• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hyatt Residence Club -- how it works. (In as few words as possible.)

wendyleighj

TUG Member
Reaction score
THIS ONLY DESCRIBES THE LEGACY HYATT RESIDENCE CLUB, SOON TO BE VACATION CLUB. DEEDED WEEKS. PREFERABLY BOUGHT RESALE.

1) You own a week. Any time between one year and six months from the beginning of that week, you may call/login and reserve what you own. That's it. You are done for the year.

2) Any time between one year and six months from the beginning of your week, you may call/login and convert your week into points. (This will typically range from 1300 to 2200 points for a two bedroom unit.) At the six month mark, whether you like it or not, your week will be converted into points. It is still possible to use what you own, but it is not guaranteed. If someone else booked your week at six months, tough. Savvy Hyatt owners keep an eye on what they want at the six month mark, and then pounce as the procrastinators are automatically converted to points.

3) You may spend your points three ways:

a) World of Hyatt (hotels). Don't do this. It is a waste of points and a waste of your maintenance fee. If there's absolutely nothing else you like, fine. Go ahead and convert to Hyatt Gold Passport points. But this is a bad idea.

b) Internal Hyatt exchanges. Stay either a full week, or 2, 3 or 4 nights at one of the 16 Hyatt properties. The point charts are listed as a sticky. In general, mid-week stays cost the fewest points, weekends cost the most (on a per night basis). If you have enough points, and a unit is available, you can reserve it with your points and a $40 exchange fee. ($80 if less than a full week.) Point costs range from trivial (Colorado during mud season) to 2200 points. An owner with 1300 or 1880 points can still get the ski weeks and the snowbird weeks in Florida -- by trading down in size. You can jump up or down in season or size so long as you have the points to pay for what you want.

c) Interval International. You can book II weeks anywhere from one year to four months out from your week. If you need more time to plan, you can deposit your points into Interval any time between one year and four months out. And they're good for one full year past your week. (This is the best solution if you can't find anything you want.) There is no "trading power index" or similar. Hyatt owners get the II week if one is available -- anywhere, any time of year. During peak season, the cost of a II week is either 430, 870, or 1300 points -- studio, one bedroom, two bedroom. Point costs are lower for shoulder and low season -- 260, 540, and 800 for low season and 360, 740 and 1100 for shoulder season. My wife and I have made out like bandits trading for Europe in the winter. All II weeks come with a $150 exchange fee, paid at the time of booking. You can purchase trip insurance which allows you to cancel and book something else up to a year later. I can't speak to how that works because I never bother.

4) All of this can be accomplished online or via 1-800-GO-HYATT. If you have a tricky request, the operators at GO HYATT in St. Petersburg are outstanding. "I want this area, any time during this time frame, and I want either a studio or a one bedroom. They will take your payment information if what you want pops up, and you'll get it. This is not automatic. But I've found it to be reliable. 80% of the time, I get the trade I want. (But I'm also making requests such as, "Kona Coast resort, any week in October" or "Week 51 or 52, anywhere in France, any size unit." I'll get an email with my confirmation tout suite.)

5) The down side to all of this is if your plans change or if you can't make up your mind, Hyatt will cheerfully let you squander your week, your points and your maintenance fee. They give you a last-chance option to use expired points. But that comes with many restrictions, and isn't worth wasting words. There is more to the system. But this is enough to make a decision about whether this system is right for you.
THREE EDITS TO YOUR POST:

1. INTERNAL EXCHANGES are available for ANY NUMBER OF NIGHTS when booking PORTFOLIO CLUB inventory which is available to DEEDED owners, applicable to the CLUB TO CLUB EXCHANGE PROVISION (generally occurring within 6 months of occupancy).

2. 18 MONTHS IN ADVANCE OF A DESIRED CHECK-IN DATE a DEEDED/LEGACY owner may make unlimited "REQUESTS" (Request List option) for full or split weeks at any of the original participating HRC resorts.

