• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I don't want to stay anywhere but Marriott

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
So my parents want to do New England this summer (we'll do our Caribbean vacation - hope, hope - if we get the FF miles) without them.

But I looked and looked at the reviews. Nothing looks like Marriott. I guess I'm a snob.

ellsworth

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, you are not a snob, just realistic! I had the misfortune of trading into a property outside of Marriott this May, 2008 and learned my lesson. A 5 star property in other venues often is not comparable.

pcgirl54

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
There is Wentworth by the Sea but it is expensive and it is a hotel. Marriott Custom House are 1 bedroom units limited kitchen. Unless you are staying in one spot for New England daytrips hotel or hotel suites are better than driving roundtrip if traveling all over New England.

HIgh season is summer and then the fall foliage.

You can try Residence Inns or Townhouse Suites with kitchens and living area. Sometimes there are email specials. RI has a nice hot buffet breakfast.

I love the resort selection that Marriott has. I have looked at other brands but there were either mostly west coast or ski locations and we are east coasters who love the beach.

Last edited:

wuv pooh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last I checked, Boston was in New England :) Custom House is a Marriott timeshare.

Latravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know what you mean. Once you get used to the Marriott standard, it's hard to go anywhere else. No matter what people say about the Marriott Company, you can always rely on a quality product.

bogeygolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know what you mean. Once you get used to the Marriott standard, it's hard to go anywhere else. No matter what people say about the Marriott Company, you can always rely on a quality product.

I concur, I've tried looking to purchase others such as hilton, hyatt or westin but none of them really has all the features that marriott offers with their selection of resorts, quality & amenties and their unique trading ability. I say marriott provides the best overall value and quality. What I really like about it is that no matter where you live in US, marriott has a property in most or all the major vacation spots/locations. Nobody has the selection that marriott has along with the quality to back it up!

Hey did you hear the news Marriott is now looking to build another property in downtown San Fran?

pwrshift

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
http://www.wentworth.com/

Wentworth By The Sea is a wonderfully restored historic hotel, a well deserved Category 6. They have 'marina suites' that have 1 & 2 bdrms plus full kitchen, dining room, living room, etc. But not a timeshare. And, in addition to kids, they permit pets ... my dog loves the place - we spent a week there last year and she's going again this year (part of a Cat6 pkg of course). Twice daily maid service and an oustanding restauant on premises that also prepares the room service food. Nice spa too. Fun shopping nearby in Portsmouth ... and no taxes in NH!

Boston Custom House is a timeshare, with 1 bdrm suites only, and daily housekeeping (unless that was changed since I was last there). Parking is about $45 a day though...but you're right across from the famous Boston Wharf, the Marriott Wharf hotel (Cat7), and Legal Seafoods and a bunch of historic places close by. Tough to get on an exchange though, except in the dead of winter.

Brian

salpal

TUG Member
Reaction score
My question is if Marriott is so great why are there so many for sale on ebay and other sites including TUG.

luckydude

TUG Member
Reaction score
All in the numbers

Marriott has well over 300,000 owners, when you calculate what percentage of Marriott units are up for sale compared to other brands the percentage is much smaller for Marriott.

Steve

Reaction score
I'm just glad that there are so many people who will only stay at Marriotts. That leaves more exchange opportunities into the Four Seasons, Hyatts, and Westins for the rest of us. :)

Steve

barndweller

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm just glad that there are so many people who will only stay at Marriotts. That leaves more exchange opportunities into the Four Seasons, Hyatts, and Westins for the rest of us.

DITTO!:D Thanks for leaving the "lesser" resorts like Aviara for me.

Transit

TUG Member
Reaction score
I like a nice Marriott also but there are way too many great resorts out there ( big brands and independants)to be so restrictive.:shrug:

lprstn

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I like a nice Marriott also but there are way too many great resorts out there ( big brands and independants)to be so restrictive.:shrug:

I 2nd Transit...but you like what you like and its your $$ and trade, I wouldn't settle anyway. Me on the other hand, I am not that picky, nice place, clean bed, decent decore where I want to be...I am happy, as I rarely (even with 4 kids) am in my condo except to sleep/eat quickly and wash.

JimIg23

TUG Member
Reaction score
I really liked every Marriott I have stayed at. I stayed at one non-Marriott in the Dells last year and was not nearly as happy with it. Still the optimist, I am trying another Dells TS later this year that looks fairly new and nice. If this doesn't work, I am sticking to Marriott only.

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
http://www.wentworth.com/

Wentworth By The Sea is a wonderfully restored historic hotel, a well deserved Category 6. They have 'marina suites' that have 1 & 2 bdrms plus full kitchen, dining room, living room, etc. But not a timeshare. And, in addition to kids, they permit pets ... my dog loves the place - we spent a week there last year and she's going again this year (part of a Cat6 pkg of course). Twice daily maid service and an oustanding restauant on premises that also prepares the room service food. Nice spa too. Fun shopping nearby in Portsmouth ... and no taxes in NH!

