• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I was scammed by an exit company -feel horrible

codyrainbow

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was scammed by an exit company. I won't say the name because they won't give me any money back pending a BBB review I have left. Any advice.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
(1) If you paid 'em with a CC, dispute the charge.
(2) File a complaint with the consumer protection office of your state attorney general.
(3) File a complaint with the agency which regulates timeshare (real estate) sales.

Added:
(4) If the U.S. Mail was used, contact the Postal Inspection Service:
Call 1-877-876-2455 or go to www.uspis.gov to report suspected fraud online.

You could sue 'em, but they'll say did what they promised or just disappear.
Chalk it up to one of life's lesson from the school of hard knocks.
... Too bad you didn't come here for advice, first.

Last edited:

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was scammed by an exit company. I won't say the name because they won't give me any money back pending a BBB review I have left. Any advice.

If you paid money up front then you were definitely scammed. I wouldn't hesitate to post their name everywhere to warn others.

There's a 99.9% chance you won't get your money back unless you sent your money via mail (USPS). If you did then it is considered "Mail Fraud" and should be brought to the attention of the U.S. Postal Inspection Service. Mail Fraud is a Federal Crime.

Hope you can get your money back.

Old Hickory

TUG Member
Reaction score

Yes. Post the name of the exit company. Tell us how you found them (or they found you) and why you started the relationship. Tell how they scammed you. We want all the dirty details.
Welcome to the forum. There are a lot of great people here who all share a common interest and who want to (and can) help you and each other.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Absolutely name names! The only chance you'll get to realize anything from them is to smear their name all over every travel site you can. Blast them on BBB, TripAdvisor, Here and everywhere. The WORST that can happen is you're out the money you've already spent, and maybe, just maybe, they'll refund you on the condition that you send retractions where you badmouthed them. Oh yes, and the state Attorney General where they are located, and/or where you live if different might be interested in your story too.

And YES, We've been here all along, freely giving the advice on how NOT to be scammed- oh, and telling people just like you how to buy timeshares for pennies on the dollar, or even for free!

Stick around, @codyrainbow and we'll tell you more.

Jim

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any advice.

Others have already given you advice how to try to get your money back. I'm assuming you're also looking to get rid of your TS. If that is the case:

1) List it for giveaway here in TUG's Bargain Deals section.
2) Try listing it for giveaway in other websites such as E-Bay, Craigslist, or My Resort Network.
3) Ask the resort's Homeowners' Association if it will take it back.
4) If all else fails, stop making payments and let it go into foreclosure.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
And YES, We've been here all along, freely giving the advice on how NOT to be scammed- oh, and telling people just like you how to buy timeshares for pennies on the dollar, or even for free.

And how people can get rid of their TSs without hiring any third party whether it's a legitimate company or not.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any advice.
You've gotten good practical timeshare advice. Mine is simpler, but harder to do: figure out a way to forgive yourself. Yes, you made a mistake, but hopefully it can be one you learn from. If you do, it's a lesson that might end up being worth its cost.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I bet they have a money back guarantee too?

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
IF you were indeed scammed (we haven’t heard the whole story), waiting for a review from the BBB is BS! The Better Business Bureau has no teeth, and scammers know that. They’re just dragging you along, hoping you get tired of fighting and go away.

How did you find this timeshare exit company? If it was through the mail or online, file a police report, send a copy to the state attorney general, and another copy to the FBI. Make sure the scammer knows you are serious. Post reviews everywhere.

If you’ve been scammed, do NOT be lead on with promises. They are very good at this con. Even the small operations make millions a year off vulnerable owners.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Not all BBB are alike but @STLBBB is really looking to protect consumers from fraudsters. While the BBB can’t make a company refund your money they can make it difficult for the company to continue their business practices. If the business intends to be around a while they may just refund your money.

Here is a recent post with some of the work the STLBBB is doing (at the bottoms of the thread).

Reaction score
Look at Wesley Financial. The guy on the radio who talks about the company ran another company called VO Group, who scammed people and got smashed by the state. They were closed. So, what does the scammer do? Creates a new company. Not too long ago, the BBB took them off due to not refunding anyone even though they say they have a money-back guarantee. That is really all the BBB can do, point to frauds. But, they can't do anything else.

