• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I Love my Lock-Off

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got a 2-Bedroom at Grand Chateau with the small lock-off side of my Shadow Ridge.

So far my strategy of using the big side one year, trading the small side and using the next year and getting points that year too has been great.

My daughter Wedding in Nov. and even the Airfare is free with the points I used from travel package.

Being bored I looked back on II, 7 trades for the small side (including one that was from a week 53 bonus week) into Aruba, Newport Coast, Vegas and Orlando (actually 8 trades, since I traded 2 weeks to get 2-2Bedroom for us and a friend)

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Just curious, to better judge the power of your week, what are the details of your deposit? ie. what week was deposited and when;

and what week at Chateau and when was it confirmed?

bongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great Plan!

Hi Rthib,
What a terrific plan...congratulations! I'm thinking about buying with Marriott and have considered a 2-bedroom lockoff for almost the same reason except an EOY versus EY purchase. Thanks for your post...more food for thought!

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Just got a 2-Bedroom at Grand Chateau with the small lock-off side of my Shadow Ridge.
So far my strategy of using the big side one year, trading the small side and using the next year and getting points that year too has been great.

My daughter Wedding in Nov. and even the Airfare is free with the points I used from travel package.

Being bored I looked back on II, 7 trades for the small side (including one that was from a week 53 bonus week) into Aruba, Newport Coast, Vegas and Orlando (actually 8 trades, since I traded 2 weeks to get 2-2Bedroom for us and a friend)
Was this during flex-change? (the next 60 days) or a 'regular' exchange?

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
What I used

The week I used at Shadow Ridge was my week 51 from 2007 (Dec 23-30) as it was the one expiring soonest (2009) but I was pulling the 2 Bdrm at Vegas with my other week (Dec 20, 2008) and even some March weeks in 2009 (put in fake res # to see).

Week I got was Nov 9 - 16th.
but I see 2 Bdrm for other Nov 14/15/16-23, 29/30-7.
The week I need I believe is within the 60 days window, but I am seeing 2Brdm in Dec, Jan.
Also Checked March.

See lots of 1 Bdrms also.

Let me know if you want to check others dates.

Most lock-off week tends to be the latest Dec. deposit I can reserve, giving me the biggest window to use on II.

Last edited:

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Week I got was Nov 9 - 16th.
but I see 2 Bdrm for other Nov 14/15/16-23, 29/30-7.
The week I need I believe is within the 60 days window, but I am seeing 2Brdm in Dec, Jan.
Also Checked March

See lots of 1 Bdrms also.

Let me know if you want to check others dates.

Most lock-off week tends to be the latest Dec. deposit I can reserve, giving me the biggest window to use on II.
That is very good - considering that you are going beyond the 60 days - even though it is lower season (early Dec, Jan/Feb) it is still a great trade and a good use of your lock-off.
Congrats!

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
So now I'm curious - What is "High Season" for Vegas

Figure I'll play the - What can I get game.

What would be a "high season" in Vegas?

Reaction score
Lock off in Ouahu - Here I come!

I just scored a lockoff unit at KoOlina in Mid August 2009 (8/16-23). I am hoping to grab a week before or after on another island, Maui or Kaui. SInce I have never been to HI, I will take any thing I can get. Do you think I will get an exchange quicker if I go for smaller unit?

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Figure I'll play the - What can I get game.

What would be a "high season" in Vegas?

Weeks 9 through 14, week 51 and the highest on the demand index would be week 52 (new years). Weeks 15 through 18 are reaasonably high on the demand index for Vegas.

The most important thing about exchanging is getting what you want when you want to go. To me, it doesn't matter whether it's high season, shoulder season or low season so long as that's when I want to be there. Obviously you're getting the trades you want when you want them and that makes it a great deal for you.

We like to travel in "shoulder" season most of the time. The weather is usually still pleasant and we avoid many of the big crowds. We've received many good exchanges out of our Silver Season studio LO at Ocean Pointe. At least they've been good for us. I don't know if someone who must travel during peak season and has spefic requests for high demand locations would agree but we've had a great time with it.

Last edited:

Enrico

TUG Member
Reaction score
....The most important thing about exchanging is getting what you want when you want to go. To me, it doesn't matter whether it's high season, shoulder season or low season so long as that's when I want to be there. Obviously you're getting the trades you want when you want them and that makes it a great deal for you.

We like to travel in "shoulder" season most of the time. The weather is usually still pleasant and we avoid many of the big crowds. We've received many good exchanges out of our Silver Season studio LO at Ocean Pointe. At least they've been good for us. I don't know if someone who must travel during peak season and has spefic requests for high demand locations would agree but we've had a great time with it.

Could not agree more about your "shoulder season" strategy doug26364. I've booked some really great trades with our MGV lockoff (Platinum) by searching dates ranges just prior to or just after high season time periods. My requirement has always been to trade up into 2-bedroom units (snagged a 3-bedroom Marbella previously) with the exception of only being able to get 1-bedroom units at KBC. Lockoffs trade great if you are patient and flexible.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Could not agree more about your "shoulder season" strategy doug26364. I've booked some really great trades with our MGV lockoff (Platinum) by searching dates ranges just prior to or just after high season time periods. My requirement has always been to trade up into 2-bedroom units (snagged a 3-bedroom Marbella previously) with the exception of only being able to get 1-bedroom units at KBC. Lockoffs trade great if you are patient and flexible.

Sometimes you don't even have to be patient. I'll plug in a search all online with date ranges for the next 12 months, just to see what pops up. You can find some really great trades that way and sometimes even find places you might not have thought you could pull or have thought about going.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
This is exactly why I am trying to find a cheap silver week somewhere just for trading. With flexability in travel dates and ability to travel in the off season, we should be able to pick up some good exchanges in flexchange.

Enrico

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is exactly why I am trying to find a cheap silver week somewhere just for trading. With flexability in travel dates and ability to travel in the off season, we should be able to pick up some good exchanges in flexchange.

You WILL pick up some good trades using flexchange. I test flexchange for fun just to see what comes up with my lockoff, and the possible trades are great.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Look at this BeachPlace week that just sold on eBay. It is much better than a "cheap silver" week. It would have good trading power and also offer the flexibilty you are wanting. Resorts like BeachPlace MF's may be a bit more than you want to pay.

Don't forget, it has been reported (but who knows for sure) that Marriott is not exercising ROFR at this time.

Terry

Last edited:

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Look at this BeachPlace week that just sold on eBay. It is much better than a "cheap silver" week. It would have good trading power and also offer the flexibilty you are wanting. Resorts like BeachPlace MF's may be a bit more than you want to pay.

Don't forget, it has been reported (but who knows for sure) that Marriott is not exercising ROFR at this time.

Terry

As you noted the MF at MBP are rather high and make the annual cost per week not so cheap. With MF over $1K, add the exchange fee and lockoff fee and the week will be about $600, going with a low MF resort each week will run about $450.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
No, but you do. :)

PS - I didn't notice until now that it was also biennial. :wall:

I wasn't sure if that was the one you were referring to. I saw that listing too.

dougef

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Marriott's Grande Vista
I just snagged a GC 2 BR for an OP studio - see my post "Another great trade". Gotta love it.