Boston Custom House is a timeshare, with 1 bdrm suites only, and daily housekeeping (unless that was changed since I was last there). Parking is about $45 a day though...but you're right across from the famous Boston Wharf, the Marriott Wharf hotel (Cat7), and Legal Seafoods and a bunch of historic places close by. Tough to get on an exchange though, except in the dead of winter.

Brian

Wow - that's awesome - but double points (no anytime stay). That's the darn problem with points. I almost traded for points again, but with all the nonsense with the airlines, i changed my mind. Then, seeing your post, Brian, I thought - I'm pretty sure I can change my mind again even though I booked a week - but I'm not willing to spend double points.

And yes - Hyatt, Westin, Starwood would make me happy too. But I didn't see any of them in New England. One bedroom in custom house won't do, but thanks for the thought.

We could always stay at Manor Club - maybe the folks would enjoy it - but I don't know if there's enough for the kids to do there (they aren't into the historic visits though my son is a history buff). I know there's an amusement park, but I can't take more than one day of that!

pwrshift

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
Ellen ... I wouldn't use 'stay anytime' rewards either, but you're leaving it very late to get a 'standard' hotel stay. However, I checked Wentworth and they had one for Sept 14 - 20.

I book mine months ahead and rarely miss out on standard stays but you have to have some degree of flexibility.

Brian

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ellen ... I wouldn't use 'stay anytime' rewards either, but you're leaving it very late to get a 'standard' hotel stay. However, I checked Wentworth and they had one for Sept 14 - 20.

I book mine months ahead and rarely miss out on standard stays but you have to have some degree of flexibility.

Brian

But it's NEXT August - Me??? Last minute! :hysterical:
And I checked July since it's too early to check the actual august dates...
Remember, I'm a teacher, so I can't go in September. :(

Last edited:

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
.... Nothing looks like Marriott. I guess I'm a snob.

Ellen, this is why I want to sell my 3BR CL ski week, even though it gives me an AC every year. I would like to buy another Marriott or even tap into Starwood. I too have become spoiled at the quality.

Terry :D

Larry

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

Completely agree. I have enjoyed the Marriotts I have stayed at but there are so many great timeshares in fantastic locations all over the world that I hope many of the Marriott owners feel the same way as the OP and leave the rest of the world for us non-Marriott owners.

I have stayed at resorts as nice or nicer than any Marriott that I have ever stayed at, and I have also stayed at many nice resorts ( maybe not quite as nice as a Marriott) that have no Marriotts in great locations, so please don't go there and only stay in a Marriott.:cheer: :rofl: :hi:

Latravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the poster, and I, like the quality of all Marriotts but would definitely stay at resorts of equal quality. I wouldn't say no to a Four Seasons- i'm not crazy!

I think there are Marriotts for sale on EBAY because owners want to get away from paying the MF's, not because they are unhappy with the quality. Along with the higher quality, there are higher fees.

kjd

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
What's the alternative to higher maintenance fees?

What are the alternatives to paying higher MF's? You can always use an II getaway. However, you won't usually have a choice of locations in peak times.

You can always rent a hotel room. Some of those prices have almost doubled recently. A Marriott Fairfield in a resort location usually costs over $100 per night. And you still have a hotel room with no kitchen or w/d.

You can always rent from a private owner at a sub-Marriott quality TS at a cheaper rate. Or, you can rent from a Marriott TS owner who is looking to cover his/her MF thereby not saving any money.

You can rent your TS to someone and stay home and watch TV or visit relatives. Hopefully, you will cover your MF.

You can sell your TS and take a beating in the resale market.

The reality is that higher MF's are a fact of TS ownership and will continue to rise in order to maintain the Marriott standard. If you like to vacation with the Marriott brand there are no reasonable alternatives once you're an owner.

Larry

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
You can rent your TS to someone and stay home and watch TV or visit relatives. Hopefully, you will cover your MF.

I rent out all my Aruba weeks and make about a 15-20% return on my investment. None are Marriott's (although one is managed by Marriott) and they pay for all 8 weeks of my maintenance fees and then some left over.

So I am left with four weeks of free vacations every year and I trade all of them for quality resorts all over the world including Marriott's. My next vacation is to Marriott Ocean Point in Palm Beach.:cheer: :banana: :hi:

barndweller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone who limits their options for vacations to ONLY one brand or locks themselves into only accepting what is in their mind an "equal" exchange based on MF expended is being shortsighted. They will probably never be disappointed, to be sure, but neither will thay ever discover the little known gems and the special places where there are no big name brand mega resorts.

I don't want to limit my life experience to some standard vacation that a brand name is known & expected to deliver. I want some adventure and unexpected memories from my travels, too. If I don't take a few chances that will never happen. How boring. Sometimes it isn't about the fancy designer decor and the swim up bar and water feature and lovely lobby. Sometimes it's all about the place. Marriott may be in a lot of major vacation destinations but they aren't everywhere. Thank goodness.

To the OP, if all you ever want is the experience that you believe Marriott guarantees you, then good for you. Stick to Marriott. But for me, no way. I have no intention of closing my mind to other possibilities.

Last edited: