• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

If you ever doubted why timesharing is great...

alanraycole

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just for kicks, I checked what it would cost for a two bedroom at the Westin Princeville during the week I'll be there in mid January, 2009. The price? $4970... yikes! What did I pay to stay there in a two bedroom? Counting the maintenance fee for my home resort and the exchange fee.... drum beat, please... a mere $800 (round numbers, since I don't want to look it up)... the difference is absurd! But, who am I to complain! My stay will be that much sweeter!:whoopie:

To top it off, they said because I made my reservation so long ago, I'll almost certainly get my requested building. I told them I wanted either 4 or 7... anyone know of a better option? If so, please let me know.

To top off the top, I'll be there for two more weeks, one at the Shearwater... got it using a bonus week, so it cost nothing except the exchange fee; and the other week at the Lawaii... ironically, I paid the most to stay there... about $1000 counting maintenance and exchange fees.

Don't ya just love timesharing? :clap:

Last edited:

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

Yup! If we had to pay $4-$5K for a week somewhere we wouldn't do it.

By owning TS we not only vacation in a 2 for Motel 6 prices, we take annual vacations, which we probably wouldn't bother to do otherwise.

Heading for Kings Creek in Williamsburg Sunday, for the cost of a MF and exchange fee, and we won't be crammed into a dreary hotel room :D .

pcgirl54

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
Agreed! In May we stayed at Westin Ka'anapali in Maui. Stellar resort. It would have cost us shy of 5k to stay there for the week not including meals/airfare or car rental. My MF/exchange fee and annual II fee came to $826 total.

We could have never have afforded that trip w/o our timeshare.

It is indeed one of the best purchases we have made.

Enjoy your trip it sounds just heavenly!

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Luxury Accommodations At Motel 6 & Super 8 Rates.

Don't ya just love timesharing?
Absolutely, cousin.

Once we caught on to resales, timesharing became the only way to vacation.

Last Call & Instant Exchange are just icing on the cake.

Is this a great country or what ?

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

caribbean

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Yep !! Got to love TSharing. We go 6-7 weeks a year. When I add up all my fees for the year and divide by the number of nights, I usually avearge $75-$80 a night for either a 1BR or 2BR, mostly GC, and most often in the Caribbean. All except one week is through trades so includes RCI fees.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Alan, we are also staying at Westin Princeville, but we will be there in April. Mom is going with us again, and I would love to know what building is best, so we can possibly get a good view of something better than a parking lot while there.

I am sure jealous you are staying at Shearwater. I couldn't get a thing for Shearwater. How did you get a bonus week into Shearwater? How did that work? I cannot even get last-minute exchanges into Shearwater lately, so I decided not to risk it and just took the Westin for the first week of our stay. We are at sunny Poipu Point the second week.

swift

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Yep, love it, love it, love it!!!! We will be staying at Smuggs in the 3 bedroom Owl units for a mere $400 ( my MF) plus exchange fees. Can't beat that!!!!!!!:whoopie:

Last edited:

lprstn

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you kidding! You are soooo right! I love TSing and some people even say that they saved by purchasing retail, but purchasing resale is all the more sweeter.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but to add my two cents:

Stayed over Thanksgiving week at Kauai Beach Villas in Lihue. 1br 2ba oceanfront unit. Since I'm an owner there, the only cost was the 2008 maintenance fee. That was about $800, or about $114 per night.

The most comparable room at the Hilton next door would have cost $2098 for the same period.

Yeah, I do like timesharing. A lot. :)

Dave

alanraycole

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am sure jealous you are staying at Shearwater. I couldn't get a thing for Shearwater. How did you get a bonus week into Shearwater? How did that work? I cannot even get last-minute exchanges into Shearwater lately, so I decided not to risk it and just took the Westin for the first week of our stay. We are at sunny Poipu Point the second week.

It was a Hilton bonus week, which in RCI is treated like any other Hilton week. And, for better or worse, Hilton is top dog in RCI... I guess RCI doesn't want Hilton to stray away. Hilton is my favorite timeshare system, but one thing they could do to make me happier is to be dual RCI and II... I presume they have the clout to be highly ranked in both.

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
And I don't even own a Hilton but I like them

It was a Hilton bonus week, which in RCI is treated like any other Hilton week. And, for better or worse, Hilton is top dog in RCI... I guess RCI doesn't want Hilton to stray away. Hilton is my favorite timeshare system, but one thing they could do to make me happier is to be dual RCI and II... I presume they have the clout to be highly ranked in both.

