• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

If You Need a Passport, Get It Now

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
If You Need a Passport, Get It Now - by Arlene Satchell/ Business/ Tourism/ sun-sentinel.com

"For those of you whose passport is expiring soon, get ready to wait — perhaps for a long time.

Beginning in 2017, the wait time for renewal could jump to as much as 10 weeks, or more. Now, it takes four to six weeks.

Triggering the long delays will be an expected surge in passport renewals starting in 2017 and stretching through 2018

An improving economy, cheaper airfares and more disposable income also may spark overseas travel and create a logjam at the passport office, the U.S. State Department predicts..."

900x506

The U.S. State Department expects an increase in passport applications through 2018. (US State Department)

Richard

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Might also have been caused by the huge number of passports issued during the last real travel boom of 2007-08 before the economy tanked.

I just looked at ours and see that we fall into the affected group. Ho-hum. It's always something.

We come from a line of people with itchy feet. FIL renewed his last passport at 93. Where he went after that didn't require one.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Mine expires in '17. Just another minor annoyance. ;)

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Looks like the story requires registration?

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Looks like the story requires registration?

Hi Dioxide,

I was able to open the link in Firefox without a registration.

Not sure why it didn't work for you.

Richard

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Hi Dioxide,

I was able to open the link in Firefox without a registration.

Not sure why it didn't work for you.

Richard

Not sure why. Both Chrome and Internet Explorer are requiring registration or subscribing. If I click the 'Not Now' link it sends me to a different landing page.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
It wanted a subscription here too, but basically the headline captures the gist of the article.

Jim

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
We have to renew our passports this fall even though they don't expire until Sept. 16th 2016 :mad: We are spending the winter in a country that requires that our passports be valid for 6 mos from the date we leave so we will be short by 15 days! Grrr!

Going to spend the extra $40 for the 10 year one this time (instead of $120 for a 5 yr).

~Diane

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
<<snipped>>
Going to spend the extra $40 for the 10 year one this time (instead of $120 for a 5 yr). ~Diane

That's a great idea, I didn't know it was an option thanks!

(Ours expire in the spring of 2016 so we're OK for now and will renew after the first of the year.)

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does the US renew your passport from the expiration of the current or do you lose days.

I recently renewed my UK passport and had a 10y9m passport returned as the New expiration is 10y6m from the old one.
The UK appears to be issuing 10y6m passports to cover this 6 m rule mentioned by other posters.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does the US renew your passport from the expiration of the current or do you lose days.

We lose time. Our renewal is for a flat 10 years from the time the new/renewal passport is issued. It would be nice if the renewal 10 years was appended to the original expiration date, but that would make too much sense and we're dealing with Gummint here.

Jim

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
As are we Brits :)

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

We are Canadian so the prices I was referring to are our government prices. We will not be given any credit for unused time on the passports. In other words we paid full price for a 5 year passport but only will have it for 4 years! The 10 year passports are relatively new.

I want to keep renewing my passport without ever letting it lapse as there are now new rules for married women applying for new passports in Canada. We now must supply our Birth Certificate with our married name on it. I was born a Murphy and never changed my BC to my married name 39 yrs ago and dont intend on doing it now. As long as I just renew my passport I dont need to send in any ID other than my current passport.

~Diane

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I want to keep renewing my passport without ever letting it lapse as there are now new rules for married women applying for new passports in Canada. We now must supply our Birth Certificate with our married name on it. I was born a Murphy and never changed my BC to my married name 39 yrs ago and dont intend on doing it now. As long as I just renew my passport I dont need to send in any ID other than my current passport.

Altering your BC to your married name just seems wrong to me.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
The whole 'married name/maiden name' thing baffles me anyway. Why don't men take the wife's name? Why not just append the married name to the maiden name? Common in Spanish culture- makes genealogy a snap for many generations. DW and I kept the names we came with. Seems simple to me.

Sorry for the thread detour.

