• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hubby sold entire Lionel Train collection for $200!

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
....and $1,000's of dollars worth of Lladro. It just never ends. When I cleaned out my parents home after they passed away 10 years ago I couldn't give their stuff away. I had to pay to have someone haul it away. I should have learned then. One person's treasure is another person's junk. Check out George Carlin's routine about "stuff" on YouTube.

That happened to me with my parents house!! We tried to have a liquidator auction. We got pretty much nothing- only the bedroom set sold and for peanuts. It was a very unique antique set. Then, we had to have literally a tractor trailer from the same company come twice to empty the house and it cost a couple of thousand dollars. We surmised that they probably took it down to their store in Long Island, NY.I always hear my parents' voices in my head- "don't throw this out when we die- it is worth a lot of money. Sell it." They kept everything they ever owned! Depression glass, old records, I can't even begin to list them....It was a nightmare!

That is why I am constantly nagging my husband about emptying his garage and the attic. First, we hope to move when we retire and who wants to do that when we will be older? Second- if/when something happens to us, don't want our poor son to have to deal with it. He will have enough to do as it is.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I have about 75 Hummels. Enough said.

So true... My aunt had 100s and after she passed, My Mom had them 'appraised'.
I showed her the real cost by selling one on eBay... $20 highest bid (by me as we did'nt to lose it) - the appraised value? $125...

such I deal I got...
nobody in the family wants them - dust collectors (albeit - beautifully hand painted dust collectors)

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't appraisers get their fee based on the VALUE of the estate they are working?

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Don't let your husband, (or you, for that matter), feel bad for selling his trains for $200. If he felt at the time he got a fair deal, they went to a place that will appreciate them for what they are, the stuff is gone, and neither of you has to worry about it anymore, then $200 is a fair price for what went out the door.

The trick now will be to use the momentum to get him to get rid of other stuff, the sooner the better. Strike while that iron is hot. ;)

Dave

glmyers

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't appraisers get their fee based on the VALUE of the estate they are working?

Reputable appraisers do not base their fee on the value, but on the complexity of the job and the agreed upon scope of work.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score

Maybe we are comparing apples to oranges. An appraiser should to the work based on a set price for their work.

But, that said, estate auctioneers base their commission on a percentage of what they are able to sell the goods for. I paid 1/3, 33% to the estate sale that liquidated my mom's stuff. They brought additional items from their inventory, and from other, smaller sales that wouldn't bring the buyers that Mom's would. In the end, we were satisfied with the results. It broke my heart, what some of her 'treasures' brought, but it is what it is.

Jim

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
OMG! I forgot to add that the day we had the estate sale just so happened to be the day of Hurricane Irene! My mom's middle name was Irene! I swear I think it was her being upset at the sale of their precious life possessions!

We were annoyed that the liquidators still held the sale, but the ads had been placed and so on and they went ahead. They had to shut down early as the storm became more intense as they had to travel over bridges to get back home. Another reason the sale maybe didn't do well. I will never forget that day.

In fact, the day we closed on her house was another major wind storm and a big tree bough fell off of the house and crashed into a front gutter just before the closing. And- our atty was very delayed because of a hold up on the bridge because of the wind storm. This was Veterans Day 2011.

Again, I swore it was my mother getting upset about the sale of the house.

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
This entire post has me thinking a lot. It is a wake up call for us baby boomers. I have had to whittle down my 92 yr old mom's stuff recently when she moved out of her house. Most of what she has I don't want or need, despite its intrinsic and emotional value. There is still tons of stuff there in storage.

My husband and I still have a garage full of "stuff" from a move 7 years ago. We are whittling away at this, giving it away as much as is humanly possible. I am tired (taking care of him [he's disabled] adds to my stress levels).

My DD has absolutely no interest in these things. Young people are building their own lives, getting their own stuff. Their stuff is different from our stuff: more streamlined, modern and even minimalist. DD (daughter) has said numerous times that she doesn't want our stuff and would prefer that we deal with it. Same for DS (our son).

I believe that there will be more of these types of articles and posts as baby boomers get older and try to figure out how to deal with our stuff.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Don't let your husband, (or you, for that matter), feel bad for selling his trains for $200. If he felt at the time he got a fair deal, they went to a place that will appreciate them for what they are, the stuff is gone, and neither of you has to worry about it anymore, then $200 is a fair price for what went out the door.