Why on earth would a true quality brand, although horribly lacking in different locations, like Hilton want to lower themselves to be in II? The Moldy Pineapple designation is meaningless as it goes not only to some great resorts like the better Marriotts, but also to those nowhere near deserving like most Wastegates. It has no real meaning (just as the 5* didn't before it).

Hilton carries a true top quality brand name, delivers the resort units and experience like few others and doesn't need to play the "quality" game. Saying you are isn't the same as actually being it. DVC found out that the slogan is just that and came home to RCI as of later this week. Maybe more are on the way....

Larry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just for kicks, I checked what it would cost for a two bedroom at the Westin Princeville during the week I'll be there in mid January, 2009. The price? $4970... yikes! What did I pay to stay there in a two bedroom? Counting the maintenance fee for my home resort and the exchange fee.... drum beat, please... a mere $800 (round numbers, since I don't want to look it up)... the difference is absurd! But, who am I to complain! My stay will be that much sweeter!:whoopie:

To top it off, they said because I made my reservation so long ago, I'll almost certainly get my requested building. I told them I wanted either 4 or 7... anyone know of a better option? If so, please let me know.

To top off the top, I'll be there for two more weeks, one at the Shearwater... got it using a bonus week, so it cost nothing except the exchange fee; and the other week at the Lawaii... ironically, I paid the most to stay there... about $1000 counting maintenance and exchange fees.

Absolutely loving it!!! Just got back from Windjammer Landing in St. Lucia where we had 2BR 2BTh Villa with private plunge pool and 5 decks with awesome views of Beach and bay. Just checked for prices and the week we were there would have cost anywhere from $2,800-$4,500. Our total cost including maintenance and exchange fee was about $900 but since all of my 8weeks maintenance is covered by my 4 weeks of rental income cost was just $199 for exchange and $225 charge by resort for housekeeping and energy.

Do I LOVE TIMESHARING!!!!!!

YOU BET!!!!!:cheer: :banana: :hi:

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I think the best deal I have gotten so far is 1 BR with Plunge pool for 3 nights at The Residences at the Crane for a total cost of $275. The website rents the same units for $2,645.16 with tax, and that price is even 30% off the rack rate. So my $275 cost is about 10% of the retail price, so about 90% off. Now that is a bargin.

I also got a week at the Manhattan Club Studio for my costs of $550 for the week. Even with the $15 per night crappy Hospitality Fee, that still makes it a deal for 7 nights in NYC.

Steve

Reaction score
Enough already.

Why on earth would a true quality brand, although horribly lacking in different locations, like Hilton want to lower themselves to be in II? The Moldy Pineapple designation is meaningless as it goes not only to some great resorts like the better Marriotts, but also to those nowhere near deserving like most Wastegates. It has no real meaning (just as the 5* didn't before it).

Hilton carries a true top quality brand name, delivers the resort units and experience like few others and doesn't need to play the "quality" game. Saying you are isn't the same as actually being it. DVC found out that the slogan is just that and came home to RCI as of later this week. Maybe more are on the way....

John,

Must you hijack every thread with your stale old rants against II? Enough already. Obviously you REALLY dislike II, but it doesn't reflect very well on you that you can't just give it a rest.

As for Hilton not wanting to "lower themselves" by becoming dual affiliated with II, that's just plain silly. II has so many high end resorts...including Four Seasons, Marriott, Hyatt, Westin, Sheraton, the Royals, etc. It is obvious that many Hilton owners would enjoy the opportunity to exchange into these and other II resorts. Hilton would hardly be lowering themselves to be in this company. If anything, Hilton might struggle to measure up.

As for your constant complaints about II's Pineapple/Laurel (formerly 5 star) award, this is silly too. RCI has had PLENTY of resorts with the Gold Crown award that didn't deserve it. I've stayed at several of them, and there are lots more. Both major exchange companies have resorts that truly deserve their respective quality awards and those that don't (but somehow got the reward anyway). Acting as if this is somehow unique to II is misleading at best and downright dishonest at worst.

Finally, I have no affection for Westgate and consider them to be pretty darn near the bottom of the barrel when it comes to corporate practices and ethics. However, constantly referring to the company as "Wastegate" rather than using their correct name is pretty juvenile. I'm not sure what you hope to accomplish through your countless negative posts on the same couple of topics year in and year out, but your methods and your obsessive repetition certainly don't impress me much.

