• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 31 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 31st Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hyatt Vacation Club - Should we Rescind?

WhenInHere

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Saturday (3/11) we went to a presentation at the Welk property in Escondido for the travel gift and came away buying into this Hyatt Vacation Club program, which is I guess what they call the Welk program now that it's been merged with Hyatt. It sounded like a good deal at the time, but I'm sure like many others, I've been growing more cold on it. We've got 7 days to rescind and I'm now heavily considering it. My money is too tight as it is.

But now we have dreams of going on affordable vacations and we'd hate to see us lose everything they offered us. Tbh, now I wish I didn't go at all, because I was perfectly happy with my life before we went, but now I know what lifestyle I'm missing out on and the stress of trying to make a good decision has compounded my usual money stresses. But I'm very confused and don't want to make a mistake and you kind people seem like the experts.

So we bought 120,000 points bi-annually (every other year) with their club. It's worth about a single bedroom studio with a kitchen, which is probably fine for us since we don't have kids, and they said it could be easily upgraded into better rooms for a little money. It also came with a free bonus week, from Interval I believe, which I think we get gold membership to for 2 years(?) (I'm still trying to parse this contract, I hope I'm getting these parts right). It cost around $17,000 dollars with about $1400 in maintenence fees. It's got 14% interest, so we'd want to pay it quickly down so we don't end up paying double that in 10 years.

Now, we're not actually that interested in the Welk properties. A couple seemed kinda nice but the closest one isn't in the most convenient spot (I wish Escondido was closer to San Diego) and we also don't care to go to the same resort every year (or every other year).

Instead, these are the parts that sold us:

1. Being able to transfer our points into interval for $279 and stay in a one-bedroom at any resort in their catalogue they showed us for a week. $279 for a week seems like a cheap way to stay in various countries all around the world. They also said something about the Elite status of their properties gives us higher priority or something like that? I'm still not sure how the Elite and Premium rank of the properties comes into play but apparently it helps. This is the main thing that made it seem attractive. We also like that we could split it up into less than weeks, so we could take weekend jaunts to Napa or Vegas or whatever.

2. Transfer our points either through interval (?) or through their World of Hyatt program to stay in any Hyatt hotel, which also expands the places we can stay. We go to Comic-Con every year and were hoping this could let us stay in the expensive downtown hotels. If it let us stay in what are usually $500 a night downtown hotels during comic con for $279 the whole week then that would be awesome and could quickly add up to be worth it over a couple years.

3. They gave us some nice perks. 120,000 bonus points this year, 2 bonus free interval weeks, a VIP dining experience at the new Gordon Ramsey Hell's Kitchen restaurant near the Escondido Welk resort through some new Hyatt experiences thing they said they're starting. I'll really miss that one if we rescind, but I don't think I care about these as much.

4. It sounds kind the whatever gold membership that comes with a concierge also offers discounts on flights, which would also help pay for the other expensive part of traveling. Once again, a lesser priority, but it did factor into me buying it.

Why not rescind? Our concerns with not keeping it:
  • The main thing we want is the flexibility to travel to different places around the country and world, which, judging from the presentation, seems to be through access to the II thing. If it can't be resold with that interval stuff attached, then does that mean buying on the resale is it not worth it for us? Or can we buy points or something for cheap on the resale market, or through another vacation club or timeshare program, and then still get interval to work with that, so we can still go somewhere different every year?
  • They also have first right of refusal during resales that we saw. If we rescind, will we not be able to buy this in the future because they saw that we backed out and prevent us from buying better deals on the resale market in the future?
  • Also, like I said above, we couldn't actually find a lot of ways to buy Hyatt Vacation Club stuff in resale markets, so we're wondering if that's harder to do than it seems. Would we rescind this and just end up buying from the developer again if we decide we want this in the future?
  • Finally they set up an owner's call on Friday. Should we use that opportunity to ask questions and clear stuff up? Is it not worth it because they'll use any opportunity to get us to not rescind and stay in even when that's a bad idea and we've proven we can fall prey to their tactics?

Sorry for the all of text guys. We really want to make sure we're making the right decision. This has been terrible on our anxiety and mental health today and yesterday. We've got the rescission letter written up, just looking for a reason to do it. Thanks for any help and advice you can give.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
Yes. Rescind immediately. You can buy the same week for pennies on the dollar on the resale market.

FOLLOW THE RESCISSION INSTRUCTIONS TO THE LETTER. Spend the extra couple bucks and send it return receipt requested so you have proof they got it in time. Don't call. Don't talk to them. Just cancel. You are paying thousands for something which you might be able to acquire for free.

After that, go find the "what should I buy" sticky post and answer it. People will gladly help you find a timeshare which works for you.

But cancel first.

EDIT -- If you decide later that you actually wanted to spend $17K for that week, they will GLADLY sell it to you again. But you're going to be happy you canceled once you do your homework.

WhenInHere

Reaction score
Also, can posts be edited on mobile? I could probably shorten my message by a bit and make it cleaner. I don't see an edit link.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Also, can posts be edited on mobile? I could probably shorten my message by a bit and make it cleaner. I don't see an edit link.