TS

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We were able to get our money back from an exit company. That was years ago, and it's when I found TUG. I think we were able to do this by putting the charge in dispute. We then showed how they did not follow through on their promises. I don't remember the name of the company or all of the steps we went through. Hang in there and keep trying.

codyrainbow

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much. Some of the back story is that my husband and I have been very isolated and we are just not in a good place emotionally. My husband picked up the phone (why, I have no idea) and got a call regarding changes in law (due to COVID) to offset our timeshare maintenance fees. We attended a seminar at a local Hilton (ironically we own HGVC in Manhattan- mortgage paid off). The whole seminar involved several points regarding how TS cannot be given away. Your heirs will inherit the Maintenance fees forever. You cannot give them to homeless people. They told us so many lies. They said they would sell our time share for us and get us out of the deal. Money back guarantee. You name it. We fell for it -hook, line, and sink. Finally we paid them 8,360 via credit card. I am so embarrassed. I work night shift at the local hospital so I was running late and left for my shift. The next week I got paperwork. This was when things got fishy. I got this POA document that needed to be witness by 2 people. POA documents scare me and that's when I realized I need a lawyer to look at this. Great, more $$$$. I spoke to a friend with some knowledge and she thought the whole thing was a scam.
I called Consumer Law Protection and the guy (VP) said he will try to see about my ability to get my money. I called the sales person and he said, actually yelled at me, "You cannot sell your TS on Ebay for 1$." A totally different human being after getting his money.
Two days later after the weekend, I received a VM about how they would not be able to return my money b/c the lawyers have already been retained and they were working on our case. I freaked out and disputed our case with BBB, credit care, AG of Va.
Later the VP of Consumer Law Protection called me and I asked him for a partial refund and we settled on a 5,700 refund. I took the deal. I also mentioned retracting the BBB review, since I was so grateful for the partial refund. Then, he held me hostage until I got something in writing from BBB which I did several days later. Then I got my refund. Except the Virginia AOG complaint fell on him 3 days later. I just ignored his call. I got most of my money. In the mean time, I have joined TUG and have a community to rely on. I am savvier now and I just want this all behind me. I do feel stupid though.

codyrainbow

TUG Member
Reaction score
You've gotten good practical timeshare advice. Mine is simpler, but harder to do: figure out a way to forgive yourself. Yes, you made a mistake, but hopefully it can be one you learn from. If you do, it's a lesson that might end up being worth its cost.
thank you so much.

codyrainbow

TUG Member
Reaction score
Absolutely name names! The only chance you'll get to realize anything from them is to smear their name all over every travel site you can. Blast them on BBB, TripAdvisor, Here and everywhere. The WORST that can happen is you're out the money you've already spent, and maybe, just maybe, they'll refund you on the condition that you send retractions where you badmouthed them. Oh yes, and the state Attorney General where they are located, and/or where you live if different might be interested in your story too.

And YES, We've been here all along, freely giving the advice on how NOT to be scammed- oh, and telling people just like you how to buy timeshares for pennies on the dollar, or even for free!

Stick around, @codyrainbow and we'll tell you more.

Jim
I was actually thinking of going to AARP and get someone to write an article on them and others for that matter. Also the name is Consumer Law Protection.
thank you

Brett

Reaction score
Thank you so much. Some of the back story is that my husband and I have been very isolated and we are just not in a good place emotionally. My husband picked up the phone (why, I have no idea) and got a call regarding changes in law (due to COVID) to offset our timeshare maintenance fees. We attended a seminar at a local Hilton (ironically we own HGVC in Manhattan- mortgage paid off). The whole seminar involved several points regarding how TS cannot be given away. Your heirs will inherit the Maintenance fees forever. You cannot give them to homeless people. They told us so many lies. They said they would sell our time share for us and get us out of the deal. Money back guarantee. You name it. We fell for it -hook, line, and sink. Finally we paid them 8,360 via credit card. I am so embarrassed. I work night shift at the local hospital so I was running late and left for my shift. The next week I got paperwork. This was when things got fishy. I got this POA document that needed to be witness by 2 people. POA documents scare me and that's when I realized I need a lawyer to look at this. Great, more $$$$. I spoke to a friend with some knowledge and she thought the whole thing was a scam.
I called Consumer Law Protection and the guy (VP) said he will try to see about my ability to get my money. I called the sales person and he said, actually yelled at me, "You cannot sell your TS on Ebay for 1$." A totally different human being after getting his money.
Two days later after the weekend, I received a VM about how they would not be able to return my money b/c the lawyers have already been retained and they were working on our case. I freaked out and disputed our case with BBB, credit care, AG of Va.
Later the VP of Consumer Law Protection called me and I asked him for a partial refund and we settled on a 5,700 refund. I took the deal. I also mentioned retracting the BBB review, since I was so grateful for the partial refund. Then, he held me hostage until I got something in writing from BBB which I did several days later. Then I got my refund. Except the Virginia AOG complaint fell on him 3 days later. I just ignored his call. I got most of my money. In the mean time, I have joined TUG and have a community to rely on. I am savvier now and I just want this all behind me. I do feel stupid though.

