• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

"Impossible" list?

Mamianka

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dear Folks - Maybe I am just confused, but I would like a list of those places that are ONLY obtainable - even if only for a few days, if one has The Trust Points. We are legacy owners, enrolled, and have traded for DC points, and plan to in following years, but as we make our plans, we need to know which places are *verboten* - because we are NOT going to buy Trust points. Any hope of getting into Crystal Shores, for example, for 5 nights with my lowly Legacy points - or do I have to have at least SOME Trust points to get my foot into the door, and then spend Legacy points for the remaining days? Not that I would DO that - we still do not want to buy any more ANYTHING from Marriott. so - a list of the *off-limits* places would help greatly with our multi-year planning.

Thanks.
Mamianka

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Dear Folks - Maybe I am just confused, but I would like a list of those places that are ONLY obtainable - even if only for a few days, if one has The Trust Points. We are legacy owners, enrolled, and have traded for DC points, and plan to in following years, but as we make our plans, we need to know which places are *verboten* - because we are NOT going to buy Trust points. Any hope of getting into Crystal Shores, for example, for 5 nights with my lowly Legacy points - or do I have to have at least SOME Trust points to get my foot into the door, and then spend Legacy points for the remaining days? Not that I would DO that - we still do not want to buy any more ANYTHING from Marriott. so - a list of the *off-limits* places would help greatly with our multi-year planning.

Thanks.
Mamianka

At the moment, I do not believe any place is off-limits. I am curious if when they add new properties to the Trust in new places, if the quantity available is so low it will feel off-limits to us (because I believe Trust Point users have first crack) but I don't believe anything will be structurally off-limits.

Here is an example -- assume for the same of argument that Marriott buys a 10 unit villa in Tuscany and sticks in the Trust. Those 10 units are in demand and Trust Point users will have the first access to them. Until more pure Trust Point users emerge, we legacy point users will have success accessing those properties. But over time, it will become harder and harder for a pure legacy point owner to get it because they simply are booked first by Trust Point owners.

Does that make sense? That is my understanding and my expectation.

Best,

Greg

Whirl

TUG Member
Reaction score

Thanks.
Mamianka
Is there any place that is really impossible?

For what it is worth, I just booked 2 units for 8 nights in mid august for crystal shores. There was ample availability for additional units for our week and the prior week. We chose the later week hoping that more kids had returned to school and it would be quieter, since we start late.

NJMOM2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Abound Club Points
Marriott Harbour Lake
Marriott OceanWatch
My friend had a unit at Crystal Shores last winter break from NY schools - I think it was Presidents week. He used the 800 points plus along with his legacy points.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I agree with Greg - at the moment there aren't any properties which are unavailable to folks using DC Points from enrolled/converted Weeks.

I think that in the future it's possible that they may restrict new properties to DC Trust Members only, but I wouldn't bet the house on it. Or, I wouldn't expect it to happen anytime in the near future. The success of the program depends on a symbiotic relationship between Exchange (enrolled) and Trust Members - if Exchange Members are blocked from certain properties they will be less likely to convert their Weeks to DC Points thereby limiting the intervals available in the DC Exchange Company; and, Trust Members are being "sold" on the flexibility of the points system giving them access to the entire network of resorts.

I think it's more probable that in the near future there will be Collections offerings that are restricted to Trust Members only, similar to the way some of the Collections are now restricted to only those Trust and Exchange Members with Premier and Premier Plus status.

But for right now, there aren't any properties that have had every available interval conveyed to the Trust. And only three of the existing resorts - Custom House, StreamSide and Mountain Valley Lodge - haven't had any intervals conveyed to it, which means that for all intents and purposes, every resort but those can be considered a Trust property. (Here's Dioxide's thread with the ongoing Trust conveyances.)

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
I have a question that I think can fit into this thread.

It is my understanding that legacy owners must convert their week(s) to points before looking to see what's available. Is this true? If so, it could be rather risky, because if you convert your week to points and are then unable to reserve a week that you want using those points, you probably cannot get back into your home resort with points, either (due to "skim"). I really can't see why anyone would do this.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I have a question that I think can fit into this thread.

It is my understanding that legacy owners must convert their week(s) to points before looking to see what's available. Is this true? If so, it could be rather risky, because if you convert your week to points and are then unable to reserve a week that you want using those points, you probably cannot get back into your home resort with points, either (due to "skim"). I really can't see why anyone would do this.

If you go through the online system to book with Points, then yes, you must convert your Week to Points first. And, if you want to go on a DC Waiting List then you must convert your Weeks to Points first.

BUT, if you call a VOA, they can check availability without you first committing to converting your Week to Points; and, you can make a Weeks reservation in the usual way and then later cancel that reservation and convert the Week to DC Points. So, you can book your Week at your home resort and call in periodically to check availability of any DC exchanges you're considering. If one opens up, you can cancel the Weeks reservation, convert the Week to Points, and book the Points reservation all during that same call. (Of course, all this depends on the various reservation windows and transaction deadlines.)

Mamianka

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok Guys - part of me feels reassured after your responses - and the other part of my brain is still in the Two Buckets discussion. What happened to all the posts that read "You'll NEVER get into *that* place unless you have ALL the points needed in a Trust Bucket - that is why you need MORE POINTS!" And all the posts that said (truthfully) that buying Trust points does NOT make all your other Legacy points into Trust points - so - why wold I even NEED any Trust points? Huh??? If I have plenty of Legacy DC points - why the BUCKET discussion at all? I asked my sales rep (Out of Office for a while) to tell me what places I have NO CHANCE of getting into with only Legacy points - of course, he is going to tell me that I NEED MORE POINTS - the Trust kind - but I want to know WHY I even need any at all? Does this make any sense to you? Am I even expressing this cogently? Not an immediate issues - but we all like to plan ahead . .

Thanks,

Mamianka

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Ok Guys - part of me feels reassured after your responses - and the other part of my brain is still in the Two Buckets discussion. What happened to all the posts that read "You'll NEVER get into *that* place unless you have ALL the points needed in a Trust Bucket - that is why you need MORE POINTS!" And all the posts that said (truthfully) that buying Trust points does NOT make all your other Legacy points into Trust points - so - why wold I even NEED any Trust points? Huh??? If I have plenty of Legacy DC points - why the BUCKET discussion at all? I asked my sales rep (Out of Office for a while) to tell me what places I have NO CHANCE of getting into with only Legacy points - of course, he is going to tell me that I NEED MORE POINTS - the Trust kind - but I want to know WHY I even need any at all? Does this make any sense to you? Am I even expressing this cogently? Not an immediate issues - but we all like to plan ahead . .

Thanks,

Mamianka

You need them because the sales person has a family to feed.