• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Increased Home Security in a Recession?

Brett

Reaction score
We are not scared. We are prepared. My brotherinlaw in Delaware just had a situation where he was watching TV in the dark and someone broke the glass in his back door. This was around 7 pm. He immediately got up and grabbed his shotgun and waited patiently as the man's hand reached in to grab the door knob. Hshouted to him that he will regret it if he steps foot in the house. The intruder ran, surprised someone was home. My BIL said he was not scared at all. He was just ready to shoot the guy if he stepped into the house. Period.

if somone has home burglaries/ home intrusions it's time to take action
I've never experienced that situation

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
if somone has home burglaries/ home intrusions it's time to take action
I've never experienced that situation

Neither has he. He is in his early 70's and lived in his house for like 30 or 40 years. Never had a problem. Things can change on a dime.

For sure after this he immediately installed a home security system with cameras and put up a fence and lots of outdoor lighting. He lives in a develpment with neighbors close by. These things can happen anywhere at anytime.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking if pawn shops sell a lot of guns (like in Virginia) they need ammo for the guns
I didn't realize that. I have never walked into a pawn shop and just assume that they sell jewelry and some collectables. I learned something new.

Last edited:

Brett

Reaction score
Neither has he. He is in his early 70's and lived in his house for like 30 or 40 years. Never had a problem. Things can change on a dime.

For sure after this he immediately installed a home security system with cameras and put up a fence and lots of outdoor lighting. He lives in a develpment with neighbors close by. These things can happen anywhere at anytime.

I suppose so, I've never experienced that - crime can occur anywhere

In other developed countries - England, Japan, Canada, Australia, etc, people seem to not need guns to protect their residences.
But maybe they are different than us

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We are not scared. We are prepared. My brotherinlaw in Delaware just had a situation where he was watching TV in the dark and someone broke the glass in his back door. This was around 7 pm. He immediately got up and grabbed his shotgun and waited patiently as the man's hand reached in to grab the door knob. Hshouted to him that he will regret it if he steps foot in the house. The intruder ran, surprised someone was home. My BIL said he was not scared at all. He was just ready to shoot the guy if he stepped into the house. Period.

Patti keeps a shotgun in the bedroom. If Patti hears someone breaking in she will "Rack" a round into the chamber. Nothing sounds like a shotgun racking. She believes that will convince the burglar it is time to leave.

EZ-ED

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not one to overreact, but maybe you or someone you know is overreacting? I am not talking about just hoarding TP and water.
Have you purchased a firearm or weapon? Do you own one already?
Are you considering a home security system?
Do you think there may be looting or an increase in home robberies? (What type of area do you live in?)

I heard that Asians are buying firearms because this is a "China" virus.

We live in a suburban area 10 miles or so from our state capital. Not to worried about home robberies/invasions at the current time but I believe such may change if/when there are food shortages/civil unrest and that's when it will become a more serious issue and then you may have to change your mental attitude on what you will or won't do. I know what I will do at that time and you should be be thinking about it whether it ever happens or not.

geekette

Reaction score
We live in a suburban area 10 miles or so from our state capital. Not to worried about home robberies/invasions at the current time but I believe such may change if/when there are food shortages/civil unrest and that's when it will become a more serious issue and then you may have to change your mental attitude on what you will or won't do. I know what I will do at that time and you should be be thinking about it whether it ever happens or not.
Maybe. But I'm pretty sure other houses look like better marks than mine. I have a lot of exits, my plan would be to leave.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
Hubby owns guns. It comes with his profession. He taught me how to load and fire his newest toy 2 days ago. I fired a hand gun of his once. It was so loud and powerful I immediately said “oh my ,that could kill someone “.

I am not the least bit interested in guns but I know I am safe in my DH care.

Brett

Reaction score
Maybe. But I'm pretty sure other houses look like better marks than mine. I have a lot of exits, my plan would be to leave.

Having multiple exits is good as well as not keeping up with your neighbors.
I'm planning to put decoy items in plain site (old camera lenses, worthless guitar, pyrite, etc) and hope that slows them so I can make my escape out a side entrance in the garage

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please don't trust your sense of direction or ability while under stress, which you will be. So many things could go wrong and it's simply not worth trying to
outrun danger.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If I can hear someone trying to break in, I will shout "If you come through that door I will shoot you." They won't know if I am calling my bluff until they get in. I will take my chances that they will go elsewhere.

Brett

Reaction score
If I can hear someone trying to break in, I will shout "If you come through that door I will shoot you." They won't know if I am calling my bluff until they get in. I will take my chances that they will go elsewhere.

that's a strategy - but might not hear the home invaders at night
Also consider the remote sensor electronically barking dog alarm
($20 Amazon)

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
that's a strategy - might not hear the home invaders at night

You can also get a guard dogs recording on Alexa through the music skill.

Also, the sound of cocking the gun is a big deterrent. I think you can download that sound also online.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Someone should make stickers DO NOT ENTER COVID 19 PATIENT QUARANTINE with the skull & crossbones.

That should keep them out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
that's a strategy - but might not hear the home invaders at night
($20 Amazon)
I bought a remote sensor electronic barking dog alarm once from Amazon and thing did not work.

Last edited:

geekette

Reaction score
Please don't trust your sense of direction or ability while under stress, which you will be. So many things could go wrong and it's simply not worth trying to
outrun danger.
Actually, it's very easy here. It's dark and wooded, I know exactly where my lights point and where the motion sensors are. 3 steps out my bedroom door and I'm to the side of the house, another 2 feet and I can be on the ground and into woods. stay vs belly crawl, depends on what I hear.

Out run? no. bullets are faster than I am. they pretty much want my stuff vs murder me. If I can't identify them, why kill me?

I'm certainly not going to buy a gun or security service. I've been here a long time. It's not like I haven't thought about this before.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Someone should make stickers DO NOT ENTER COVID 19 PATIENT QUARANTINE with the skull & crossbones.

That should keep them out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Actually- another good idea is buying stickers that say you have a security system and cameras (and even buying fake cameras) even if you don't.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Cohen and Felson would like a moment of your time.

Applying Routine Activities Theory suggests we should expect less crime in and around the home place as more gatekeepers are present.
The question to be answered is (assuming the previous is correct), where will the crime shift to - what location?

300px-Routine_activity_theory.png
Engaged in conversation with County Sheriff this morning. (He was on a motorcycle in my bank parking lot.) I asked if there had been a decrease in crime. Nope. Highest increase = domestic violence. Oh man, I hadn't considered it. But makes sense.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Engaged in conversation with County Sheriff this morning. (He was on a motorcycle in my bank parking lot.) I asked if there had been a decrease in crime. Nope. Highest increase = domestic violence. Oh man, I hadn't considered it. But makes sense.

I just said this to my husband today. There will unfortunately be more domestic abuse, child abuse, suicides and murder suicides, alcoholism, depression, and other illnesses due to people not being able to get their annual screening tests, and also from the stress this is causing.

Brett

Reaction score
I just said this to my husband today. There will unfortunately be more domestic abuse, child abuse, suicides and murder suicides, alcoholism, depression, and other illnesses due to people not being able to get their annual screening tests, and also from the stress this is causing.

yes ... and still the flu :(

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
And pet neglect