• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I like Sunterra Resorts...

madmitch

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm a non Sunterra owner at SLBI which I consider my home/main resort. No major complaints although the change in RCIMs reservation system (from Mexico City to Ft Lauderdale) booked me elsewhere at Christmas... the former Owner Services Manager took care of that for me upgrading to a 2 bedroom for all 4 nights at SLBI not Laguna Hills.
It has been explained to me Sunterra Points Sales are non-transferrable if you buy at the resort. Ownership rights do transfer but the seller will loose thousands by forefiting their full Club Sunterra perks. Many Sunterra services remain but not the points.
I found by buying resale at one of the other (former Epic) resorts on the list of 19 will probably work better, especially if one can indeed buy into the full program for $2995 additional should one want.
For me, adding to my SLBI 1 bedroom Imperial (former Glen Ivy) with Sunterra is ideal, and I'm giving that a try via 6500 points at a former Epic Resort.
And yes, the resort does have a split personality with many former Glen Ivy ownerships, many Sunterra ownerships some without SunOptions, managed by RCIM with Sunterra in active sales (not sold out yet buy soon they keep promising every visit...)
Management just completed resurfacing the pool deck, a new brick BBQ pit, plus the "C" wing has new furnishings.
Non-Sunterra resales are posted in the lobby. You can split the week 4-3, 5-2, 3-2-2 and bonus time is reasonable.

Cheers
Mitch

3144 said:
I recently started looking into time share ownership and stumbled across Tug. I joined, and have learned quite a bit. We attended a sales presentation at San Luis Bay Inn and was offered a 1 bedroom unit with 4500 points. I have been unable to determine whether or not points have always been part of a sale and are transferable when you buy somewhere other than directly from Sunterra, or if this is some thing new they are doing. I followed one of your links to the Sunterra site and still couldn't tell. Nothing I see advertised for sale at San Luis Bay Inn mentions points. In the sales presentation, I got the impression you could purchase the unit and various units of points. Can you enlighten me on this?

Last edited:

prasadv1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Kitty,
I have just bought two two bed room high weeks at las Amigo beach club .
Please let me know how much sunterra europe will charge me to convert it to points
membership. Is it better to own weeks or is it better to convert to points?
Thank you.
Prasad.

ronandjoan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Telemark, Townhouses at St Augustine Beach and Tennis Club, Stoneridge Resort (ID)
I got turned off by Sunterra because of the mobile homes and trailers surrounding the Plantation at Fall Creek and the swimming pools on site that said, Closed for vandalism. The units themselves were nicely, if not lavishly decorated, but the views of the trailer park were abysmal.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can't transfer Sunterra option points

Thanks to everyone, I've learned quite a bit in just a few days. I talked to a resale broker and had it confirmed that if you buy a resale, the points option does not transfer. I have seen reference to the $2995 fee to join Club Sunterra, but I can't figure out how many points you get for that money. I assume it equals the number of points required to use your own unit for however many weeks you purchased. Now the question is....Can you sell the membership when and if you sell your interest in the Sunterra property?
I'm still considering buying a 1 bedroom week at San Luis Bay Inn then buying into club Suntera. I could still save quite a bit over retail. Especially if I can sell the club membership.
How many of you out there finally just bought points in World Mark, rather than put up with all the Sunterra games? Will I find surprises with a World Mark
purchase?

Last edited:

svwoude

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can NOT sell your Club Sunterra membership. You can sell the deed for the location that you own at, but not the points, or the membership. The next person would have to again pay the $2995, or whatever the going rate may be at that time.

You are also correct, that for the $2995 you get the amount of points that your week is worth. Good Luck trying to figure it all out, as Sunterra doesn't make it very easy.

That being said I am very happy with Club Sunterra. It works very well for me! :)

Steve

Sue S

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another happy European member

I've been to:

Pine Lake
Wychnor Park
Woodford Bridge
Sahara Sunset
La Quinta
Benal Beach
Alpenclub Schliersee
Alpine Club Schladming
Sunset Bay (my son)
Sunset Harbour (my daughter)

II exchages:

Marriott Marbella
Royal Savoy, Madeira
Alpenland Sporthotel Maria Alm
Cold Spring Resort (NH)

... and maybe a few more that I've forgotten. :)

Sunterra, in my view, is an excellent system with a good range of resorts.

