• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I Just Cried In My Son's Arms

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

post-it

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, thank you all for your responses. It's been good to have a day to think things through. At almost 21 it's time to get this moving along if this is the path he decides.

I've talked to him about Air Force before and he did go to see a recruiter on this. He just keeps going to back to Army, he has this soft spot for this branch. He still has time to finialize this and to also change his mind completely.

Thanks for your kind words.

ok, thank you...I don't know how I ended up in such an off-topic area, but thanks for the link. I thought I walked into somebody's living room for a minute there...

luxuryphd, welcome to my living room.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
My real issue is with comment from Tompalm...

Seriously? Don't join the Army or Marines because they might be deployed? Sheesh...got choice words for you but can't say them here...but from this Marine, you have earned my disgust ........

Agree 100%. My Father served in Europe during WW II; I volunteered for the draft during the Korean War; my Brother served in Viet Nam; and my Son served 8 years in the Marine Corps with tours in Iraq and Kuwait. All of us knew it could be dangerous but were not deterred and ended up better people as a result of our service.

George

teepeeca

TUG Member
Reaction score
e.bram

Tell him to stay in college and then he can be on officer when he graduates not just some schlepper.

This is one of the most hurtful, ignorant, absolutely stupid statement a person could make. Several "facts": all college graduates are NOT officers; many, if not most NCO's (non-commissioned officers) have intelligence far above and beyond non-military persons.

To call the enlisted corps "schleppers" is very insulting. That poster should be absolutely ashamed of himself !!!

Tony

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Take e.bram's comments for what they are worth. His mindset is well known hereabouts.

I applaud Post-it's son's decision. If he's mature enough to know that he needs to go in a different direction, best to offer him support.

My own story was not a lot unlike Away-We-Go's. In High school, I preferred skiing to classes. Grades suffered. My first foray into college wasn't much better. There was an altercation going on in Southeast Asia at the time. I enlisted (Army) and after a couple of years in Europe, I earned an all-expense paid trip to join in the festivities. Unbeknownst to me, it nearly broke my mom's heart. All I got was support.

There is a price to pay to be a soldier. All his friends who stay in school will have their feet on the rungs of the ladder of success while he is serving. They will also have school loans to repay, which he won't.

There is a special camaraderie between soldiers and veterans that only they understand. It's a pride that no amount of flag-waving a non-vet can do, that rings a little hollow to one who has served.

So if Post-it's son feels the pull, support him and wish him 'Godspeed'!

Jim

Last edited:

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Take e.bram's comments for what they are worth. His mindset is well known hereabouts.

I applaud Post-it's son's decision. If he's mature enough to know that he needs to go in a different direction, best to offer him support.

. . . .

So if Post-it's son feels the pull, support him and wish him 'Godspeed'!

Jim

With Jim, as usual!

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since when is encouraging someone to stay in school a bad thing?

Since when school is not in the heart of the person. Encourage for their choices, not yours.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
College isn't for *everyone*. It's pretty simple. Try to keep up. :rolleyes:

And even if it will be for someone eventually, it might not be for that person at that time. This is pretty clear from the original post. The young man is not doing well in college at this time.

And you know what? I don't really want to teach him or the others whose hearts and minds aren't in it. They're not all going to be A or B students, but the ones who are barely going through the motions, barely able to keep up, not trying, partying too much, or for whatever reason doing poorly, don't belong there wasting their money and wasting their time and mine.

Maybe he'll come back to college later and do much better, maybe he'll become career military, maybe he'll use skills learned in the military and never go back to school, or heck, maybe he'll move to the hills of Vermont and raise goats. Or maybe he'll do all of those things at different times! He has to find what's right for HIM.

Last edited:

Janette

TUG Member
Reaction score
We had the same experience and our son enlisted in the Air Force. He got good assignments, good training, finished his degree and has a great job with Uncle Sam now. He had finished his 6 years before some of his buddies finished their college degrees.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

e.bram - in simplest terms, he has already been suspended from school due to failing grades...

Do you have kids?

geekette

Reaction score

when they are adults and realize they are wasting time and money. when they are struggling to try to do what someone else wants them to do but it's not what they want and they fear their inevitable failure that will let down those pushing them to remain there "no matter what."

Forcing someone to stay in school is not a good idea, except when the law requires they be in school.

geekette

Reaction score
ok, thank you...I don't know how I ended up in such an off-topic area, but thanks for the link. I thought I walked into somebody's living room for a minute there...

the lounge IS kind of a living room.

Welcome to Tug, where not only can you learn A TON about timeshares, but you can discuss pretty much anything (within very reasonable bounds, that is).

Lets Get Going

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bravo!

So mad I can barely see straight...

Schlepper? Well, I guess y'all took care of that comment...and I understand where he was coming from. But truthfully, some kids need a few years under a helmet to fully appreciate what honest effort can provide.

My USMC Corporal son is a fine case study. Bombed out of college his Junior year rather spectacularly. Enlisted because he really needed to. Deployed twice, married now, baby, and starting at the local college on the GI Bill. Entirely different focus now that he is 5 years older and much wiser. Oh, and he barely tolerates the now VERY young college party crowd...pretty amazing if you knew him then. Actually, to see him turn to jello with his new daughter rather tickles me.

My real issue is with comment from Tompalm...

Seriously? Don't join the Army or Marines because they might be deployed? Sheesh...got choice words for you but can't say them here...but from this Marine, you have earned my disgust (which isn't easy to do) and pretty much epitomize everything I ever disliked about the Navy. which was limited to certain rare individuals.

BTW, the warrior does not enlist for the job...I'll leave it to you to figure out what motivates a warrior...you might need to look it up...and it's not combat.

BRAVO! Spoken like a true Marine family member! When my husband was active duty (he's retired now) one of the things that made me angry about the young wives was when they would complain about their husbands being gone alot and being in harms way. My response was...and always will be..."Then you should have married that kid that worked at Walmart."
Semper Fi, Rob and Carol, and thank you to your son for serving!

Post-it.....don't worry, your son will come back to you the man you always hoped he would be. Whether he serves 4 years or 40, thank him for choosing to serve.

LynnMarie828

TUG Member
Reaction score
Crying

I cry because of my daughter's choices. They are so unproductive. And now she has a precious son. I always have wished she'd gone into the service to gain confidence and direction in life. She chose not to and continues to flounder at the age of 38.
I feel your pain. Different but similar!

Last edited:

LynnMarie828

TUG Member
Reaction score
Crying Mom

I haven't had any luck posting anything. I'll try this again. I think our children have to find their own way in life. Your son may be doing the best thing to move forward with a confident attitude towards life! Be encouraged and supportive. He will love you for that whatever happens.

post-it

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe he'll come back to college later and do much better, maybe he'll become career military, maybe he'll use skills learned in the military and never go back to school, or heck, maybe he'll move to the hills of Vermont and raise goats. Or maybe he'll do all of those things at different times! He has to find what's right for HIM.

Oh this is priceless pjrose. I think goat raising would be far more productive then his first 2 semesters. My husband and I have said he's a bit eccentric, this might just suit him. Too good, thanks!:hysterical:

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh this is priceless pjrose. I think goat raising would be far more productive then his first 2 semesters. My husband and I have said he's a bit eccentric, this might just suit him. Too good, thanks!:hysterical:

I originally typed herbs instead of goats....but I thought that might lead to some different interpretations :eek:

I think about doing something like that; get rid of all the stuff and technology and stresses and live simply. Probably somewhere warmer than Vermont, though :) .