• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

In quarantine Marriott Maui

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not going back to my gym, even though they have opened up. And at that facility the members are being asked to wipe down the equipment, as well as them having a cleaning crew.

I would be very uncomfortable using a facility that isn't staffed, most likely isn't being cleaned on a regular basis.

P.S. I work outside at a park with my trainer. I see lots of other people using these outside facilities to exercise. You don't "need" a gym or fitness facility.

Also, I'm curious. What do you mean you work out for food?
The benefits of weight training and other exercise far outweigh the risk to me. People have the right to make their own choice regarding this type of issue, as long as they are maintaining social distancing and wiping down the equipment they use. Workouts build the immune system, lower blood pressure, improve mental health, and help with weight control. Two key factors that impact the severity of Covid for those that get it are immune system and obesity. Not working out for eight weeks while Ohio gyms were closed definitely negatively impacted people's health. I noticed increases in blood pressure, stress, and reduced muscle mass. My gym could have easily remained open because there is plenty of room to maintain social distance and a vast majority of members clean their equipment after every use. Many people tend to overlook that some of the mass Covid policies have significant negative effects that aren't taken into consideration. I agree that gyms that can't provide a safe workout environment should be closed, but they should have been given an opportunity to take the necessary actions to remain open. The whole class shouldn't be punished for misbehavior of a few.

Most MVC fitness centers can also provide a safe workout environment as long as disinfecting wipes are provided, and guests use common sense and courtesy. Many states allowed hotel and private facilities to remain open even when public gyms were closed.

I work out for food means I like to exercise even on vacation so I can eat and drink the food that I like. I've been fortunate to stay healthy and reduce stress by working out regularly for 40+ years.

luv_maui

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would be upset with the clearly unnecessary closure of the fitness center. With only 3 other groups there, guests clearly can bet rusted their own equipment. Most MVC fitness centers are not staffed, and the only employees I see typically pick up and drop off towels. Everyone has gone through quarantine so are not carrying the virus, and recent research shows it is highly unlikely to get Covid by touching surfaces. I work out for food, so this amenity is extremely important to us and there is no reason not to have it open there at this time.
I typically love working out in fitness centers, but I respect the fact during a rare pandemic they’ve chosen to limit services to currently just 1 pool open. Housekeeping is not permitted to enter our room during our entire stay, but have been excellent at having requested supplies dropped off at our front door followed by a call to let us know they’ve arrived. The no contact approach. My attitude is I’m thankful to be here, thankful for a fantastic ocean front view, thankful for the opportunity to enjoy beautiful views and beautiful walks, Thankful for my current good health, and feel blessed to simply enjoy this once in a lifetime opportunity - at least for us. I don’t expect we will ever spend 7 weeks in a row in Maui ever again, let along the same ocean front room here at Maui Ocean Club. One can always look upon ways for improvement while here, but I’d prefer to simply understand the situation and enjoy what is available to me. I would certainly love for more activities and more if our favorite restaurants to be open, but respect they are doing what is best for them. No one asked for this pandemic and everyone is doing what they believe is best for them. We didn’t have to come and knew full well the situation coming in Marriott had limited services, I mean the manager of Marriott Maui encouraged us to not come and cancel. Interval International emailed us that the resort was literally closed and we should contact them to make additional arrangements. Without tug support/advice/encouragement/suggestions and without calling Marriott Maui to reconfirm they would be open, and switching flights due to cancelled direct flight here, we would not be here. I’ve always been thankful for everything in life since things could always be worse. I’m just thankful we have this opportunity under the current conditions I signed up for. If we decide the limited services are not to our liking, we will simply fly home early with no regrets and no ill will towards resort, Maui, etc.

we will simply enjoy the time we are here under the conditions we subjected ourselves to.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
The benefits of weight training and other exercise far outweigh the risk to me. People have the right to make their own choice regarding this type of issue, as long as they are maintaining social distancing and wiping down the equipment they use. Workouts build the immune system, lower blood pressure, improve mental health, and help with weight control. Two key factors that impact the severity of Covid for those that get it are immune system and obesity. Not working out for eight weeks while Ohio gyms were closed definitely negatively impacted people's health. I noticed increases in blood pressure, stress, and reduced muscle mass. My gym could have easily remained open because there is plenty of room to maintain social distance and a vast majority of members clean their equipment after every use. Many people tend to overlook that some of the mass Covid policies have significant negative effects that aren't taken into consideration. I agree that gyms that can't provide a safe workout environment should be closed, but they should have been given an opportunity to take the necessary actions to remain open. The whole class shouldn't be punished for misbehavior of a few.

Most MVC fitness centers can also provide a safe workout environment as long as disinfecting wipes are provided, and guests use common sense and courtesy. Many states allowed hotel and private facilities to remain open even when public gyms were closed.