Mavo of Timesharetalk fame is one member who posts dozens of negative comments about Sunterra. He has some valid points but labours them over and over again perhaps giving the impression that they're actually being debated by a number of members. Not the case as far as I know.

The other sites that Carolinian mentions are old news - problems caused by mis-selling by franchises which seems to have been stopped by Sunterra.

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife and I wanted to purchase a timeshare at either Powhattan Plantation or Greensprings through resale and then join the club. We were told by Sunterra that we would have to buy a minimum addition 2000 points for about $7,000 and the unit we bought (found an August 4 bedroom lockout for $1,500) would be converted to points as well. So our total cost would be $9500 plus closing costs.

We were told that the $2995 club membership was only for people who were original owners at the timeshares that hadn't joined the club.

We looked around more and found that Fairfield allowed you to use the points in their system regardless if you bought resale or through the developer. We ended up buying a week a Sea Gardens in Florida worth 161,000 points (2 bedroom red season) for only $3000, must less than Sunterra would cost us.

In addition, we have broken up our points into blue studio weeks and exchanged them for 2-bedroom weeks during red season through RCI. We have used the points for 2005 to book a week in May at "Fairways at Palm Aire" and 2 weeks in August at "Summit at Massanutten", and I still have a red studio deposit left in RCI, I don't know if you could do with Sunterra points.

So, I can't see going thorugh all the trouble with Sunterra when you can get a similar system with Fairfield without all the aggrevation.

And it is not like Sunterra has timeshares that are any better or nicer than Fairfield (Unlike a Hilton or Marriot timeshare that is a step up).

Joe

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Why do they make it SO hard?

joestein said:
So, I can't see going thorugh all the trouble with Sunterra when you can get a similar system with Fairfield without all the aggrevation.

And it is not like Sunterra has timeshares that are any better or nicer than Fairfield (Unlike a Hilton or Marriot timeshare that is a step up).

Joe

Joe - It makes you wonder what they think they are gaining doesn't it. I also like Sunterra resorts and have actually been happy with the Club Sunterra points (options) system. But I cannot get a straight answer regarding adding options from other resales, what I can/can't transfer if I sold and get told about yet another "new" club everytime I talk to a sales rep. It is just too much. I'll keep my existing deeded week and Club Sunterra membership as long as it works - if it changes in the wrong direction I'll just revert back to my deeded week for use in RCI, II or SFX and forget Club Sunterra. It isn't worth any hassle.

As for Hilton and Marriott being a step above Sunterra - absolutely. But at least 50% of the FF resorts are as good as Marriott/Hilton now and each new one seems better than the last. The older ones don't match up but do offer locations Marriott/Hilton usually don't. FF may be the best value in resale timeshares period. If they ever wake up and stop depressing resale values with their crazy new sales tactics it will be the best overall.

nightnurse613

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
If they sold you a one bedroom with 4500 points, I'm pretty sure you are in one of their points programs. Does your "trust record" (deed) say 4500 points or 1 bedroom? You'd be looking for words like "Sun Options" or "Club Sunterra". I have resisted their membership although they recently gave me a very hard sell (blacklisted me forever). I am sure someone can give you a more definitive answer. :confused:

Spence

Banned
Reaction score
B.s.

joestein said:
We were told that the $2995 club membership was only for people who were original owners at the timeshares that hadn't joined the club. Joe
I've been told by both Sunterra Corporate and by Jules Rickless VP Sales for the East at Powhatan/Greensprings that they will do it for flat fee of $2995.

madmitch

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have just purchased 6500 points of the "Land Trust" through resale. Former Epic Las Vegas.
This offers priority at the 21 resorts, with lesser priority at the remaining resorts.
My goal is to add use at San Luis Bay Inn, where I own via RCIM non-Sunterra.
I'll give this a shot for a bit then consider the $2995 upgrade, which I've been told is available to me.
Of course I like several of the other resorts available within the 21.
I'll report back any problems or info that I feel should be known by others.
For starters, I had everything complete and files (payment, closing, notorized papers) and was told to contact Sunterra for my membership number, only to be run through a wringer until I insited they had all the info they needed, nothing more was necessary, then after 5 min on hold I was welcomed to Club Sunterra and given a temporary number, with a promise my complete membership would be active within 30-days.
That's the end of the month so when it happens, you'll know!