3. WORLD OF HYATT exchanging of club points option is only applicable to weeks purchased from the HRC developers or an authorized reseller.

Last edited:

marciaheitz

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The last time I stayed at a Welk resort the signs and staff all referred to it as a Hyatt resort. I knew Hyatt acquired Welk but I also thought Marriott acquired Hyatt......did I dream this?

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
The last time I stayed at a Welk resort the signs and staff all referred to it as a Hyatt resort. I knew Hyatt acquired Welk but I also thought Marriott acquired Hyatt......did I dream this?

This is only for the 16 properties of what is now being called the Hyatt Vacation Club Heritage collection. The Welk properties are called "HVC Platinum" and there is no overlap, as yet.

I've owned a single Hyatt week for 20 years. I've never owned anything else so I can't help with Welk. I assume it's frustrating being a Welk owner and only being able to see through the Hyatt window, not really getting a chance to play around with 16 new properties. It's the same for Hyatt owners who would like to go to Tahoe or Santa Fe easily.

marciaheitz

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wasn't an owner.....I traded through interval. But I do own in several systems and did I DREAM that Marriott bought Hyatt?

Scavanjer

Reaction score
Marriott Vacations Worldwide Corporation and the programs and products provided under the Marriott Vacation Club, Sheraton Vacation Club and Westin Vacation Club brands are not owned, developed, or sold by Marriott International, Inc. Marriott Vacations Worldwide Corporation uses the Marriott marks under license from Marriott International, Inc. and its affiliates.

The Hyatt Vacation Club programs are independently owned and operated in respective parts by HV Global Group, Inc. and WHV Resort Group, Inc. Hyatt Vacation Ownership and its affiliates use the Hyatt names and marks under a license from an affiliate of Hyatt Hotels Corporation.

In 2018, Marriott Vacations Worldwide purchased ILG for a reported $4.7 billion and since the Hyatt timeshare operation was part of ILG, it was acquired by Marriott. Fast forward to 2021 and Marriott bought Welk Resorts for $485 million, which meant that Welk and Hyatt were now both part of the Marriott Vacations Worldwide empire. So, Marriott started moving the chess pieces around in order to relaunch the Hyatt Vacation Club.

marciaheitz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you think this will mean that someday Marriott and Hyatt will be able to exchange in their own system without Interval Int? I'm kind of over the exchange companies. I like to be able to make solid plans which require solid reservations. I pretty much stay within my 3 systems for most things these days.

sponger76

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you think this will mean that someday Marriott and Hyatt will be able to exchange in their own system without Interval Int? I'm kind of over the exchange companies. I like to be able to make solid plans which require solid reservations. I pretty much stay within my 3 systems for most things these days.
I suppose it's possible at some point, but others who have listened to or read transcripts of investor meetings have reported that corporate leaders have made remarks that they do not plan to do so.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, HGVC The Bay Club, HGVC Elara, Worldmark
Few words: Sponge Bob graphics

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

LMills

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Vista, Marriott Monarch at SeaPines, Marriott OceanWatch, Vistana Bella at Vistana Resorts, Westin Kierland, Prestige Travelers, Marriott Abound Points
Thank you for this great explanation. I am curious, is there any losses in the use of a deeded week from purchasing through resale?

For example, with Marriott, if a deeded week is purchased through resale, there is the loss of the Marriott hotel point system (terrible conversion) and loss of their vacation point system (Abound ... also, a terrible conversion).

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you for this great explanation. I am curious, is there any losses in the use of a deeded week from purchasing through resale?

For example, with Marriott, if a deeded week is purchased through resale, there is the loss of the Marriott hotel point system (terrible conversion) and loss of their vacation point system (Abound ... also, a terrible conversion).
For deed, only WOH conversion.

FrankM480

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Main Street Station
THIS ONLY DESCRIBES THE LEGACY HYATT RESIDENCE CLUB, SOON TO BE VACATION CLUB. DEEDED WEEKS. PREFERABLY BOUGHT RESALE.

