• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I really am tired of disrespectful teenagers...

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim) NEW: 2 Lawa'i Beach Resort!
I have taught high school for 30 years. (I was 4 when I started!) :D

Sometimes I will have a student that I think is a real mess. Then I meet their parent, who is far more of a mess, and I'm impressed that the student even survived childhood. It all goes back to the parent...

BTW, some of the worst behaved kids I ever have had a students, were beaten regularly. It didn't seem to help them be better people.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
haha...yes to clear that up...I wasnt talking about "beating" as in fists and such...noone should "beat" their kids regardless of reason. just a tanning of the behind (and ego).

paddles, belts, hands, etc. man I dreaded report-card day!

1950bing

Reaction score
Start with Hollywood. The trash the have in the movies are so bad.They
even have cursing in toons! Gotta make it "R"

[Socially contentious/religious comments removed - DeniseM Moderator]

Not much family time around the table. Got to go, fast food.
It's 3 AM. and I don't know where my kid is. I'm too sleepy.
for just a few.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kevin

TUG Member
Reaction score

Sometimes I will have a student that I think is a real mess. Then I meet their parent, who is far more of a mess, and I'm impressed that the student even survived childhood. It all goes back to the parent...

BTW, some of the worst behaved kids I ever have had a students, were beaten regularly. It didn't seem to help them be better people.

I think some are equating the term beating with abuse. There is a difference between tough love disipline (which may include corporal punishment) and abuse in my opinion. I think we all agree... abuse of a child is never acceptable.

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
come on guys....we are beginning to show our age and sound like our parents....ohhhhh Elvis is evil, damn that rock & roll, those damn hippies, etc. kids today are no worst than when we were young. its just that now we are the complaining adults. lol.:rofl:

It sure does sound to me like these folks are just getting old and crotchety. The intolerance exhibited in this thread just calls out, "Hey, you kids, get off my lawn!!"

I think that teenagers are teenagers and always have been so. Rebelling against authority is just a part of adolescence. I see nothing worse in flipping you off than in a teenager in the 60s saying, "Hey, man, get off my case. Never trust anyone over 30."

And, if you have an 11-year-old in your car and don't like what you're hearing, you need either to roll up the windows and turn on the radio, or go somewhere else. It's your responsibility to provide a wholesome environment for a child, not theirs. There is no reasonable basis to expect others in a free society to conform to your rules of what should and should not be played/said/watched.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim) NEW: 2 Lawa'i Beach Resort!
haha...yes to clear that up...I wasnt talking about "beating" as in fists and such...noone should "beat" their kids regardless of reason. just a tanning of the behind (and ego).

paddles, belts, hands, etc. man I dreaded report-card day!

Brian - if you came to my class and told me you had been hit with a paddle or belt, as a mandated reporter, I would have an obligation to file a CPS report....I'm not making a judgement here, (my brothers got the belt, too) but times and laws have changed in that regard.

Last edited:

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
And, if you have an 11-year-old in your car and don't like what you're hearing, you need either to roll up the windows and turn on the radio, or go somewhere else. It's your responsibility to provide a wholesome environment for a child, not theirs. There is no reasonable basis to expect others in a free society to conform to your rules of what should and should not be played/said/watched.

In a free society we have the right to listen to our own music, talk, etc in our own car or house. We do not have the right to play it or say it loudly enough to interfere with shared air space.

gpurtz

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's about civility and respect, both of which seem to be in shorter supply than they were 25 years ago. It also seems that too many kids are learning manners from TV...what they see is what others get. Be careful trying to correct these kids...some have short fuses and weapons. With that said, I agree that the majority of young people continue to be well-mannered and respectful.

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
In a free society we have the right to listen to our own music, talk, etc in our own car or house. We do not have the right to play it or say it loudly enough to interfere with shared air space.

Actually, yes, we do.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually, yes, we do.

We do? Not where there are noise ordinances - I don't know about elsewhere legally.

But regardless of whether there is a law about noise, gpurtz and the OP are correct in their focus on respect - or the lack thereof.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's Sunday night at 8:45 here where I live. Go look what's on TV for anyone in the house to see. You will find everything from very nice family programming, to violence, sex, history, science, etc. Now go look on line at what you can find.

We live in a very different society than when I grew up, and I'm not even that old. None of what I discussed above was available on TV or online 35 years ago, not even the good stuff.

I find it amazing that people are disturbed by what they see on a day to day basis in our society. Everything we want (TV, internet, etc.) promotes this behavior.

Pandora's box is wide open. No way to close it now.

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
I grew up in the days when the school principal had a strap, and my mom had a wooden spoon...and of course ivory soap to wash my mouth out. I don't think those things are around any more.

Brian

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Thinking about 35 years years back, I don't think that we thought of our group as disrespectful. We were just being teen run-a-muckers.