As for the topic of this thread, timesharing truly is a great...and fun...way to vacation. Here's to many happy timeshare trips in 2009 for all of us. :)

Steve

Last edited:

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
I stink at this.
I use my Marriotts and Hiltons mostly for exchanges within my own systems. Gotta stop doing that and get out there. Plus - Marriott's fees are so high that it's not that great of a bargain right now. :eek:

Hilton - ya gotta love it. I have a one bedroom in Oahu for a week - yah!Can't wait for that one.

mecllap

TUG Member
Reaction score
For us newbies it works out to a little more -- but we're enjoying it too

For those of us who didn't discover TUG until after our first developer purchase, we still need to work in the cost of "amortizing" our original purchase. Since I'm currently in Grand Cayman enjoying my "home" resort, I'm not going to totally do the math, but we also need to factor in maybe $200 per night along with the MF, and fees to compare costs. But with AC's and getaways, we expect that eventually it will work out to be cost efficient, and we do enjoy the cost reductions for having the kitchen and some other amenities that help cut down on costs. I don't think we'd enjoy having our two holiday weeks in Grand Cayman this years, without having gotten into timesharing. (You can find my boring blog by searching for Grand Cayman travel blog mecllap). With airplane tickets, food, activities, etc. it still does come up to a few/several thousand dollars, which is out of the reach of most people.

alanraycole

TUG Member
Reaction score
Exactly!

II has so many high end resorts...including Four Seasons, Marriott, Hyatt, Westin, Sheraton, the Royals, etc. It is obvious that many Hilton owners would enjoy the opportunity to exchange into these and other II resorts.

Although I have some decent II traders... after all, I snagged the brand new Westin on Kauai with one of them... I have found no evidence they are strong enough to land a Four Seasons, or a Hyatt. Fortunately, they are strong enough to land SOME Disney, Westin, Marriott, and Sheraton (although I, personally, wouldn't include Sheraton in the top league). If Hilton was in II, maybe, I would have a shot at the Four Seasons and Hyatts, as well as ALL the Westins, and Marriotts. I have literally gotten everything I have ever asked for, exactly as I asked for it, from RCI with my Hilton bonus weeks in no time, every time.

Until then, I am glad to hear that Disney is moving to RCI. I have more and stronger RCI timeshares than in II, so maybe I'll get to try out some of those Disney Resorts that I have been thinking about. This thread is the first I've heard of the Disney switch. Maybe, I've been dreaming in the wrong direction... maybe I should be hoping for Hyat and Marriott to switch over, too... I think that would do the trick... I would buy up even more Hilton... for trading.

(I feel I must say, considering comments in this thread, that I have no significant dislike of II... I just want the best chance of exchanging into the places I want to go... so it would be nice if resorts I was interested in were all affiliated with the same exchange company, one way or the other.)

Last edited:

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Even the timeshare "resorts" that are not stellar are a great deal! We own at Lifetime in Hawaii, a floating studio/1BR and our MF's are $360 in 09. While the resort isn't oceanfront, doesn't have all the amenities that a Hilton, Sheraton or even the Wyndham have, it does have free parking and is nice, clean and very convenient to all that we want to see and do when in Waikiki and on Oahu. So for about $51.50/night we're pretty darned happy!

Our other T/S resorts are also nice and offer good value too :)

klynn

TUG Member
Reaction score
...Don't ya just love timesharing? :clap:

It is awesome for my family! Here is just one example. We are currently at Disney! Last week were in 2BR at Saratoga Springs, which we got using an AC for $299. This week, Christmas week, we have been in a studio at Old Key West, which we got using an AC for $199. Today we are moving off property (New Years Week) to a 2BR. The cost of that was very minimal. The 4th week we are moving back on Disney property and will be in a 1BR at the Boardwalk Villas, which we got using an AC for $249.

That is just one example out of many every year. TSing has allowed my family wonderful vacations!

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I have literally gotten everything I have ever asked for, exactly as I asked for it, from RCI with my Hilton bonus weeks in no time, every time.