1) You own a week. Any time between one year and six months from the beginning of that week, you may call/login and reserve what you own. That's it. You are done for the year.

2) Any time between one year and six months from the beginning of your week, you may call/login and convert your week into points. (This will typically range from 1300 to 2200 points for a two bedroom unit.) At the six month mark, whether you like it or not, your week will be converted into points. It is still possible to use what you own, but it is not guaranteed. If someone else booked your week at six months, tough. Savvy Hyatt owners keep an eye on what they want at the six month mark, and then pounce as the procrastinators are automatically converted to points.

a) World of Hyatt (hotels). Don't do this. It is a waste of points and a waste of your maintenance fee. If there's absolutely nothing else you like, fine. Go ahead and convert to Hyatt Gold Passport points. But this is a bad idea.

b) Internal Hyatt exchanges. Stay either a full week, or 2, 3 or 4 nights at one of the 16 Hyatt properties. The point charts are listed as a sticky. In general, mid-week stays cost the fewest points, weekends cost the most (on a per night basis). If you have enough points, and a unit is available, you can reserve it with your points and a $40 exchange fee. ($80 if less than a full week.) Point costs range from trivial (Colorado during mud season) to 2200 points. An owner with 1300 or 1880 points can still get the ski weeks and the snowbird weeks in Florida -- by trading down in size. You can jump up or down in season or size so long as you have the points to pay for what you want.

c) Interval International. You can book II weeks anywhere from one year to four months out from your week. If you need more time to plan, you can deposit your points into Interval any time between one year and four months out. And they're good for one full year past your week. (This is the best solution if you can't find anything you want.) There is no "trading power index" or similar. Hyatt owners get the II week if one is available -- anywhere, any time of year. During peak season, the cost of a II week is either 430, 870, or 1300 points -- studio, one bedroom, two bedroom. Point costs are lower for shoulder and low season -- 260, 540, and 800 for low season and 360, 740 and 1100 for shoulder season. My wife and I have made out like bandits trading for Europe in the winter. All II weeks come with a $150 exchange fee, paid at the time of booking. You can purchase trip insurance which allows you to cancel and book something else up to a year later. I can't speak to how that works because I never bother.

4) All of this can be accomplished online or via 1-800-GO-HYATT. If you have a tricky request, the operators at GO HYATT in St. Petersburg are outstanding. "I want this area, any time during this time frame, and I want either a studio or a one bedroom. They will take your payment information if what you want pops up, and you'll get it. This is not automatic. But I've found it to be reliable. 80% of the time, I get the trade I want. (But I'm also making requests such as, "Kona Coast resort, any week in October" or "Week 51 or 52, anywhere in France, any size unit." I'll get an email with my confirmation tout suite.)

5) The down side to all of this is if your plans change or if you can't make up your mind, Hyatt will cheerfully let you squander your week, your points and your maintenance fee. They give you a last-chance option to use expired points. But that comes with many restrictions, and isn't worth wasting words. There is more to the system. But this is enough to make a decision about whether this system is right for you.
So I am looking to buy into Hyatt again and want to make sure that I understand what I am buying. The last time I bought it was supposed to be for a ski week but ended up being a mud week and was refunded. I am currently looking at what is stated to be a Deeded week 5 2 bedroom at Main St. Station with 1440 float points. Ideally I would like a week 9 but my family could make a week 5 work. Based on what you posted am I to understand that one year out I could lock my week 5 or could wait until 6 months out and attempt to get week 9? Any help would be appreciated!

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So I am looking to buy into Hyatt again and want to make sure that I understand what I am buying. The last time I bought it was supposed to be for a ski week but ended up being a mud week and was refunded. I am currently looking at what is stated to be a Deeded week 5 2 bedroom at Main St. Station with 1440 float points. Ideally I would like a week 9 but my family could make a week 5 work. Based on what you posted am I to understand that one year out I could lock my week 5 or could wait until 6 months out and attempt to get week 9? Any help would be appreciated!
Your Home Week can be booked 12-6 months out. After that you can use your points at other locations/weeks. Weeks 6-12 at that location are Diamond weeks and require 1450 for a 1 BR and 2200 for a 2 BR. I don't see any options for 1440 points, you might want to check on that. Week 5 is Platinum which would be 1320 for 1BR or 2000 for 2 BR.

