• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 31 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 31st Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ignoring the big red words for last minute rentals

bevans

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
hgvc Flamingo, hgvc Paradise
I have always felt it it quite clear when a last minute rental is allowed and amount that can be charged is allowed. Lately it seems that even people that have been members for a while as well as newbies time and time again try the patience of the moderators on this issue. I think the rules are fair and applaud the moderators for trying hard to delete as soon as they appear.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim) NEW: 2 Lawa'i Beach Resort!
With newbies, I figure it's just a matter of not reading the rules, but with long-term members, it is annoying when they try to sneak something by.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim) NEW: 2 Lawa'i Beach Resort!
Right now I'm remembering the Harry Potter books/movies when the kids got a "Howler" message - I think that would be effective!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I think some people realize that even if their post is up for a few minutes or few hours, it may still generate the enough enquiries to complete a transaction.

Regarding the limits, the date limit makes sense for both the LMR wanted and offered forums, but I don't understand a dollar limit in the LMR wanted forum. I know certain negotiations can happen behind the scenes, but why can't someone indicate they are willing to pay $1000 for a rental they want?

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
... I don't understand a dollar limit in the LMR wanted forum....

Maybe to give meaning to the word "Discount" in the title?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When the limit was $600, people wanted $800, now that the limit is $800, people want $1,000. Remember: the objective of the forum is for owners to recoup some of their money when they find themselves with a personal reservation they can't use at the last minute. It was never intended to be a place to post for-profit rentals. Keeping the rate low makes it less attractive to people doing for-profit rentals. This has been explained many, many times, I don't plan to debate it.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
When the limit was $600, people wanted $800, now that the limit is $800, people want $1,000. Remember: the objective of the forum is for owners to recoup some of their money when they find themselves with a personal reservation they can't use at the last minute. It was never intended to be a place to post for-profit rentals. Keeping the rate low makes it less attractive to people doing for-profit rentals. This has been explained many, many times, I don't plan to debate it.
Again, I am not referring to LMR offered forum! Is anyone even reading that part?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The rules are the same for both forums, and raising the price in the Rentals Wanted forum would also encourage for-profit rentals in that forum as well.

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
Note that the dates and dollar amounts mentioned in red apply to offers to rent made in public posts.

Actually, the rules in the Last Minute Rentals Wanted forum say NOTHING about mentioning what one is willing to pay, although people seldom include this.

They DO limit you to what you can offer in a public reply. It is reasonable that if one is responding to a post in which someone has openly posted they are willing to pay up to a certain price, that one should be able to offer up to that limit. Otherwise, replies are bound by the stated forum limits. One is always able to make an offer outside these limits via private conversation not publicly visible.

I am updating the LMR rules to clarify this.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Note that the dates and dollar amounts mentioned in red apply to offers to rent made in public posts.

Actually, the rules in the Last Minute Rentals Wanted forum say NOTHING about mentioning what one is willing to pay, although people seldom include this.

They DO limit you to what you can offer in a public reply. It is reasonable that if one is responding to a post in which someone has openly posted they are willing to pay up to a certain price, that one should be able to offer up to that limit. Otherwise, replies are bound by the stated forum limits. One is always able to make an offer outside these limits via private conversation not publicly visible.

I am updating the LMR rules to clarify this.
I just know that one recent poster complained that their willingness to pay more than $800 in a LMR wanted post resulted in their posting being deleted because it was over the limit. Thus why I am asking. So I guess the question is, can a poster asking for a rental in LMR wanted publicly indicate that they are willing to pay more than $800?

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
I just know that one recent poster complained that their willingness to pay more than $800 in a LMR wanted post resulted in their posting being deleted because it was over the limit.
The LMR Wanted posting rules have never mentioned a limit on posting what one was willing to pay. The limitation applies to the asking price offered by those replying to a want-to-rent query. If a post offering to pay more than the current limit was removed, it was done in error as a misinterpretation of the posted rules.
So I guess the question is, can a poster asking for a rental in LMR wanted publicly indicate that they are willing to pay more than $800?
Yes, there is nothing to prohibit it.