I work out for food means I like to exercise even on vacation so I can eat and drink the food that I like. I've been fortunate to stay healthy and reduce stress by working out regularly for 40+ years.
I think the point was that you don't need a gym to workout, not that you don't need to work out. All of the attributes you cite are readily available through a wide variety of workout routines using things like bands, sit ups, push ups, etc.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Front desk to get room keys good for 48 days, indirectly implying same room - OCEAN FRONT!!. Then Avis in Kihei, Costco to stock back up, then Gazebo restaurant, then pool.
Now I have another question. Why all the way to Kihei to rent a car? Better prices? Availability?

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I think the point was that you don't need a gym to workout, not that you don't need to work out. All of the attributes you cite are readily available through a wide variety of workout routines using things like bands, sit ups, push ups, etc.
Exactly.

I miss my gym. I miss having the availability of different machines and such. I miss the way I feel after a workout. But......................not enough to go back. I can't exercise with a mask. Masks aren't required when working out at my gym. But, I don't want to be in a place where people are coughing, sneezing, sweating, etc. where they are not wearing masks. For those who feel comfortable, fine. I don't. I am making do with sessions with my trainer outside at the park, and doing stretching workouts at home.

luv_maui

TUG Member
Reaction score
out of curiosity, went to the daily check-in at https://safetravels.hawaii.gov/home and tried to daily check-in myself the day after our quarantine is over and it says:

first is state of Hawaii symbol:

A0458C36-90F3-446E-B175-48D37F8CFDEE.png

“Daily check-in (my name) 6/21/2020”

in green:
”Thank you for protecting your health and our community. Your mandatory self-quarantine is completed. Enjoy the rest of your stay in Hawaii!”

no email, but I took a screen shot of entire page. But that’s it, and I wouldn’t have discovered this had I not been curious of doing a daily check in after quarantine completed.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
out of curiosity, went to the daily check-in at https://safetravels.hawaii.gov/home and tried to daily check-in myself the day after our quarantine is over and it says:

first is state of Hawaii symbol:

View attachment 22404
“Daily check-in (my name) 6/21/2020”

in green:
”Thank you for protecting your health and our community. Your mandatory self-quarantine is completed. Enjoy the rest of your stay in Hawaii!”

no email, but I took a screen shot of entire page. But that’s it, and I wouldn’t have discovered this had I not been curious of doing a daily check in after quarantine completed.
They probably figured nobody would ever actually successfully complete the quarantine, so they didn't have to design the "end" of the process. :p

luv_maui

TUG Member
Reaction score
More people here at Marriott maui due to interisland quarantine lifted, so unclear how many are here. I did notice a room occupied on our floor about 2-3 rooms down the hallway.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score

I am 69 years old and I have been doing heavy weight training for years. I only use free weights. In early March I bought my own weights. I have been working out on my own since then. I will not go back into a gym for quite a while. I live in a gated Country Club community with 2 fitness facilities but I am not comfortable. Therefore, I do it by myself!

luv_maui

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am 69 years old and I have been doing heavy weight training for years. I only use free weights. In early March I bought my own weights. I have been working out on my own since then. I will not go back into a gym for quite a while. I live in a gated Country Club community with 2 fitness facilities but I am not comfortable. Therefore, I do it by myself!
Impressive. I need to discuss with my SIL athletic trainer on using free weights too.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I forgot to mention that we bought ebikes and also bike ride 15-20 miles a day!
ebikes are a game changer....we love ours too. Allows you to cover a lot more ground, while still getting the exercise, and having the ability to effectively flatten hills late in a ride is a Godsend.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
ebikes are a game changer....we love ours too. Allows you to cover a lot more ground, while still getting the exercise, and having the ability to effectively flatten hills late in a ride is a Godsend.
We bought an Echelon and it hasn't arrived yet (was on back order). I have my road bike attached to a trainer and use a software program called Zwift, really makes the time go by. I ride outdoors too but not more than once or twice a week because I think it's dangerous (not in a COVID way, but traffic, etc.)

With respect to working out, yes an incredibly important part of staying healthy. As a "retired" triathlete, I would still swim a couple of days a week but that hasn't been an option until the last week. I'd also use the weight machines at my gym 2-3 days a week and a treadmill, both of which I had to figure out a different plan. My wife, daughter, and I utilized the online classes from our yoga studio plus other online workouts. After all of this I only miss maybe a couple of machines that I can't replicate at home, and I wish I had dumbbells heavier than 15 pounds (EVERYTHING was sold out everywhere).

Weird that your MVC location doesn't have the gym open when dozens of others do, most of which aren't staffed and are starting to build up occupancy rates. Hawaii has more or less been its own country during this.

Congrats on your survival and enjoy your stay. :)

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
These would be great for biking in Park City. The bike trail is all downhill from the town, and therefore an uphill trek coming back. We've often cut short our rides due to concern about being able to make it back.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I considered buying some free weights when the gyms initially closed, but they were difficult to find and we really have no place to put them. I prefer to use dumbbells and machines, and do cross training workouts every other day using over 20 different machines. I feel very safe working out at my gym, and have probably built up some immunity having worked out in several dirtier clubs over the years.