What exactly are Hilton Bonus Weeks? Are you talking HGVC points deposited into RCI? I wouldn't consider those bonus weeks, so I am wondering if you are talking about something else?

susiequeve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, we love timesharing and I'll tell you why. Two trips to Hawaii (Kauai & Maui) basically free using Marriott Rewards. Four trips to Aruba (all 2 bdrm) paying the exchange fee, some trips using FF miles. Numerous visits to Orlando & Scottsdale (all 2bdrm) where we own. Our trade to Antigua (2 bdrm). Our trip to Harborside (Atlantis) coming in May for basically nothing, 2bdrm, internal trade with Starwood, using FF miles. Just went on the Atlantis website, this room is a staggering $9200 for the week. So, yes our timeshare purchases (even though developer purchases) have afforded us many years of wonderful vacations. :cheer:

alanraycole

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been using the term weeks, but they're...

What exactly are Hilton Bonus Weeks? Are you talking HGVC points deposited into RCI? I wouldn't consider those bonus weeks, so I am wondering if you are talking about something else?

actually free Hilton points turned into RCI weeks. I say free because they are separate from the points you get for your Hilton week/maintenance fees.... truly compimentary Hilton bonus points turned into RCI weeks.

I noticed that you are a Hilton owner. May I suggest that you call your HGVC guide and ask them how many bonus points you have. The fact that they will then proceed to check is clear evidence that such things exist. Who knows... you might actually have some that you didn't know about. Let us know what you find out.

Last edited:

alanraycole

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you have a RCI weeks account or a RCI points account?

I am sure jealous you are staying at Shearwater. I couldn't get a thing for Shearwater.

If you have a weeks account that probably explains why you never see the Shearwater available. If you have a points account, look for availability the exact day that is 10 months from the week you desire. You will almost certainly see availability. To test it, simply check for availability 10 months from today.

Last edited:

Polly Metallic

Official TUG Pool Recruiter
TUG Member
Reaction score
Timeshare ownership can provide some great bargains when you are on the right side of the transaction, but there are plenty of people on the wrong side of the value equation, thanks to the laws of supply and demand. The presence of excess supply in the exchange system, and cheap RCI rentals, devalues many timeshare weeks.

For example, a week in a nice Orlando timeshare any week of the year ought to be worth more than the typical nice hotel room, but thanks to developers over-building the region, you can frequently get Instant Escape type availability for far less than many resort's maintenance fees, and for less than a room in a mediocre hotel. One of the better values in Orlando used to be Disney DVC units, but in the last couple of years, as others here have just noted, even those weeks show up routinely as extra inventory and can be obtained for under $300.00. Is the real value of the DVC week $2700 as shown on the Disney website? Or if you can get a week pretty much whenever you want with an AC, is the real value $300?

I realize DVC is now moving to RCI, so no doubt that will end the cheap inventory of DVC units. The point remains that off season weeks, and weeks in over-built areas, can typically be had as RCI rentals or RCI or II "Extra Vacations" for less than maintenance fees, which is disheartening to the owners of those weeks.

We stayed at Marriott Grand Ocean the 1st week in March last year for far less than the owner's maintenance fees. It's a great resort, but weeks at that time of the year are available every year as II excess inventory, so I wouldn't want to own a week there in the gold or silver season (or whatever those weeks are categorized as).

We stayed at the Hacienda del Mar in Cabo San Lucas, which is the nicest resort we've ever stayed at. The hotel rates are hundreds per day for a similar unit, but RCI and SFX have excess inventory now and then for a few hundered for the entire week. What is the true value of a week there?

We have occassionally traded for weeks in areas like Williamsburg or Branson where we could have bought an "Extra Vacation" as cheaply, or perhaps cheaper, than trading, but we needed to use our week as an exchange. We have traded for shoulder season weeks where, based on rental rates, the exchange wasn't any bargain once our maintenance fees and exchange fees were factored in. (I realize a points vs. weeks system can often make the trade more equitable).

There are plenty of trades that aren't stellar deals. Actually, there are probably more exchanges that fall into that non-stellar category than there are ones that are the sweet deals described here. And it's rather sad to think that the people who own the best weeks often didn't get a very good value for their money considering that others are able to trade into their intervals for a fraction of their own cost.

Last edited:

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Just 1 More Reason . . .

The point remains that off season weeks, and weeks in over-built areas, can typically be had as RCI rentals or RCI or II "Extra Vacations" for less than maintenance fees, which is disheartening to the owners of those weeks.
. . . why we like Last Call & Instant Exchange.

(Last Calls are something like Extra Vacations, except much cheaper.)

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​