Spence

Banned
Reaction score
madmitch said:
I have just purchased 6500 points of the "Land Trust" through resale. Former Epic Las Vegas. This offers priority at the 21 resorts, with lesser priority at the remaining resorts. My goal is to add use at San Luis Bay Inn, where I own via RCIM non-Sunterra. I'll give this a shot for a bit then consider the $2995 upgrade, which I've been told is available to me.
Of course I like several of the other resorts available within the 21. I'll report back any problems or info that I feel should be known by others. For starters, I had everything complete and files (payment, closing, notorized papers) and was told to contact Sunterra for my membership number, only to be run through a wringer until I insited they had all the info they needed, nothing more was necessary, then after 5 min on hold I was welcomed to Club Sunterra and given a temporary number, with a promise my complete membership would be active within 30-days. That's the end of the month so when it happens, you'll know!
This sounds a little odd, a little contrary to what we've seen in the past. You say that you get lesser priority at the remaining resorts sounds like they gave you full Club Sunterra where you get the other resorts at 10months out. Usually resale TRUST buyers would only get to use the 19-21 Trust resorts.

It'll be interesting to hear what they say about the SLB RCIM ownership.

Let us know how everything comes out.

Kathleen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Spence,

Our trip to the Villas de Santa Fe was wonderful. The staff were superior. The resort is small but sweet and very accomodating. They provided shuttle service within three and half miles of the resort. The location was an easy walk to town. Our room was small but very functional. Very nicely decorated. I would happily return. Sante Fe is lovely.

I give the resort two thumbs up.

Thanks Spence.
Kathleen

EileenSRN

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't have enough points to do much

I inherited my Week 8 4 bedroom L/O at Powhatan. My Mom was a charter member. After many years we finally got a Sunterra Club Membership. I kept my deed and can revert back if necessary. I joined the Club because I liked the looks of the Sunterra properties, and didn't like what was happening in RCI weeks. Granted, we have gotten some awesome trades with our little white Powhatan - Pres week in Orlando a few times, Catskills in July, Las Vegas in Feb, Az in Apr. Not always GC, but nice resorts. We even were able to gift a retired friend to a week in Maui in November. All these exchanges were in red time. My 2 2 bedroom units got us 2 2 bedroom units somewhere. I know many will say we're a good example of what's wrong with RCI. I also have to say that we're not long term planners. None of these exchanges were booked more than say 9 months out. What you (we) don't know before you join the club is exactly what your points will get you. I have 3000 points for each 2 bedroom unit. There's not much I can do with that, at least for the next 3 years, until we retire. Then we can take advantage of the 45 day discount - does it really work? We went to Powhatan for the first time in years in April -for 5 days. I tried to make it 6 (closest to the 3000 pts), but the system wouldn't let me take half a weekend (Sat at one end or Fri at the other). I love the MF at Powhatan - $350ish for a 2 bedroom and would like to pick up a red or holiday week time, but I'd have to pay again to bring that unit(s) into the fold. I'm sitting here reviewing what I wrote and it looks like I'm "Crying with a loaf of bread under my arm". (Got to be old to get that one!) Yes, I'm now getting the trades I "deserve". What I wish was that Sunterra wasn't so close to the chest with their program info. I wish I had known I had to give up a 2 bedroom white to get anything in pink or red, or could only stay 5 - or 4 - days instead of a week. I wish I could retire tomorrow...
Eileen

Spence

Banned
Reaction score
Re: I don't have enough points to do much

Then we can take advantage of the 45 day discount - does it really work?
It's 59 days and it sometimes works, usually in off or shoulder seasons

We went to Powhatan for the first time in years in April -for 5 days. I tried to make it 6 (closest to the 3000 pts), but the system wouldn't let me take half a weekend (Sat at one end or Fri at the other).
The 'system' will certainly let you take half a weekend. Under normal reservations a week in April (non-Easter/holiday) would be 4000 points, nightly rates are then 1/10th (400) for weeknights and 3/10ths (1200) for weekend nights, that would make 5weeknights+1weekendnight= 3200. For this April there was a big sale at 75% off and there was plenty of availability outside of 60days when there is a penalty for cancelling. You could have cancelled previous reservations and made new ones at 75% off the above rates!

