• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hyatt breckenridge trades

Reaction score
I am thinking about buying a unit at the Hyatt in breckenridge via resale but it is for week 9. Typically, my children are on spring break weeks 12 or 13. Assuming I try to get the preferred weeks 10-12 months ahead of time, how difficult is it to switch from week 9 to another week (3-4 weeks later) at this property?

Thanks!

Last edited:

mwwich

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about buying a unit at the Hyatt in breckenridge via resale but it is for week 9. Typically, my children are on spring break weeks 12 or 13. Assuming I try to get the preferred weeks 10-12 months ahead of time, how difficult is it to switch from week 9 to another week (3-4 weeks later) at this property?

Thanks!

There are several Hyatt experts better at this than I....but I don't think owning week 9 will help you much in getting week 12 or 13. With Hyatt you need to have enough points available at the time you want to book, and you need to be at the front of the line from a request point of view to get the week you want. Owning week 9 will only gaurantee you week 9, and that is held for only so long before you lose that right.

We own 2600 points but don't own Breckenridge, but we could have as good a chance as you do at week 12 or 13 if we request early, etc. Assuming those weeks can be had for 2600 points....we're not skiers so not familar with what it takes to stay there in prime season.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Reaction score
I think that is correct, the only clarification I think is that these weeks (diamond) are 2950 points at this property for a 3 BR. however, conceptually I think you are correct.

I guess what I am trying to ask is the following:

- if I own week 9 but want to trade to week 12 or 13 ( weeks 6 - 12 are diamond here) occasionally because of kids spring break sched, how hard is that if I know 10-12 months ahead of time? Does that make sense?

ra34

Reaction score
I think that is correct, the only clarification I think is that these weeks (diamond) are 2950 points at this property for a 3 BR. however, conceptually I think you are correct.

I guess what I am trying to ask is the following:

- if I own week 9 but want to trade to week 12 or 13 ( weeks 6 - 12 are diamond here) occasionally because of kids spring break sched, how hard is that if I know 10-12 months ahead of time? Does that make sense?

I am new to this also but this is my take - you can put your request in early on (12 or 18 months - not too clear on that one yet) and hope you get the week you want but you many not get the request until after the time window expires for your week 9. It is a gamble. Anyone with enough points can also request that week and unit type. My understanding is that you will have no preference over other HVC owners but you will have enough points so that may weed a lot out. I have not been in the system long enough to play around but I can tell you I did look around for a ski week in the next few months and nothing was available (keep in mind this was a week ago for this year). My guess is you most likely will not know that far out because the owners of that week will not yet have given up their week (if they are going to do so). Remember you have your week guaranteed for 6 months after your points become available. But again, I am new to this so maybe someone with more experience will chime in.

Reaction score
Thanks! Being new, I have another question. If I purchase multiple deeded Hyatt TS's and decide to not use the specific weeks at each resort, can I combine the points for one trade or do I need to keep them separate?

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Being new, I have another question. If I purchase multiple deeded Hyatt TS's and decide to not use the specific weeks at each resort, can I combine the points for one trade or do I need to keep them separate?

As long as you keep the name/names on the deeds exactly the same, you can co-mingle (combine) points from different owned weeks for use as you deem appropriate.

Note that while the 3 br week 9 at MSS is 2950 points, the unit also has 1920 floating points - so you'd wind up with 4870 points per year (that's alot of points.) FWIW The view from unit 4210 would be right up Main Street (iffin that's the one you're considering).

DVB42

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
As long as you keep the name/names on the deeds exactly the same, you can co-mingle (combine) points from different owned weeks for use as you deem appropriate.

Note that while the 3 br week 9 at MSS is 2950 points, the unit also has 1920 floating points - so you'd wind up with 4870 points per year (that's alot of points.) FWIW The view from unit 4210 would be right up Main Street (iffin that's the one you're considering).

What exactly is meant by "floating points?"

dvc_john

TUG Member
Reaction score
What exactly is meant by "floating points?"

The Colorado resorts were sold a little differently. You bought 1 of about 20 or so 'ski weeks', and you got an additional number of floating points to use during the rest of the year.

jdunn1

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you could settle for the Marriott in Breckinridge, you can save a boat load of money and have an almost sure shot at getting week 9 or 10 or 12 or whatever winter week you want except for Presdidents week and Christmas/New Years.

Just suggesting becuase the Marriott and Hyatt Main Street Station are so close, and the Hyatt uses the Marriott pool and hot tubs, anyway. The Hyatt is much newer and probably nicer but the Marriott is in a better location. Only one bedrooms and studios at the Marriott, though.

I'll be at the Marriott for this Presidents week. Looking forward to seeing the Hyatt, too.

Not sure about the price for the Marriott but I am thinking you can get a winter one bedroom for a thousand dollars or so, prices have come down that much!

Thanks!

ondeadlin

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is my first year as a Hyatt owner (Sedona) and I was able to trade within the Hyatt system for the first week of april in Aspen. I did not place my request until about the 10 month mark, and was initially told the prospects were not good when inventory did not release at the 6 month mark. But I hung in there and it came through.

I would strongly advise against purchasing in Breckenridge. Your cost-to-points ratio and your fees-to-point ration will be tremendously higher than if you bought a diamond week or diamond week off eBay.

For comparison, you could buy two diamond weeks at Sedona for 4400 points and have MFs of under $2,000 a year. Your total cost to purchase on eBay would probably be under $18,000.

Unless you absolutely, positively want to guarantee the same week every year in Breck (or Beaver Creek, for that matter), you're better off buying single weeks elsewhere. In your case, you're not getting that guarantee - so that's something to consider.