FrankM480

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Main Street Station
Your Home Week can be booked 12-6 months out. After that you can use your points at other locations/weeks. Weeks 6-12 at that location are Diamond weeks and require 1450 for a 1 BR and 2200 for a 2 BR. I don't see any options for 1440 points, you might want to check on that. Week 5 is Platinum which would be 1320 for 1BR or 2000 for 2 BR.

Yes, I think you are on to something as I dig deeper 1440 point are assigned value for a "float" week. I will need to figure out what timeframe that is and if that means that I would still be allowed to use week 5 as home week.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Yes, I think you are on to something as I dig deeper 1440 point are assigned value for a "float" week. I will need to figure out what timeframe that is and if that means that I would still be allowed to use week 5 as home week.

People get way too wrapped up by the word "float." It's 1440 points. You can use those points any way described in the original post. You can't reserve your home week" because there is no home week attached to those 1440. This doesn't happen in the other Hyatts -- only one (two?) of the ski properties.

The picosecond you pay your maintenance fee and your year anniversary happens, you can book what you own and that's that. And then you have extra playing around points for the 16 HRC properties and everything in Interval.

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
How does “World of Hyatt, Unlimited Vacation Club work”?
We’re at a Secrets resort in Mexico and signed up for an “info session “ to learn about this while we are here. We are promised $600 in Spa certificates (enough for 2 80 minute massages ) for attend the 75 minute presentation.

We have no intention of buying anything (I know…famous last words, lol)
I see from above thread, that use of Hyatt Vacation club weeks and points for this purpose is a bad deal.

What are they going to try to sell us?

Thanks,

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How does “World of Hyatt, Unlimited Vacation Club work”?
We’re at a Secrets resort in Mexico and signed up for an “info session “ to learn about this while we are here. We are promised $600 in Spa certificates (enough for 2 80 minute massages ) for attend the 75 minute presentation.

We have no intention of buying anything (I know…famous last words, lol)
I see from above thread, that use of Hyatt Vacation club weeks and points for this purpose is a bad deal.

What are they going to try to sell us?

Thanks,

Brian

Do you know if is is Portfolio or Platinum?

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
We went to the presentation today. We got our $600 in spa certificates and booked 2 - 80 min massages at no cost during our stay as our attendance incentive gift.

They tried to sell us the Impressions top tier and platinum (2nd highest tier) membership at hundreds of thousands of $$. When we said no, and were ready to walk, the sales manager offered us a trial 5 year membership. It was for $5,000 and included a free 7 night stay at most any all-inclusive like Secrets plus a deeply discounted 7 night stay. In addition he gave us one year of impressions and 2 years of Platinum member benefits, including member discount rates at Zoetry, their top of the line spa all- inclusive properties.

Being retired, we will easily be able to use these benefits and try out the program for a few years before deciding if we want to upgrade (their hope).

Anyone with experience in this Hyatt Travel Club that can advise of best ways to use it?

Thanks,
Brian

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Anyone with experience in this Hyatt Travel Club that can advise of best ways to use it?

Absolutely none of that is the Hyatt Residence Club, which has 16 properties, none of which are in Mexico. Welk has a Mexican property, but I didn't write the guide for Welk. This is ONLY for legacy HRC 16-property deeded weeks. Not portfolio. Not Welk.

Get as far away from that "deal" as you can. Going on presentations is never a good idea. Your time is worth more than anything they could possibly give you.

Kpaul

TUG Member
Reaction score

A few months back (6+) I was able to see the ROFR for Hyatt Vacation Club Kaanapali but I can't find it searching the Tug's website. Can you provide the link or location for me to find it? Looking at some resales, it looks like they do not offer a float on 3-bedroom units, is this accurate?