EileenSRN

TUG Member
Reaction score
OUCH!!
And I waited till the 45 day mark to start looking for that extra day. Guess I'm back to the fine print again. RCI's Last Call did me in, apparently. Thanks for the heads up, Spence

madmitch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, my paperwork arrived today with my Club Sunterra Membership number and info to connect to the web-site.
(Se previous message about purchasing via resale)
I have 6500 points, but really don't have a clue yet how to utilize those for the "3-4 day" visits I hope to take.
Booking at 45 days out sounds great, if that works for less-than-week stays.
Also, when I connect into Member Benefits, I get a message I'm not registered or eligible yet... could be the $2995 option I haven't done yet, or just not enough time to set everything up.
I'll be calling the 877 number for more info and help...
and Spence, anything you have to offer is greatly appreciated.

madmitch

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK... I've had some time to digest the web site and review everything that seems to be an available option at this time for me.
First, let's backtrack. I purchased 6500 Points at Desert Paradise Las Vegas, a former Epic Resort now under the umbrella of Sunterra.
With that came Club Sunterra memership, use of the 19 resorts in the UDI Trust during the 13 month window, and the remaining resorts within the 10 month window.
I'm already an Interval member so we'll see if they extend that or what.
For now, I've been reviewing options for Branson, Sedona, Orlando for a November holiday. Not bad really from what I find on WebRes.
Looking for time at San Luis Bay Inn has proven to be a bitch, which is one reason I bought this (I own there through RCIM and hope for more time). But it gives me nice dates at Embassy Lake Tahoe as an option. (I also own at Tahoe Beach and Ski, maybe not for long now)
Trying to find a week in Hawaii has been a pain too, but that's not really a vacation priority for us anyway, just a test.
So, chances are I'll use some 2006 points for Sedona, bank the rest and see what I can put together for 2007.
Oh yes, those 6500 points can get me 8-11 nights in a 2-bedroom in Orlando... where 10 days is almost needed to really enjoy the fun!
(My 1-bedroom at TBSC will get me 7 nights 2-bedroom at Marriott Cypress Harbor or Grande Vista... now that'd be a holiday combo!)
Like Spence, so far, I can say I Like Sunterra too...

Spence

Banned
Reaction score
madmitch said:
I'm already an Interval member so we'll see if they extend that or what.
Your Club Sunterra membership to I.I. is unrelated to any other I.I. membership that you may have.

madmitch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's a new question for my fellow Club Sun associates.
We may be going to Sedona for 4 or 5 days between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Much depends on work schedule, availability and a few other things.
We are not golfers, but enjoy the outdoors, atmosphere, relaxation and great places to see and visit.
(My wife will be at the later stages of recouperation from a potential medical situation, so this really is for relaxation and change in atmosphere)
Of the Sunterra Resorts, only a 1 bedroom would be needed, what are your recommendations, plus what are your suggestions for not-too-strenious things to do?
Thanks all!
Regards
Mitch in Sonoma

fnewman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI Platinum member: Diamond US Collection, Cypress Point I, Powhatan Plantation, San Luis Obispo.
We very much enjoyed our stay in a 1BR at Sedona Summit a couple of years ago, so can recommend that one to you. The staff was very cordial and helpful. The resort is nice and well-located. See reviews for details. One thing you can do is to take a day trip by van to the Grand Canyon with stops at various other sites along the way. There is alos some very nice shopping if you are into that.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
At one time the following resorts were a part of Club Sunterra Resorts: Fort Lauderdale Beach, FL., Carambola Beach, US Virgin Island and the Savory on South Beach, FL can club members still exchange into these resorts?

fnewman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI Platinum member: Diamond US Collection, Cypress Point I, Powhatan Plantation, San Luis Obispo.
Referencing my 2004/2005 SunOPtions catalog, I see only the Westgate (Coral Sands) at South Beach and the Coconut Palms (New Smyrna Beach) in that area of Florida; in the Caribbean all I see is Flamingo Beach and Royal Palm Beach in St. Maarten, N.A.

tamtime

Reaction score
I like Sunterra too I am however a little nervous about what is going on now.

Last edited:

fnewman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What's going on?