They have great espresso and frappe's. There is an adult area with couches and chairs. Very nice music playing (Sarah Brightman while we were there) So at least it is very pleasant if she HAS to work!

jspang

TUG Member
Reaction score
If all you need to do is check e-mail the dial up at the Royal Sands will do you just fine. But it is very slow. I thought slower this year than in the past, maybe something to do with the hurricane - not sure. Hopefully the Royals get the wireless system installed soon.