• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

II refusal to extend points

Puddingpie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought a certain number of points 2 years ago fully expecting to use them sometime in 2020. Then COVID hit and I had to delay other travel plans . I now have only until January of 2022 to use the points and while I have a request in for Hawaii for April/22 no dice to use the points already in my account. This means a $1000 loss. Any suggestions on how to get II to extend their expiry policy?

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Probably not. Companies do what they want to do. Sometimes it benefits their customers, sometimes not. Kind of like playing red or black on roulette...

George

Dandelione

Reaction score
Could you do an exchange now for a resort you don't want, with a check-in just before your points expire in Jan, buy e-plus on it so you can retrade to something else within a year of that initial exchange?
Not sure if ongoing search works for e-plus retrades though, so you'd probably need to manually find that good trade to go on.

Puddingpie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Probably not. Companies do what they want to do. Sometimes it benefits their customers, sometimes not. Kind of like playing red or black on roulette...

George
I think groups like TUG should have enough clout to influence these exchange companies.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Can't you go somewhere else other than Hawaii?

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
deleted

Last edited:

robertk2012

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Villages, Westin Kanapalli
Or maybe people should understand they purchased property and its not the management company or II's responsibility to cover your loss of use. It is great they provided some flexibility but there is no way to double/triple the rooms available for the period after COVID.

I think groups like TUG should have enough clout to influence these exchange companies.

Polly Metallic

Official TUG Pool Recruiter
TUG Member
Reaction score
Or maybe people should understand they purchased property and its not the management company or II's responsibility to cover your loss of use. It is great they provided some flexibility but there is no way to double/triple the rooms available for the period after COVID.

Very true. If everyone extends unused weeks/points a year or two, there won’t be enough exchanges to go around. It’s hard enough under normal circumstances to get a desirable trade.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson

I think you would find that TUG members who are also III members compromise a very small percentage of all II members, so there’s not as much clout as you might want to think. I know when we’re on a timeshare vacation, I run into very few that know about TUG, very few who show interest in TUG when I encourage them to check it out, and even fewer actual TUG members.

Granted I don’t go around greeting strangers at timeshares announcing I’m a TUG member, but in the past I have spoken with numerous guests around the pool, hot tub or beach and none of them have ever heard about TUG. There are very few members on this site I’ve ever met in person, and I enjoy meeting other people and talking about their experience, views and ideas.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I bought a certain number of points 2 years ago fully expecting to use them sometime in 2020. Then COVID hit and I had to delay other travel plans . I now have only until January of 2022 to use the points and while I have a request in for Hawaii for April/22 no dice to use the points already in my account. This means a $1000 loss. Any suggestions on how to get II to extend their expiry policy?

We find ourselves in a similar position, but with MVC points, HGVC points and weeks we own instead of your situation with II points. It’s taken some mental gymnastics to move, rearrange, convert and extend our points/weeks.

In the end, we have points that will expire that amount to $2,700 in MF’s. I’m still working out how to best use those points, but it’s not how we originally planned. What we had planned just isn’t feasible and won’t happen. CoVid really screwed up our plans shortly after increasing our ownership. The trick is to be flexible. It might not be your first or second choice of locations/timeshares. Heck, it might not even be you third or fourth choice. You just have to be open minded or lose your points.

Am I happy? I’d be happier if nothing had changed. We’re just going to make the best of a bad situation and look forward when this is all behind us. It’s been one adjustment after another. I’m just happy we are still taking vacations when others are just happy to still have a roof over their head or are worried they might lose their housing because they lost income/jobs during the pandemic

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome, Puddingpie:
Where else can you travel between now and Jan 2022. It is time to be flexible so that you do NOT lose your points. You already have II's decision; that is not going to change. So, the only thing you can control is whether you are willing to travel in the next few months. Change your search to somewhere else now, ideally a drive-to destination.

jules54

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you own Hilton,Marriott,Wyndham or any group that allows you to rent your weeks or points then get busy and start looking for renters. Not Interval points or exchanges you can not rent those. The resorts have to come directly from your resort ownership. Yes it is work, yes you have to read the Want To Rent forum. Or advertise on Tug or elsewhere. That is better than eating 2700.00 or 27,000.00 dollars.
In 2019 pre Covid I had Interval points that were supposed to expire 12/31/2019. I call Interval wanting to extend the points as this was my first year using Interval points and had only had the points since September of 2019. The agent told me I could not extend the points, but what I could do was make an exchange by Dec.31,2019 and the exchange could be for the next year 2020. I did just that on Dec.29 I made an exchange for October 17,2020 for Marriott Grande Vista in Orlando. I called and spoke to an agent. The point value of the resort was full value 125,000 pts. I didn’t have that many points left for 2019 as we travel almost the entire month of Nov.2019 using points. Interval agent just took the rest of the points I needed from 2020 points. I think it was 25,000 Done deal. Of course when October 2020 came around no Disney trip because of Covid. i called Interval and the agent Desarray ext.8579 after 3 pm and she moved the confirmation to new dates in May 2021 at the same resort same size room with no extra exchange fee or any extra charges. The May dates the resort was even more points and she still did an even exchange. Immediately when the new dates showed up in my account I put the etrade plus on the exchange for 59.00. Stepson called in January and said they couldn’t go in May because of wrk, school and health complications. I used the etrade and regraded for a 3 bedroom at Marriott Grande Vista for late this month that a different Son will use. Cost 12,500 more points.
Disclaimer: Please do not PM me asking me how to rent your stuff or where to advertise. Read the forums the same way I did and learned how. You can PM me if you want to give me your points that would to JUST GREAT lol. Good Luck

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't see this as any different that when I had two Fixed Weeks (one in Galveston and one in Biloxi) shut down for a year each for repairs resulting from hurricane damage. The way I looked at losing my Weeks was that it was an act of God and came with the territory. I just shrugged my shoulder and moved on. Surprisingly although both Resorts took a year to repair neither required a Special Assessment...

George

Puddingpie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome, Puddingpie:
Where else can you travel between now and Jan 2022. It is time to be flexible so that you do NOT lose your points. You already have II's decision; that is not going to change. So, the only thing you can control is whether you are willing to travel in the next few months. Change your search to somewhere else now, ideally a drive-to destination.
Basically Canada is still shut tight and I can’t go anywhere without the vaccine

Puddingpie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Very true. If everyone extends unused weeks/points a year or two, there won’t be enough exchanges to go around. It’s hard enough under normal circumstances to get a desirable trade.
Personally I don’t really understand why points I’ve deposited with II should ever expire.

Puddingpie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Could you do an exchange now for a resort you don't want, with a check-in just before your points expire in Jan, buy e-plus on it so you can retrade to something else within a year of that initial exchange?
Not sure if ongoing search works for e-plus retrades though, so you'd probably need to manually find that good trade to go on.
Thank you for the suggestion. Might be worth a try.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

robertk2012

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Villages, Westin Kanapalli
Personally I don’t really understand why points I’ve deposited with II should ever expire.
Again...there is a limited supply of property available.