• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

II trades that seem improbable - Studio to 2BR/3BR

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
Looking for TUGgers II expert feedback please if this could possibly be accurate...

Considering buying a resale Edgewater Beach Resort in Dennis Port, Mass annual studio 1-52 largely due to the seller's statements on II trading power. Seller says their week is randomly assigned to them and they immediately deposit to II.

Seller states they have traded the studio for 3BR in Kilkenny Ireland, 3BR outside of Disney Paris, 2BR Marriott Hilton Head Island, 2-3BR Scottsdale and Sedona. Doesn't specify beyond the Marriott what brand or when they traveled to these locations so could be lower end II properties and off seasons for sure.

Would appreciate any feedback on if a studio at a TUG rated 7.43 property and II unrated property would likely trade for these larger units.

Interval
TDI 27

1680265426253.png

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Anything is possible and a lot depends on how far out they make their trades. There are some garbage studios in Cocoa Beach that trade for the best Marriott or Vistana 2BR and 3BR units because the people are diligent checking II for last minute deposits/cancellations inside the 59 day Flexchange window. Those cancellations are usually not in preference.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Remember that you will be paying 2-3 steps worth of "upgrade fees" for any of those, which are $99/step for a basic II member.

My bias is always to buy something I can imagine using myself and that seems desirable used as is. If that's true, then trade power will be fine, I will have an exit strategy, etc.

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
Remember that you will be paying 2-3 steps worth of "upgrade fees" for any of those, which are $99/step for a basic II member.

My bias is always to buy something I can imagine using myself and that seems desirable used as is. If that's true, then trade power will be fine, I will have an exit strategy, etc.
@bnoble Great callout on the size upgrade fee thanks. I'm following up with the resort to see if the random 1-52 week assignment is true since that is a real negative for me...receiving a week 6 on Cape Cod not great for anything that I can imagine.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm with dioxide 45 saying anything is possible -- not the same as probable.
Do I doubt the trades mentioned, no. But under what parameters?

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
I'm with dioxide 45 saying anything is possible -- not the same as probable.
Do I doubt the trades mentioned, no. But under what parameters?
@b2bailey thanks and the seller is not very forthcoming with details like that, sigh

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The seller could print his II history page.

The UK resorts are an easy trade. It may have traded for a Marriott long ago, but these days the preference period is in place much longer. (And, long ago, there was no upsize fee.)

II unrated, size= Studio are both negatives in the trade power calculation. Add to that an off-season week, and you would have a real hard time getting a desirable exchange. You would have to be the first to see a cancellation and confirm it online.

Last edited:

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
The seller could print his II history page.

The UK resorts are an easy trade. It may have traded for a Marriott long ago, but these days the preference period is in place much longer. (And, long ago, there was no upsize fee.)

II unrated, size= Studio are both negatives in the trade power calculation. Add to that an off-season week, and you would have a real hard time getting a desirable exchange. You would have to be the first to see a cancellation and confirm it online.
@HudsHut great idea on the II history page!

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
Update - After I contacted the resort I found that this Edgewater ownership is weeks 1-12 and 48/49/50
Seller further explained she takes advantage of II bonus weeks so her II results not specifically tied to this studio.
This is a pass for me but good edumacation.

Appreciate the rapid expertise responses! Love TUG!

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
FWIW -- Paris Disney isn't a hard trade. The reason it isn't a hard trade is that it isn't Paris. Paris is hard. May as well buy a getaway levels of hard.

I've traded for a bunch in Ireland. Also not hard. And Sedona is part of my system, so also not hard. I haven't visited Scottsdale or Hilton Head.

noreenkate

TUG Member
Reaction score
Update - After I contacted the resort I found that this Edgewater ownership is weeks 1-12 and 48/49/50
Seller further explained she takes advantage of II bonus weeks so her II results not specifically tied to this studio.
This is a pass for me but good edumacation.

Appreciate the rapid expertise responses! Love TUG!
wow, talk about due diligence.

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch

hapstersmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
I inherited one studio unit with kitchen and three without kitchen at Martha's Vineyard. The place is a glorified motel. Nicely kept, put really, like Motel 6 with nicer paint and location. The rooms and weeks are fixed. I have traded these for one to two bedrooms for places such as Marriott Waiohai (where we later bought resale), The Cliffs at Princeville, a 3 bedroom penthouse at Ko'olina, a premium one bedroom at Westin Desert Willow, one and two bedrooms at Maui Marriott Ocean Club, and a premium one bedroom at Westin Ocean Resort, among others. I am definitely a high end resort type on a bargain beer budget, and I have gotten fantastic trades even using those units rather than the nicer ones we own in HI and Scottsdale. To me, part of getting a good trade on a lesser property is the location of the property (I mean, there are only two timeshares on MV and neither is a "resort" but the other is nicer than mine); another is the willingness and ability to log in constantly and search for good sites when actively looking to trade; and the last is the ability to be flexible on dates of travel. I used to teach at college level and our son was in school with a different schedule of vacations than my school had, and despite that, we still were able to get good trades by being flexible with booking late on cancellations. Once I quit teaching, it became easier as more weeks were doable. Now that the kid is out of HS, we can just go whenever. I've never done a request trade with II, but using a small one bedroom EOY worth of points from Wyndham Beachwalk, we got a 2 bedroom at Disney Key West along with a studio at Disney Boardwalk for July all the same check in date so we could travel with other family members one summer, and still had some points left over. That one I attribute strictly to the trading power of the Waikiki location rather than perseverance, because it was a request situation for DVC Orlando only.