• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hurricane Ike is after me

Debbyd57

TUG Member
Reaction score
Or, worse for us, it could hook left and hit Mississippi. This is our second hurricane season and I don't think we will ever get used to it. But, we left the land of earthquakes for the land of hurricanes. I guess at least with the hurricanes, we have a warning. Does anyone know how to board up windows on a brick house? We haven't figured that one out yet and with a yard full of trees, we may need to know. Debby

Moosie

TUG Member
Reaction score
To all that end up in harm's way, hope you are safe and do whatever it is to remain safe and sound. Keeping you all im my thoughts for safe keeping.

summervaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
My nine year old son's name is Ike, and he can be such a stinker!! We are all having fun laughing at the headlines about Hurricane Ike.

Not laughing about your life, limb or property being in it's path though. Stay safe!!

Debbie

S

Steamboat Bill

Well...I am technically off the radar screen (for now) as it appears to be headed towards Key West and into the Gulf....possibly heading to New Orleans.

Nothing is for certain as tracking is only accurate to 48 hours or so and the farther out is highly unpredictable.

Many people here are putting up their hurricane shutters.

The Conch Man

Reaction score
Sorry to hear bout hubby JoAnn, ya have enough problems as there is but glad he's doing better & glad the "help" is around to do things for ya. We were flooded here bout a week ago but we did ok but the neighbors didn't but I'm sure you heard bout it.

Button-up those hatches for Ike as it looks like it could possibly run into us, hope ya feeling good Rap & are ya coming back next month?

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
....possibly heading to New Orleans....

While the governement is spending tens of billions of dollars rebuilding from previous damage, maybe they should go ahead and build high speed bullet train from New Orleans to Houston.

The New Orleans residents, who are already tired of making that drive, could just hop on and be here in a snap.

Terry

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
While the governement is spending tens of billions of dollars rebuilding from previous damage, maybe they should go ahead and build high speed bullet train from New Orleans to Houston.

The New Orleans residents, who are already tired of making that drive, could just hop on and be here in a snap.

Terry

That's if Houston isn't a target, too. Maybe the train should just head to Branson. ;) Party on!

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just read on the Delta Airlines site that Key West is ordering mandatory evacuations.

S

Steamboat Bill

yes, there is an evacuation of the Florida Keys now.

It appears to be heading South into Cuba and may bounce up towards the keys and Gulf.

What is scarry is that New Orleans is a real possibility again.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That's if Houston isn't a target, too. Maybe the train should just head to Branson. ;) Party on!

The heart of Houston is 50-60 miles inland. People do not usually usually evacuate unless they live further south toward the coast. During Rita, which was a larger storm than Katrina, many people did evacuate because of the scare factor Katrina.

We did not evacuate, and 90% of those who did would not do it again. City officials have made it clear that they do NOT want anyone but those nearest the cost to evacuate in the future.

Terry

S

Steamboat Bill

Ike is tearing up Turks and Caicos and headed for Cuba....this is an incredibly strong storm.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Bill,

Has the HCC Turks and Caicos property made any provisions for hurricane protection?

Richard

S

Steamboat Bill

Bill,

Has the HCC Turks and Caicos property made any provisions for hurricane protection?

I know they have double paneled hurricane impact glass, but they are on the first floor on Grace Bay and could be affected by flooding, if it is bad.

I have already sent HCC an e-mail and there have been no reports from Turks & Caicos so far as the entire island lost power.

I am hoping that the only damage will be trees and awnings as this area offers very little protection.

One thing of interest is the basement parking garage. I know they have had water problems there on normal rain days, let alone a Cat 4 Hurricane. I will post if I hear any news.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yikes! Now it's coming at me.

Bill,
Thanks for the heads up, but now it may actually be after me. My boss was going to buy two generators and some plywood this afternoon (they can be returned only if unopened).

The NHC five day forecast, which can change hourly, now shows Ike being just offshore of Galveston, leaving us on the dirty side of the storm. I only have two large 8'X8 southern exposure windows to deal with, it shouldn't be all that much work to prepare. We dealt with it for Rita two weeks after Katrina hit N.O.

We'll keep watching. :(

Terry

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
Wondering if there were any HCC members there as Ike came through and if HCC did anything to evacuate them?

...I have already sent HCC an e-mail and there have been no reports from Turks & Caicos so far as the entire island lost power.