My current gym has a wide mix of clients ranging from severely overweight people trying to start a healthier lifestyle to retired work out veterans who have been doing it for years. I really feel sorry for those who recently started their workout programs and were just starting to see success prior to the 8 week shutdown. It will be much more difficult for them to get the motivation to come back and resume their exercise. Several people had gained a lot of weight during the closure because they really didn't have any place to exercise.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I fail to understand how one gets any real exercise on an Ebike. 4 years ago when we were in Park City staying at the Worldmark I would ride my Hybrid Bike the 4 or 5 miles uphill to the City Center of Park City. It was a much easier ride back.

mauitraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
More people here at Marriott maui due to interisland quarantine lifted, so unclear how many are here. I did notice a room occupied on our floor about 2-3 rooms down the hallway.
Now that you've had a chance to be "out and about", have you noticed less traffic on the roads and shorter lines at the markets? What favorite eateries have you been able visit? I would imagine that smaller establishments such as The Gazebo and 808 Grindz might need to consider making/continuing take-out orders to be the type of service offered? Thanks again, for sharing your journey with us. Please continue to post those great photos! CJ

luv_maui

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now that you've had a chance to be "out and about", have you noticed less traffic on the roads and shorter lines at the markets? What favorite eateries have you been able visit? I would imagine that smaller establishments such as The Gazebo and 808 Grindz might need to consider making/continuing take-out orders to be the type of service offered? Thanks again, for sharing your journey with us. Please continue to post those great photos! CJ
We’ve only been out of quarantine since Saturday. Lines at Costco were usual long line outside to even get in. Traffic was quick back to Lahaina. Roy’s was not crowded with tables maybe 6ft apart. Gazebo restaurant was simply walk up with no line at 1pm in Saturday. Extremely limited main restaurants open In Lahaina but much more open in Kihei but we are not driving that far just for a meal. Will try the handful of places for takeout. Lahaina is essentially tourists, so most restaurents are not open

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
We’ve only been out of quarantine since Saturday. Lines at Costco were usual long line outside to even get in. Traffic was quick back to Lahaina. Roy’s was not crowded with tables maybe 6ft apart. Gazebo restaurant was simply walk up with no line at 1pm in Saturday. Extremely limited main restaurants open In Lahaina but much more open in Kihei but we are not driving that far just for a meal. Will try the handful of places for takeout. Lahaina is essentially tourists, so most restaurents are not open

Mama’s may be open... good choice for take out. http://www.mamasribsmaui.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

luv_maui

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mama’s may be open... good choice for take out. http://www.mamasribsmaui.com

Have you eaten here before? We noticed driving thru it looks like they are at least open for takeout. We couldn’t tell by quick drive thru if open for dine-in. But website looks yummy. On our list to try take out.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Have you eaten here before? We noticed driving thru it looks like they are at least open for takeout. We couldn’t tell by quick drive thru if open for dine-in. But website looks yummy. On our list to try take out.

Yes, I’ve been going there for years. I stop by for takeout at least once every time I’m in Maui. It’s mostly takeout anyway, but they do have a few tables. I’m sure you can call ahead to place an order. Friendly, good food...doesn’t get much better, and a nice ~15 min drive north for you.

There’s also a small grocery in the same complex, and a wonderful coffee shop (https://www.coffeestorenapili.com) where I always go to get coffee for the unit (and to take home). I sometimes stop here on the way back after eating at The Plantation House, but it seems that restaurant is currently closed.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI

I second Mama’s Ribs, very good and reasonably priced. We have been there a number of times and it’s always good.

luv_maui

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I’ve been going there for years. I stop by for takeout at least once every time I’m in Maui. It’s mostly takeout anyway, but they do have a few tables. I’m sure you can call ahead to place an order. Friendly, good food...doesn’t get much better, and a nice ~15 min drive north for you.

There’s also a small grocery in the same complex, and a wonderful coffee shop (https://www.coffeestorenapili.com) where I always go to get coffee for the unit (and to take home). I sometimes stop here on the way back after eating at The Plantation House, but it seems that restaurant is currently closed.

We have some common restaurant places. We typically always go to Plantation House after church on Sundays. And DW is always looking for a good coffee store. If we are ever on Maui at the same time, and this covid-19 thing is resolved, we should get together some time.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
I fail to understand how one gets any real exercise on an Ebike. 4 years ago when we were in Park City staying at the Worldmark I would ride my Hybrid Bike the 4 or 5 miles uphill to the City Center of Park City. It was a much easier ride back.
It depends on the ebike. Ours are Trek. 8 gears and 4 levels of the Bosch motor. We must still pedal. You can’t sit and just ride. I usually use 7th or 8th gear and the lowest motor boost. It gives a lot of exercise and resistance. One of our neighbors bought one that they just sit and ride - obviously no exercise!