• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ideas for 5000 points?

Sunshine Wanted

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, as I said in an earlier post I did purchase the VIP trial program which gives you a one week stay. I'm wanting to use it over xmas next year (yep - I should have looked more closely at points at xmas time, but did not). Of course, the developer said it shouldn't be a problem - we might have to stay at the hotel property at Waikoloa instead of the time share part, but it could be done.

So, now that I see it takes many more points than 5000 to stay at Christmas in the 2 bdrm (or less for that matter)... does anyone have ideas as to how we can visit 2 islands over xmas next year and utilize the 5000 points?

If I change them to HHonors points, how would that work? Is it a straight conversion point for point?

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
HHonors exchange at the rate of 25 Hhonors for each HGVC point.

I don't know however if the trial package points can be exchanged for HHonors points.

Sunshine Wanted

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm beginning to feel sorry about this VIP purchase. I didn't know enough about the program at the time and probably should have continued to say NO like I had done the entire 2 hours. Think I'll pull out my paperwork and see if it is too late to cancel.

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
One way to stretch HGVC points is to use them to nab an RCI exchange. A one bedroom booked as an RCI exchange is 3400 points for the week. A studio goes for 2400, two bdrm is 4800. The nightly rate is 340 points for a 1 bdrm M-Th, 680 Fri - Sun. So you could do 11 days with your 5000 points, or two weeks in a studio. Whether they can find you something for Christmas could be a trick.

HGVC's call center can initiate an RCI search for $164, refundable if you don't accept what they come up with. RCI exchanges are performed the HGVC call center for you (one stop shopping). It could take them days or weeks of a continuous search before they find something, or they might find something quickly.

Last edited:

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The company line around here is to rescind. You can get platinum season points purchased on the resale market for around $1.50/per point...sometimes a bit less. Gold season runs about $1/point. These are prices to purchase an HGVC week.

I'm curious what the VIP package cost you?

In all likelihood you should probably rescind while you have the chance. Just be sure to follow the instructions to the letter...don't embelish.

Sunshine Wanted

TUG Member
Reaction score
to cancel or not to cancel

I'm beginning to feel sorry about this VIP purchase. I didn't know enough about the program at the time and probably should have continued to say NO like I had done the entire 2 hours. Think I'll pull out my paperwork and see if it is too late to cancel.

Well, I downloaded the 2009 member guide, and it appears that a studio at HHV is 2200; a one bedroom is 4800. I think we might have enough points to make this work...

The trick to this is we have to sit through another presentation, so you have to use it at a HGVC sales property (can't go through RCI or any of the affiliates).

It was $1700 I believe.

jestme

Reaction score
Call and try to book what you want today and see what they say. If the answer is no, then you can still rescind. They tend to be flexible when there is a potential buyer, and as the developer, they still own weeks that they can free up if they really want to.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Call and try to book what you want today and see what they say. If the answer is no, then you can still rescind. They tend to be flexible when there is a potential buyer, and as the developer, they still own weeks that they can free up if they really want to.

I agree with this tactic. I suspect that any of the Hawaiian properties will be tough to get for the time of season you want. As an owner in Vegas I had a tough time this year getting any unit at HHV at the 9 month mark. I've watched off and on and availability hasn't been that much better. It use to be that points were points and, if you owned in the HGVC system you could stay at any HGVC resort in any size unit without to much effort. Those days appear to be gone as far as Hawaii is concerned. Vegas and Orlando aren't a problem as they appear to be overbuilt and always show availability but, Hawaii seems to be becoming a tough trade, even internally.

I suspect this has to do with salesmen overselling the fact that HGVC owners can easily do internal exchanges. Almost every time I heard a salesman talk about or anounce a sale to their manager, they'd say they bought X number of points and they're going to Hawaii next year. This was always at a Vegas location. HGVC has continued to add hundereds more units to Vegas and Orlando while not adding as many to Hawaii. So, if everyone purchased to exchange into Hawaii, those units could be getting a little more scarce to come by. Especially if those that purchased Hawaii to stay in Hawaii are reserving and using their units rather than going to Vegas, Orlando or exchanging through RCI.