You can't edit until you've been a member for awhile.

I'm a former Hyatt timeshare salesman (not Welk). I've even stayed at that resort. It's quite nice.

Yes, you really can stay in great places for a small exchange fee and your annual maintenance fee. All of that is absolutely true. But you don't have to spend $17K to buy one. Just cancel and then hop on the Hyatt timeshare forum here if you want to know everything there is to know about Hyatt. There are a dozen people there who know the system inside and out.

RunCat

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HPP, Sheraton Flex.
As a Welk owner, rescind. they should never sell 120K EOY point ownerships; IMO there are too many limitation with that point value. Save your money and buy resale at CalResorts.com or elsewhere.

(FWIW I used to sell for Starwood).

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Absolutely rescind. You only have a limited time and there is so much more you probably need to learn and understand. The short time period isn't enough. You only have one chance to rescind, but the same or similar offer will be there to buy points direct from Hyatt/Welk later. RESCIND!!!

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome to TUG! I'm delighted that you found us in time.

120K Welk is too small to use effectively. Rescind. Larger account sizes are being given away in the FREE section up top. However, I don't want you to look there yet; I want you to RESCIND right now. I will point to the free accounts in a subsequent post.
You don't yet know enough to understand the limitations of a resale Welk account.

There are many very good timeshare systems. The good systems do not penalize their resale owners. On this website, we have topics for Marriott, Vistana (Westin & Sheraton), Hilton, Hyatt Residence Club, WorldMark, Wyndham, and others.

I presume you live in California or in the western US? First look at each of the timeshare websites and see where they have resorts. Then ask about (or read about ) the one(s) which have resorts you wish to visit.

Hilton is a points system. See where they have resorts and determine if you like those.
You can access the Vistana points system by buying at certain resorts resale.
Marriott can be purchased as a weeks system, for $2K - $4K or as a points system (for quite a bit more)
WorldMark is a very flexible points system. They have many resorts in the western US. $1K and up depending on account size

Last edited:

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
grats on finding TUG in time to save 17k!

hope you spend that money saved to take some fantastic vacations over the next few years!

WhenInHere

Reaction score
Thanks everyone!!! We've gotten the rescission letter written up and are ready to send it out! I'll print it out at work tomorrow and send it out ASAP. We're going to send it overnight mail certified at the nearest post office.

And honestly, this makes me feel so much better. It's great to see real actionable advice with promises for more, that's given in a nice, polite way that doesn't make me feel dumb for having done this It's very much appreciated.

Reaction score
Hi all! Girlfriend of WhenInHere here. Wanted to chime in and say thank you for all of your advice. The rescission letter went out today: I faxed a copy and sent the original by certified mail to be absolutely sure it is received as soon as possible. Looking forward to learning more about timeshare ownership!

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Cute screen names.

annebean

Reaction score
Yes. Rescind immediately. You can buy the same week for pennies on the dollar on the resale market.

FOLLOW THE RESCISSION INSTRUCTIONS TO THE LETTER. Spend the extra couple bucks and send it return receipt requested so you have proof they got it in time. Don't call. Don't talk to them. Just cancel. You are paying thousands for something which you might be able to acquire for free.

After that, go find the "what should I buy" sticky post and answer it. People will gladly help you find a timeshare which works for you.

But cancel first.

EDIT -- If you decide later that you actually wanted to spend $17K for that week, they will GLADLY sell it to you again. But you're going to be happy you canceled once you do your homework.
Can anyone send rescind instructions. I didn't get any. thank you.

ScoopKona

Reaction score

You most certainly did. It's in the packet of papers. You signed that you received these papers. And you received rescission instructions in these papers, which you also signed for that you received them. And you signed that you acknowledge that there is a deadline for rescission.

You received copies of everything you signed -- so you have to find the relevant paper and then follow it to the letter.

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
Some TS companies hide those instructions, in a hidden pocket in the binder they give you or in a file on the CD or flash drive they give you. So you need to look very hard, read everything carefully, open everything. Good luck.

ETA - found your other post. Glad to know you found the instructions. The TS companies are required to include specific rescission instructions in the written materials, but they aren’t required to tell you verbally. And of course they don’t want to put any such ideas into your head!

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Some TS companies hide those instructions, in a hidden pocket in the binder they give you or in a file on the CD or flash drive they give you. So you need to look very hard, read everything carefully, open everything. Good luck.

ETA - found your other post. Glad to know you found the instructions. The TS companies are required to include specific rescission instructions in the written materials, but they aren’t required to tell you verbally. And of course they don’t want to put any such ideas into your head!
I don't think Marriott Vacations plays those games (they own Welk, now Hyatt Vacation Club). The main thing is to read the contract in its entirety. It will only take 20 minutes at most. A small piece of time when talking about nearly $20,000.

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
I don't think Marriott Vacations plays those games (they own Welk, now Hyatt Vacation Club). The main thing is to read the contract in its entirety. It will only take 20 minutes at most. A small piece of time when talking about nearly $20,000.
Yes, I know. What I did not know when I posted what you quoted was which TS system annebean had purchased. I found that out when I read the other thread.