Jim

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Altering your BC to your married name just seems wrong to me.
Huh the birth cert is a point in time. Then things change.
Why ever alter and reissue!
The whole 'married name/maiden name' thing baffles me anyway. Why don't men take the wife's name? Why not just append the married name to the maiden name? Common in Spanish culture- makes genealogy a snap for many generations. DW and I kept the names we came with. Seems simple to me.

Jim
A friend of mine is switching to wife's name. Has no love for stepfathers family name.

Bill4728

Reaction score
We are Canadian so the prices I was referring to are our government prices. We will not be given any credit for unused time on the passports. In other words we paid full price for a 5 year passport but only will have it for 4 years! The 10 year passports are relatively new.

~Diane

When a friend got married in Canada about 20 years ago they had a policy that made great sense to me. When a women got married she was given two legal names her birth name and her married name both were her legal name.

Seem to me that was a great policy. Women should not have to give up their name when they get married but still can use their husband's last name.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)

~Diane

Thanks . . . I didn't realize that.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Note that is for Canadian Passports. Only a 10 year passport in US. Different rules may apply.

Sandy, Canada does have 10 year passports now, but as you stated, there are most likely different rules for applying for new ones as opposed to getting a renewal in the USA than what we have up here.

~Diane

Gaozhen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview Las Vegas, Divi Little Bay

Jim

We did the same, I kept my name. Much easier, though sometimes confusing to people. Totally worth it though.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
We lose time. Our renewal is for a flat 10 years from the time the new/renewal passport is issued. It would be nice if the renewal 10 years was appended to the original expiration date, but that would make too much sense and we're dealing with Gummint here.

Jim

We only lose time ifyou renew early. If you renew after your passport is expired, your expiration isn't back dated. So it all depends on how you look at it. For those that renew any time it is getting ready to expire, they lose time. For those that just renew when needing it for a trip, they may not.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

We only lose time ifyou renew early. If you renew after your passport is expired, your expiration isn't back dated. So it all depends on how you look at it. For those that renew any time it is getting ready to expire, they lose time. For those that just renew when needing it for a trip, they may not.

Canadians can not 'renew' an 'expired' passport. Once the passport expiry date has passed then you don't have a valid passport & must apply for a new passport. They don't care if it expired 1 day or 10 years ago, it's expired. A passport renewal application must be received by the processing center on or before the expiration date. The only way to not loose much time off the current one is to take it to one of our passport offices and apply in person to make sure they get it in time when its close to the expiry date. The old (soon to be expired) passport will have its corners clipped off by the staff there and we are allowed to keep it (as a souvenir?) if we want.

I don't understand the necessity of having a passport that's valid for another 6 mos from your return date as some countries demand. I can understand 1 month ,or maybe 3 at most, in case somebody has a medical emergency that prevents them from travelling home on their planned date, but I think 6 months is a bit long. When my mom was medivac'd home (to Ontario) from Florida they said they didn't need her passport as it was a medevac flight & they wouldn't be going through customs! :shrug:

~Diane

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
We only lose time if you renew early. If you renew after your passport is expired, your expiration isn't back dated. So it all depends on how you look at it. For those that renew any time it is getting ready to expire, they lose time. For those that just renew when needing it for a trip, they may not.

Most of the places we travel to- or carriers we travel on- require some time- often 6 months of valid 'passport time' after scheduled departure from the foreign location. I suppose that it's because we (US passport holders) get an 'automatic' 6 months visa on entry. It wouldn't work to have a 6 month visa on an expired passport.

So be it. I feel 'naked', tied down, unable to travel at a moment's notice, on a whim, whatever, if my passport is within 6 months of expiration. I don't know how I'd feel if it actually expired. That's never happened to me since I got my first one over 45 years ago.

It would be more convenient for me and mine, if the US State Department would append 10 MORE years on a passport renewal, but they don't. So we just have, in effect, 9 year passports.

Compared to traveling on one of the passports of lots of other nations, a US passport is truly a 'key to the world'. No passport is more welcome in more places. Period.

Jim