If it were me, I'd cancel this purchase. I fear that if you don't, you'll find it hard to get the unit, week and location you want. $1,700 just to go to Vegas or Orlando seems a bit much to me. Espcially when you can buy a week for less than $100 on E-bay and trade into either of those two locations without much effort.

I'd take more time and explore whether or not timeshare will work for you. Then, if you believe it will, I'd buy a resale unit rather than wasting my money on this trial membership.

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not too late to cancel. I have until Monday as long a I get it postmarked on Monday.

RESCIND!!!!!!!!!!!
You can buy those points for much, much, much less. You do not need VIP. You will get EVERYTHING else - don't listen to ONE WORD they say. Just rescind exactly (be very, very careful) the way the contract tells you to cancel. Don't bother talking to the salesperson if you're still there - they will explain why we at TUG are idiots - how this and that and that and this is the reason you shouldn't buy resale. They are LYING.

5000 points should cost about 6K right now on the resale market - and it sounds like you need at least 7000 pts anyway. You can buy that for around 9K (I'm not exactly sure of the figures - but as you can see - WAY WAY WAY WAY less than you purchased for).

I realize now you didn't spend 20K or so, phew. Still rescind. You can rent from so many - go to www.redweek.com or TUG's classifieds - for less. AND you don't have to risk being talked into spending 20K for points.

Welcome to TUG.

Last edited:

jennifer 4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ideas for 5000 points

I too purchased a VIP package. It really is not a bad idea if you are flexible in your dates to travel. My husband and I are both retired so we should be able to find a date that works for us.

However, if you only want to go to Hawaii during a popular period, it is going to be extremelly difficult--with or without the package. I did call and speak to two different people. This VIP package is a special promotion. Therefore, even though it takes more points for a two bedroom unit, it will only cost you 5000 points. Of course, it does depend upon availability.

The program worked for us because we were going back to Hawaii anyway, and we wanted to have the vacation paid for by the time we went back.
Also, if we had to reschedule up to a particular time period, it would not cost us to do so.

We have used Redweek before; yes, you possibly can get the units for less, but basically you are tied to that unit if there is an emergency and you can't go.

If you only want to go during that time period, you seriously might consider rescinding--it will be difficult to schedule.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Well, I downloaded the 2009 member guide, and it appears that a studio at HHV is 2200; a one bedroom is 4800.

Where did you find the 2009 member guide. The last time I looked they only had the 2008 up on the site. Did they replace it? I guess I will have to go look.

They did finally replace it, the 2009 is now online. Thanks....

Sunshine Wanted

TUG Member
Reaction score
Like this idea! I'll call today and see what they say. My guess is it will be no, too early, you have to wait for the 9 mos window (which of course it is too late to rescind at that point).

pianodinosaur

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
We have had an excellent time staying in Hawaii during gold season. A two bedroom unit at most HGVC resorts during gold season goes for 5000 points.

Sunshine Wanted

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did cancel...

Just wanted to post a follow-up. We did call to try and book our 7 day trial vacation. We were not in the system yet, so they were unable to help us at that time.

We went ahead and rescinded yesterday, very carefully following the directions on the contract and sending certified, return receipt. We really thought more about it, and decided with our lack of flexibility (school schedule) and wanting to go at xmas, it was just not smart to risk it. We can put that $$ toward a purchase :)

Thanks again for the advice.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Just wanted to post a follow-up. We did call to try and book our 7 day trial vacation. We were not in the system yet, so they were unable to help us at that time.

We went ahead and rescinded yesterday, very carefully following the directions on the contract and sending certified, return receipt. We really thought more about it, and decided with our lack of flexibility (school schedule) and wanting to go at xmas, it was just not smart to risk it. We can put that $$ toward a purchase :)

Smart move. It never bodes well when they won't let you see where you can go/reserve until after the right the recsind has past.

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score

Thank you for the update. Not everyone does that - it's really appreciated - interesting to hear what someone decides.