• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hyatt Vacation Club

Steve

Reaction score
Hyatt and Four Seasons

Hyatt and Four Seasons have far fewer owners than Marriott, Hilton, and Starwood. Indeed, Four Seasons only has two timeshare resorts: Aviara and Scottsdale. Hyatt has more timeshare resorts, but their resorts are small with far fewer units than most Marriott, Hilton, and Starwood properties. Hence, far fewer owners.

The Hyatt points system is very rigid and complex. It's not straight forward...nor is it owner friendly, in my opinion...so ease of use is not the reason that their aren't many Hyatt posts.

Steve

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Steve said:
...The Hyatt points system is very rigid and complex. It's not straight forward...nor is it owner friendly, in my opinion...so ease of use is not the reason that their aren't many Hyatt posts.

Steve

It sounds like you're not a Hyatt owner. Actually, the system is structured, but once an owner thinks about it a bit, it's pretty straight forward. You just have to plan ahead. You've got 6-months to decide if you want to use your deeded unit/week. If not, you've got 12-18 months to do an internal exchange. If you use Interval, you've got 2 years.

Present

Reaction score
Hyatt also seems to be much more flexible with taking mini-vacations (3 or 4 days). My next one will definitely be a hyatt! :)

IAMTHEWALRUS

Reaction score
We've owned a Hyatt four 5.5 years. Even though we bought it from the developer (we've since been educated through TUG) we regret nothing. It was worth every penny! The service is awesome. The trades are unmatched. And with one week, you can get multiple vacations if you use II. So the slightly higher maintenance fees are well worth it.

GCB

Reaction score
price

Does anyone know how much you should pay for a Hyatt Timeshare on the secondary market? How often does Hyatt use the right of first refusal?

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
You're asking a pretty broad question, sortof like:

"How much should one pay for a hotel room?"

Reason is that Hyatt itself sells timeshare units in the $8K - $650K range, depending on type and resort. You might assume resale would be at about 40-70% of Hyatt's asking price.

Hyatt is very aggressive on it Right of First Refusal program.

GCB

Reaction score
Price

If what you really want is points, why pay a high price when you can get the same points for less money? Are some properties impossible to get using your points? What am I missing?

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
In short, some properties will be impossible to reserve with points. As an example, an Aspen Xmas/NY unit sold for $650,000. It is highly unlikely the owner would deposit that unit into the HVC system and use the points elsewhere when (s)he could privately rent that unit for maybe "a small hotel on Boardwalk".

In other situations, for new resorts, it will take some time for those units to become available to the HVC. Owners would likely stay in their newly purchased units before they start to venture out to stay at other HVC resorts using points.

However, if you are flexible and plan ahead you can use points to get into many HVC resorts during High Season weeks (provided you have sufficient points available at the right time). For me, for many years, I use points to stay at other HVC resorts and there has never been a situation where my request was not filled for the exact resort, week and unit size requested.

GCB

Reaction score
Thank you

Kal, thank you.

If you were going to buy "points" in the Hyatt system, where would you go to get the best deal?

pizzagirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Steve said:
Hyatt and Four Seasons have far fewer owners than Marriott, Hilton, and Starwood. Indeed, Four Seasons only has two timeshare resorts: Aviara and Scottsdale. Hyatt has more timeshare resorts, but their resorts are small with far fewer units than most Marriott, Hilton, and Starwood properties. Hence, far fewer owners.

The Hyatt points system is very rigid and complex. It's not straight forward...nor is it owner friendly, in my opinion...so ease of use is not the reason that their aren't many Hyatt posts.

Steve

We have owned Hyatt for 4 years now. I do not find the point system complex at all. After one short points workshop, during your first stay, unless you are a moron, you've got it (even if you didn't understand it before). It is an easy system giving you the flexibility to plan ahead, stay for shorter periods if you like, or exchange within or outside of Hyatt's properties. So far we have never had an exchange request denied. When you own Hyatt, they have their own reps who do everything for you. Couldn't be easier! Not to mention their properties are impeccable.

dgriffin7

TUG Member
Reaction score
How is access to 3 BR units?

We are a family of 7, which I understand precludes us from most, if not all, 2BR units and many of the properties. Are there some 2BR units that accomodate 8?

Also, for the mountain properties that have 3BR units, how is winter and summer availability?

What are examples of trades people have been able to make?

I am very interested in Hyatt, but am concerned that we will be severely limited in options.

Thanks in advance.

ZDJ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Re: Good Point

jwm1950 said:
You make a good point regarding what is billed as an advantage for Pinion Point - From what I can see in the info provided to me by Hyatt, the biggest cost is Engineering & Housekeeping (200 per unit). The only other 3 digit costs are $143 for Gen Admin and $115 to cover Interval International's membership. The rest is small dollars but they plus the items above add up to $798 per week.

I don't mind paying a reasonable maint fee if they are using it to keep place up and the service is good (it is from what all of you have said). Thanks a lot for all your input and advice. We have until 3/31 to decide.

One disadvantage of buying resale for us is the inability to trade for Hyatt Gold Passport points - there are several places we wish to go that have a Hyatt hotel but no HVC resort. We were thinking the transfer of points the passport side might help us with these stays. But I don't think that advantage is worth more than a couple of thousand dollars -

2,200 Diamond points buys 90,000 gold passport points
90,000 points equal 6 nights in New York or about $2,400 in peak season. Since we are looking at buying two weeks we would be able to trade one week each year. We would not do that each year of course but its something the wife is interest in. And when the wife's happy.....I'm happy. So many ways to look at this
again - thanks

So Pinon Point maintenance fees are $798/yr? How much were they asking for the interval itself?

thx

Brian Allen

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Timber Lodge
I'm seeing that Marriott bought Hyatt Vacation Club. Does anyone know if/when Hyatt Vacation Club will be integrated in to Marriott Vacation Club, as Sheraton and Westin was?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I'm seeing that Marriott bought Hyatt Vacation Club. Does anyone know if/when Hyatt Vacation Club will be integrated in to Marriott Vacation Club, as Sheraton and Westin was?
Despite what the timeshare salespeople might sometimes say, there are no plans to integrate Hyatt into the Abound by Marriott Vacations point program.

Brian Allen

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Timber Lodge
Despite what the timeshare salespeople might sometimes say, there are no plans to integrate Hyatt into the Abound by Marriott Vacations point program.
that's a shame. With Welk Resorts going to Hyatt, I see some locations I am really interested in

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
How is access to 3 BR units?

We are a family of 7, which I understand precludes us from most, if not all, 2BR units and many of the properties. Are there some 2BR units that accomodate 8?

Also, for the mountain properties that have 3BR units, how is winter and summer availability?

What are examples of trades people have been able to make?

I am very interested in Hyatt, but am concerned that we will be severely limited in options.

Thanks in advance.
One of our daughters has five children, they are also a family of seven. They have stayed in 2 BR’s in San Antonio and Breckenridge, no issues at all. We have a 3BR at Breckenridge Main Street Station and have slept 10 many times…