• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

If I buy Destination Points resale ...

musical2

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I buy Destination Points via resale will my enrolled owner points be included in as Destination Points like if I bought directly from Marriott? I was just at an Owners session and the Marriott sales rep talking told us I'd we bought the minimum 1500 points our enrolled points would then be converted so we would have access to all the inventory.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
If I buy Destination Points via resale will my enrolled owner points be included in as Destination Points like if I bought directly from Marriott? I was just at an Owners session and the Marriott sales rep talking told us I'd we bought the minimum 1500 points our enrolled points would then be converted so we would have access to all the inventory.

Without sounding dismissive of the question, IMHO I'm not sure that from an owner's viewpoint it really matters. By that I mean that from what we see and how points seem to work for us as owners there doesn't appear to be a noticeable distinction.

If you are an enrolled owner and also own resale points (as I do), I am unconvinced that you or I see any less opportunities to utilize our points as someone who is an enrolled owner with developer purchased points.

While there may be an initial distinction between the DC point buckets, as I understand the system (and from what I see in terms of available inventory offerings), they don't appear to remain separated for long before being poured into a larger combined 'DC inventory bucket' (which is what we see as owners when making a reservation).

So, regardless of where you got your DC points (and if you paid all developer related fees if you bought your points resale), I don't think there is a current difference (meaning no benefit to your points when you convert your enrolled week if you buy more points from the developer versus buying resale).

As more 'pure trust' properties are added to the inventory that model could shift and we could begin to see buckets remaining separate longer. However, when and if we will ever reach that point is anyone's guess.

When it comes to a question of where is the best place to buy points for the purpose of seeing 'better' inventory - Resale or Developer. It's a 'tastes great', 'less filling' debate to me. :cool:

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with all the points made by kds4.
If you are seriously interested in buying Destination Points anyway though, ask them to confirm in writing that you would have access to all the Trust inventory.
If they won't, then that answers your question.
If they will, then you have a different decision to make.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points

There are a couple of concepts here....

Supermorphed Points - This was invented by the MVC sales folks, to try to get you to buy Trust points. They claim that by buying a minimum of Trust points, your Legacy points will become Supermorphed and work just like Trust points. Pure Bullsh!t in my humble opinion. If you buy Trust points, developer or resale, either type of Trust point will have access to Trust inventory, but only up to the quantity of Trust points you own. So if you buy 1500 Trust points and the ressie you wanted needed 1600 Trust points to secure it, you could not use 1500 of your Trust points and 100 of your Legacy points.

Inventory Buckets - We have found, that the vast majority (I am talking in the high 90's...very close to 100%) of weeks are rolled from the Trust into the DC Exchange very early in the reservation windows.... and certainly by the 12 month mark, virtually all ressies (potentially 100%) are made from the DC Exchange (which is where Trust inventory, Legacy inventory, II begotten inventory, etc are all mixed together) and where any points (Trust or Legacy or a combination of both) can be used. That said, if you tend to book in the 12 months or closer-in ressie periods, I would hasten a guess you would never see a difference between Trust or Legacy points (other than a potential online ressie system glitch that can be overridden by a VOA).

As kds4 indicated, who knows if things will change in the future....but right now, I would not be purchasing Trust points (developer or resale) because of a sales tactic at a presentation telling you that by buying the Trust points, your Legacy points will be able to get at pure Trust inventory. The threat is just not supported by how things are currently working. And perhaps even more important, Legacy points have the ability to get at likely 99.9% of any ressies out there regardless of the reservation window.

Last edited:

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Supermorphed Points - This was invented by the MVC sales folks, to try to get you to buy Trust points. They claim that by buying a minimum of Trust points, your Legacy points will become Supermorphed and work just like Trust points. Pure Bullsh!t in my humble opinion. If you buy Trust points, developer or resale, either type of Trust point will have access to Trust inventory, but only up to the quantity of Trust points you own. So if you buy 1500 Trust points and the ressie you wanted needed 1600 Trust points to secure it, you could not use 1500 of your Trust points and 100 of your Legacy points.

Have any experienced Tuggers ever directly challenged the "supermorph" assertion by a sales rep and asked them for a precise description of how this could ever take place? It's clear that Marriott could choose to limit certain Trust inventory to only being booked by Trust points, but as many others have said, I don't see how enrolled points could ever legally act just like Trust points in booking Trust-specific inventory that has not yet been transferred to the DC Exchange. I would love to hear a rep or sales manager's explanation for how they contend this could ever happen.

No presentation opportunities for me in the near future, or I would ask them myself, but has any knowledgeable Tugger ever asked for an explanation and if so, what did they say?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
Have any experienced Tuggers ever directly challenged the "supermorph" assertion by a sales rep and asked them for a precise description of how this could ever take place? It's clear that Marriott could choose to limit certain Trust inventory to only being booked by Trust points, but as many others have said, I don't see how enrolled points could ever legally act just like Trust points in booking Trust-specific inventory that has not yet been transferred to the DC Exchange. I would love to hear a rep or sales manager's explanation for how they contend this could ever happen.

No presentation opportunities for me in the near future, or I would ask them myself, but has any knowledgeable Tugger ever asked for an explanation and if so, what did they say?

I know I have seen posts from some who told their sales rep they would purchase on the spot if this concept was put in writing (Puck being one of them) but after saying they could not do that, things pretty much derailed there.

Not sure if anybody has ever asked for a legal explanation of how exactly Supermorphing could be legally allowed to happen.

I have an upcoming stay at Ocean Pointe later this week, if I end up doing a presentation, perhaps I'll prod a question or two in this direction.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I'm not entirely convinced that Marriott isn't or doesn't intend in the future to give a priority for Trust intervals to owners of Exchange Points who purchase Trust Points direct. It would be fairly simple - just notate somewhere in an IT field in owner accounts that these certain owners are eligible for a certain process, and notate somewhere in an IT field in the inventory controls of Trust intervals that if those certain owners request those Trust intervals, they can be made available immediately through the DC Exchange Company. Voila - access to Trust intervals is effectively seamless, although not quite in the way that the sales reps say it will happen because legally Exchange Points cannot be simply exchanged or transformed into Trust Points. But the end result is the same even though the sales rep doesn't know how/why it works.

Whether or not Marriott is actually doing this is the question - and I think the correct answer is only known to those with much higher pay grades than the sales staff. As much as I think I'd love a chance to educate sales reps on this and many other DC-related items, I have no doubt it would be an extremely frustrating exercise leading to comments they'd make just to shut me up, comments that I'd have no way of knowing if they're based in truth or not without taking more time to think about how/why they could be. It's fun to do that on TUG, not so much while on vacation in My Happy Place.

Last edited:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
I'm not entirely convinced that Marriott isn't or doesn't intend in the future to give a priority for Trust intervals to owners of Exchange Points who purchase Trust Points direct. It would be fairly simple - just notate somewhere in an IT field in owner accounts that these certain owners are eligible for a certain process, and notate somewhere in an IT field in the inventory controls of Trust intervals that if those certain owners request those Trust intervals, they can be made available immediately through the DC Exchange Company. Voila - access to Trust intervals is effectively seamless, although not quite in the way that the sales reps say it will happen because legally Exchange Points cannot be simply exchanged or transformed into Trust Points. But the end result is the same even though the sales rep doesn't know how/why it works.

Whether or not Marriott is actually doing this is the question - and I think the correct answer is only known to those with much higher pay grades than the sales staff. As much as I think I'd love a chance to educate sales reps on this and many other DC-related items, I have no doubt it would be an extremely frustrating exercise leading to comments they'd make just to shut me up that I'd have no way of knowing if they're based in truth or not.

I think it boils down to the fact that the easiest and likely most effective way for MVC to manage all the inventory is to do so in the Exchange, and I think that is what's currently happening.