When my kids were teens, they were the like us at that age. Times changed, but the song remained the same.

Thinking about last month in Mexico, our new group was as loud as we ever were, doing what ever pleased us. Some folks did move to the other pools or tables but others came to join our fun. I don't feel we disrespected anyone but some one might of thought we did.

If some one feels disrespected then thats how they feel. Every one has their own level of comfort.

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We do? Not where there are noise ordinances - I don't know about elsewhere legally.

Most noise ordinances cover sounds louder than a radio blaring from a car. or people calling you names or flipping you off.

Kona Lovers

TUG Member
Reaction score

DW and I are both school teachers, and what DeniseM says is so true. We wonder about some of our students' behaviors, but once some of the parents are met, it's no longer a mystery. (As far as showing age, I'm now teaching some of my former student's children! Talk about a wake-up!)

Regarding loud blasting radio trash, where we live it seems it's seldom the teenagers driving around blasting it out, it's usually adult drivers showing off what they've invested in their automobile's sound system.

Marty

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This reminds me of something funny that happened at school. A few years ago we had to tighten up the dress code because bare midriffs and revealing, low-cut tops, were becoming a big problem. We had a parent meeting and some parents complained bitterly that we were violating their little darling's freedom of expression. One mom was especially outspoken, and when she got up to speak, she was wearing at least 5 dress code violations herself! It was hard not to laugh at what she thought was appropriate attire for a parent's meeting!

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
better check on this

Actually, yes, we do.

Then how come I frequently hear of people being arrested and even placed in jail for using obscenities.

Janis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Seems to me most of those arrests occur when the obscenities are directed at a police officer already responding to a less than desirable condition..

NTHC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Panama City Beach, Las Vegas, Massanutten
Resorts Owned
Grandview Las Vegas, Regal Vista, Wyndham, Bluegreen, Diamond
Janis,
I want to address the "public school" comment made so that you understand my intentions. I am not saying that things like this do not happen in private schools. I know that they do. I also know that had someone on my daughters team made a similar comment and a parent had approached our coach, it would have been handled swiftly, right there with the child being addressed and an apology made. It would have been addressed with that childs parents and also the entire team about what a priviledge it is to be asked to represent your school. Whether it be as an athlete or academically.

Our kids are in private schools not because we feel we are better than anyone else, but because we feel like the discipline is more consistent between school and home. Our kids do not have big fancy gyms or auditoriums, they don't have access to the array of classes that other schools do, but they are being taught as part of their eduation that they cannot live in a self absorbed world, but that their actions affect others in either a positive or negative way. And that there are consequences for their actions.

I know there are good kids in public schools as well, but I also know that there are huge breakdowns in the communication from school to home and what parents think is and isn't acceptable.

Regardless, I see a serious problem with the way that teenagers in general behave today. And I think that if we all continue to look the other way we are doing them a disservice. After all, the are the "us" of tomorrow.

JMHO,
Cindy

EAM

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I feel as if parents are caught in a no-win situation. If you are strict, then society says you are driving your child to be dishonest and your child will misbehave behind your back. If you are lenient, then you are letting your child get away with anything.:wall:

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
The majority of teens that I meet are very respectful. They may act up once in a while a little more than some one older. You shouldnt judge an entire age group by the actions of a few people that pissed you off.

mamiecarter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Talk to your 11 year old now

Explain to children as soon as they start hearing it why people use foul language and the meaning of what they just heard. Embarrassing yes but better to explain it and explain why they shouldn't talk like that or act like that in public.

Jimster

TUG Member
Reaction score
getting thrown in jail

The people who get thrown in jail for this are minorities- almost always. It is really disorderly conduct and is a hodge podge of offenses but usually enforced against minorities or anyone else the police want to hassle at the time (juveniles are a good target too). A sad but true situation. And don't tell me I am casting aspersions on the men in blue- I was a prosecutor and a defense attorney too. I also appreciate the work they do!

julie

TUG Member
Reaction score
me too

I've been teaching 24 years now. This is the worst class I've had when it comes to foul language, obnoxious behavior and rudeness. Sure, next year's class might be better. But, in the long run children's behavior has become much worse. I used to love teaching, but not so much anymore. Who wants to go to a job everyday where it's a battle to have simple civility? I also believe it's a sign of our society. When I first started teaching, the principal or I could paddle a child (not hard, mind you and it probably hurt me more than the student). I also called parents and I remember one would come to the school within the hour, take her child into the hall and paddle him. Today students are not outside playing, using their imagination, playing card games, etc. They're on the computer, watching TV or listening to music and what are they hearing and listening? Well, you all know as well as I do it's not "Brady Bunch", "Hogan's Heroes'", "Andy Griffith" - the shows I grew up with. I really, really wonder what it will be like when my own children are adults.
J:(