• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HUGE Hilton Fee Increase for 2007

Steve

Reaction score
I am stunned at the increase in fees for my HGVC Hurricane House week on Sanibel Island. The fees (maintenance fee & taxes) have jumped from about $760 last year to $1099 this year. There is no special assessment. That's just the new amount of the maintenance fees and taxes. Ouch. Insurance has gone up and they are increasing the reserves, etc...but that's a huge increase in one year.

One of the biggest surprises to me is the property taxes. Last year the taxes were about $70. This year they are $189.06. That's quite a jump...and it makes the property taxes on the villa $9828 per year. For a 2 bedroom condo. That's just hard to believe.

In contrast, the property taxes for my week at HGVC Club Regency on Marco Island are $39.81. I think Sanibel is nicer than Marco...and Hurricane House is definitely nicer than Club Regency. But these are both beachfront properties on exclusive islands in Southwest Florida. How can there be such a big difference in taxes? (I guess Lee County is a lot more desperate for money than Collier.)

I have seen the complaints of others about Marriott...and I, too, have taken a hit on my Marriott week. But I wasn't prepared for this kind of a jump from Hurricane House.

Steve

Sir Newf

TUG Member
Reaction score
In my humble opinion, you might recommend to the board that the name be changed from 'Hurricane House'....seems like a red-flag to an insurance agent??

dvc_john

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ditto for Sanibel Cottages. Insurance went from $38 to $108, which is most of the operating expense increase. Property taxes are $195. Reserves went up about $100. Total: $1119.

Casa Ybel, on the other hand, hasn't gone up much. They did have a special assessment last year though. Not for hurricance damage, but rather other repairs/maintenance they decided to do while the place was torn up. Total for 2007: $772.

Last edited:

rfb813

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just for information, I have a full condo (2BR,2BA) in a beach area in Florida and the insurance for the condo association went from $152,000/year to $646,000/year and the taxes are $9300 for the unit. The insurance and tax issues in Florida have been a serious political issue.

Gramma5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just more FYI...I also own a condo in Fl. near the beach and my homeowners insurance doubled this year and taxes went up 33% for 2006 and have now gone up 30% again this year! By law Fl. can not increase taxes on property that is homesteaded by more than 3% but those of us that own second homes in the state are being hit hard with increases in property taxes!
Makes one want to retire and establish residency ASAP!

CaliDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess this is a good thread to point to , when people want to save money getting into HGVC points , by buying an affiliate.

Those increases are outrageous. I think we'll be seeing some firesales on many timeshares on ebay this year.

CaliDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good point.. I forgot about that one :eek:

Have you seen your MF bill? Typicaly they are online by now.
I would be curious to see the increase at South Beach.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
OUCH....and to think I was sort of miffed at our 4.6% increase in MF's at the HGVC at the LV Hilton.

travel girl 2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ugh!!!

:bawl:

Maintenance Fee and Tax Payment Breakdown
Description Due Date Balance
2007 Operating Fee 01/01/07 $567.95
2007 Reserve Fee 01/01/07 $118.25
Real Estate Taxes 01/01/07 $56.93
2007 Club Dues 01/01/07 $90.00
Total Current Balance: $833.13
Voluntary Arda & Roc/Pac $3.00
Total Current Balance: $836.13

It was around $650 last year...makes me want to own something in Vegas instead. I have been tossing around how to increase my points. Maybe I should purchase a larger Vegas contract for more points and sell this one off...SIGH!!!

BTW - we own a 1 bed GOLD at South Beach

CaliDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow.. I would get rid of it and buy something else.

You can get a 2bd Platinum in Vegas for $150 less in MF's.

biswassb

TUG Member
Reaction score
My MF for 2 BR Seaworld Platinum went up $93:

2007 Operating Fee 01/01/07 $539.69
2007 Reserve Fee 01/01/07 $99.25
Real Estate Taxes 01/01/07 $159.70
2007 Club Dues 01/01/07 $90.00
Total Current Balance: $888.64
Voluntary Arda & Roc/Pac $3.00
Total Current Balance: $891.64

i39249

TUG Member
Reaction score
Vegas vs Florida annual fees

:eek: I own HGVC at Las Vegas (Karen) 7000 points. My annual fee is $733.33
I also own at HGVC South Beach 7000 points. The annual fee there is $963.86. I wasn't expecting South Beach annual fees to be that high. Ouch. Oh well. I'm sure going to enjoy my vacations........ :)