if you paid by credit card and followed all of the credit card issuer dispute procedures you should get back the full amount. ($8,360 )

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
if you paid by credit card and followed all of the credit card issuer dispute procedures you should get back the full amount. ($8,360 )
THe problem is that most credit card refund dispute requirements require you to dispute within 60 days of the statement the charge appeared on. Usually by the the time someone knows they have been scammed, the issue has been going on for a year. Fraudulent or unauthorized charges have an unlimited timeline, but would this qualify as a fraudulent charge? Is it considered fraud? There is usually a contract involved and the charge was authorized. They would also often require a police report in situations like this. That may or may not be easy to do in this situation.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
These companies thrive on spewing lies. On one of their BBB complaints, almost everything told to the timeshare owner was a flat out lie. The owner then paid over $22,000 based on those lies!

What is really funny is that Consumer Law Protection claimed that the BBB is in collusion with the timeshare companies, yet another lie.

Consumer Law Protection’s response to a complaint:
“ We will now offer to terminate *** ******* timeshare at no cost to help reverse the damage done to this client by the BBB in colluding with the timeshare developers to keep him in a contract with perpetual fees that increase yearly and go on forever.”

@STLBBB, this scammer is in MO, are they in your area?

Edited:

Here is another thread about these lying scammers.

Last edited:

Brett

Reaction score
THe problem is that most credit card refund dispute requirements require you to dispute within 60 days of the statement the charge appeared on. Usually by the the time someone knows they have been scammed, the issue has been going on for a year. Fraudulent or unauthorized charges have an unlimited timeline, but would this qualify as a fraudulent charge? Is it considered fraud? There is usually a contract involved and the charge was authorized. They would also often require a police report in situations like this. That may or may not be easy to do in this situation.

I didn't realize the dispute was more than 60 days. you're right, recourse with the CC issuer may not be possible :(

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I didn't realize the dispute was more than 60 days. you're right, recourse with the CC issuer may not be possible :(
It may be within 60 days, the OP didn't specify. However, given how most of these work, they like to drag you along until they know they are in the clear for a CC dispute. Most people don't start asking for a refund until the one year date where they were promised a refund if they didn't get you out of your timeshare. Then after a few months they realize the promised refund is a sham and they are way more than a year past the date that they paid the outfit to get them out.

Tallyrox

Reaction score
If you use AARP card by chase they won’t dispute since you signed a contract with a no cancellation clause.

Tallyrox

Reaction score
These companies thrive on spewing lies. On one of their BBB complaints, almost everything told to the timeshare owner was a flat out lie. The owner then paid over $22,000 based on those lies!

What is really funny is that Consumer Law Protection claimed that the BBB is in collusion with the timeshare companies, yet another lie.

Consumer Law Protection’s response to a complaint:
“ We will now offer to terminate *** ******* timeshare at no cost to help reverse the damage done to this client by the BBB in colluding with the timeshare developers to keep him in a contract with perpetual fees that increase yearly and go on forever.”

@STLBBB, this scammer is in MO, are they in your area?

Edited:

Here is another thread about these lying scammers.

what steps do we need to do to get our money back?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
what steps do we need to do to get our money back?

File a complaint with the Attorney General’s office and the BBB. Post feedback on their Facebook page (if they have one). Post your review to yelp and other websites. In these situations the greasy wheel gets the oil.