wrxdoug

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have owned two sanibel hgvc timeshares for about five years now one in shell island and the other I recently sold at casa ybel. Our associations decided on special assessment fees rather than rolling it into our yearly fees and I thought it was a good choice personally. Special assessments are a one time fee and they were around $430 dollars last year which was I thought reasonable considering they not only redid both resorts but made necessary upgrades to wiring etc. that would have needed to be done in the future. Since the walls were all open it was cheaper to do this now than later thus the special assessment fees which were going to come regardless of any hurricane when they needed to update the wiring etc. Our present overall fee for shell island is now $818.49 all inclusive this year which is up about a $100 from last year. There was a slightly less increase for casa ybel unit F. I am not uncomfortable with this considering both are new resorts now top to bottom and are associations (both) did a good job of keeping the costs down over the years. Seems the associations were more conservative than the boards on sanibel cottages and hurricane house I would guess over the years. I am very confused about Steve's report that his property taxes at sanibel cottages went from $30 dollar range up to over $100 this past year. I am really confused because I have been able to deduct the property taxes for my two resorts shell island and casa ybel over the last four years or so and have never paid close to that and have always been closer to the $100 mark for property taxes. Even more confusing to me is property taxes is usually based on assessed value and they usually take square footage of a home condo timeshare into account. Sanibel cottages are the largest by far units I understand of all the timeshare condos in the hgvc managed units on sanibel island how is it that shell island owners and casa ybel association F, G, H owners pay 3 times as much in property taxes over the last few years?? I have to say I am really shocked that Lee County did that.

wrxdoug

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Personally, I am very happy with shell island and casa ybel and the fees associated considering being hit by a major hurricane. The only reason we sold our casa ybel was because it was a fall fixed week and our friend bought it who is close to retirement and it works well for her. In the future I would be interesting in looking to purchase another casa ybel unit if we could afford it. Their maintenance fees have been consistently the lowest on sanibel and almost all the units have a view of the gulf unlike some sanibel timeshares. Shell island has been great because it is located within walking distance of restaurants, small shop or two and an ice cream place. It is also within walking distance of the lighthouse and they have free bike use for people staying there. That saved us a bit when you figure renting bikes for a week for four or five people costs quite a bit. Does not sanibel cottages and hurricane house belong to the local golf club or country club and people do not pay any fees to golf there? That must add to the overall yearly fee as well and adds to the yearly fees charged..

Steve

Reaction score
Hi Doug,

Hurricane House does belong to The Dunes Golf & Tennis Club and owners get free greens fees. (Tortuga belongs as well, and I think Sanibel Cottages does, too.) This membership is one reason that these resorts have always had higher fees...but it is not a factor in the huge increase in fees.

As for the taxes...it just doesn't make sense. I found my Hurricane House statement from last year and the actual numbers are: Last year's taxes: $80.93. This year: $189.06. Lee County is out of control.

The figure I mentioned in the $30 range was for my Club Regency of Marco Island week. The taxes this year are only $39.81. That's a reasonable amount to pay...but it's in Collier County instead of Lee. The total amount due (maintenance fees and taxes) on this week is $747. Not super cheap, but a heck of a lot more reasonable than Hurricane House's $1099.

Steve

dvc_john

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll just add that the special assessment for Casa Ybel last year was the first one ever, and I've owned this resort since it was under construction (1982 if I remember correctly).

Also, Sanibel cottages does not have a golf program. It was proposed a couple of years ago, but was voted down by the owners. It would have been a big benefit to golfers who owned prime winter weeks, and a financial drain on non-golfers, and owners of non-prime non-winter weeks.

Last edited:

Amy

TUG Member
Reaction score
rfb813 said:
Just for information, I have a full condo (2BR,2BA) in a beach area in Florida and the insurance for the condo association went from $152,000/year to $646,000/year and the taxes are $9300 for the unit. The insurance and tax issues in Florida have been a serious political issue.

Wow! :eek: What would a retiree on fixed income do with an increase like that? Who would buy that condo faced with that bill?

spike

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm thrilled

CaliDave said:
I'm glad I stayed out of the Florida market
My resale purchase of HGVC Seaworld (Orlando) 8 years ago was a great investment for me, even with this years increase in taxes.

I'm glad I did it and If I needed more vacation weeks, I'd seriously consider HGVC again.

mesamirage

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thrilled for fee increases??

spike said:
I'd seriously consider HGVC again.

But wouldn't you now (if you purchased another) buy a HGVC location that isn't likely to see the out of control fee increases each year due to the location (ie Florida)?? I think that is the point here....

biswassb

TUG Member
Reaction score
mesamirage said:
But wouldn't you now (if you purchased another) buy a HGVC location that isn't likely to see the out of control fee increases each year due to the location (ie Florida)?? I think that is the point here....

Most HGVC owners bought it for the "Hilton" name without really knowing what is involved in Hilton timeshares. It is just human nature not to admit making a mistake. Afterwards, most owners somehow try to justify in their own mind that their decision to buy Hilton is the absolute best.

wrxdoug

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Again, there seems to be a huge disparity in fees and increases between those hgvc sanibel timeshares that may not all have to do with property taxes not sure. My increase at shell was only 13 percent and casa ybel was less so those associations boards must be doing something right. I would question your board about the exact reported increase in case there is some error and they should explain. Did they roll into the present yearly fee what a special assessment would have cost you and this increase is only for this year? Since both shell and casa ybel paid special assessments (again not unusual due to the age of all these timeshares anyway regardless of the hurricane damage) if you added the $450 paid to yearly fees either $650 for casa ybel or $818 for shell island then they would be the same as what you reported. Some explanation is required by your board what is going on here? I would definitely question that one is seems not right exactly. Obviously, Casa Ybel and even Shell are more reasonable choices for yearly fees at Sanibel and both choices seem better now that either hurricane house or sanibel cottages or tortuga in light of the present high fees you will be paying.