The trick now will be to use the momentum to get him to get rid of other stuff, the sooner the better. Strike while that iron is hot. ;)

Dave

Thanks. Working on him slowly. I think the more he sees me part with the things I hold precious, the more he is inclined to dispose of his.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

We interviewed just 2 liquidators. Had a hard time locating any. It was them or 1-800-JUNK, which was expensive for the large amount of content in the home.

Anyway, they look at the possessions and tell you what the value they think is and what they think they could get for the stuff and then state a fee - I honestly don't remember what it was. I really thought they were both sleazy so we went with the ones who sounded more realistic in telling us not to have high expectations. I have a feeling they make most of their money just taking possession of the stuff and cleaning the house out and charging you for that.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
My father was an artist and my brother and I still have a few of his paintings. I am redoing our living room next spring and I am going to be taking them all down and will have to get rid of them as I am not hanging a lot of pictures anymore and many won't go with my simplified decor. I have one in particular that he painted of our home when we first bought it. He was very sick- his hands shook- and the custom frame he made for it is warped. But it is still very nice and it is going to be hard to get rid of it. I also have another I will be taking down that I always liked and he hated- he had it in his basement for years and I convinced him to make a barn frame for it and give it to me. My brother has a signature painting- one of my dad's firsts and a notable- in his attic and he says he doesn't know how he can get rid of it. I told him we have to do it. The past few years as we have redone our home I have donated things like my grandmothers old washboard that my dad hand painted as a decorating piece, things like that. I have been donating things of mine to an organization I belong to for their garage sales to raise money. I decided it just had to be done.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
This entire post has me thinking a lot. It is a wake up call for us baby boomers. I have had to whittle down my 92 yr old mom's stuff recently when she moved out of her house. Most of what she has I don't want or need, despite its intrinsic and emotional value. There is still tons of stuff there in storage.

My husband and I still have a garage full of "stuff" from a move 7 years ago. We are whittling away at this, giving it away as much as is humanly possible. I am tired (taking care of him [he's disabled] adds to my stress levels).

My DD has absolutely no interest in these things. Young people are building their own lives, getting their own stuff. Their stuff is different from our stuff: more streamlined, modern and even minimalist. DD (daughter) has said numerous times that she doesn't want our stuff and would prefer that we deal with it. Same for DS (our son).

I believe that there will be more of these types of articles and posts as baby boomers get older and try to figure out how to deal with our stuff.

Yup. I always used to tell my parents this. We have our own stuff. We have no room for any more. My parents wanted us to take their piano- their pool table-we had no room for it, nor did we think we would use them. Convinced my mom to donate to a veterans place when dad died.

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
Very timely thread for me and I can relate to the posts throughout.

My father was an artist and my brother and I still have a few of his paintings. I am redoing our living room next spring and I am going to be taking them all down and will have to get rid of them as I am not hanging a lot of pictures anymore and many won't go with my simplified decor. I have one in particular that he painted of our home when we first bought it. He was very sick- his hands shook- and the custom frame he made for it is warped. But it is still very nice and it is going to be hard to get rid of it. I also have another I will be taking down that I always liked and he hated- he had it in his basement for years and I convinced him to make a barn frame for it and give it to me. My brother has a signature painting- one of my dad's firsts and a notable- in his attic and he says he doesn't know how he can get rid of it. I told him we have to do it. The past few years as we have redone our home I have donated things like my grandmothers old washboard that my dad hand painted as a decorating piece, things like that. I have been donating things of mine to an organization I belong to for their garage sales to raise money. I decided it just had to be done.

My mother is an artist also in various mediums. When we redid our house about seven years ago, we went with the minimalist approach; very few knickknacks and only a very few selected pieces that we picked out personally ourselves hang on our walls. There is much art work stored in closets and drawers of hers. I know it is disappointing to her. Her artwork presence is still quite evident in our home. She has made comments many times since our renovation about us not hanging pieces of hers back up. She is completing a painting now that she wants me to use in my foyer. I don't want it because I like my foyer as it is. Leaving her house last week, I was told that the rifle over her mantle "stays in the family." :doh:

When she's tired of things or wants to get rid of things, we are the recipients. Our attic has many things in it to be brought down and gotten rid of because we took the stuff off her hands, not really wanting it. Foot is going down. No more. We've got our stuff.

My Mom has been bringing up her possessions the last couple of weeks and telling me what I should do with them. Last week, she said "I know you don't like talking about this, but......". Her idea is to start a notebook and go through each room and place her perceived value of things on each item. She also has directions on how I should dispose of things (Estate sale by appointment only and there's people that she can direct me to in my endeavor).

Yup. I always used to tell my parents this. We have our own stuff. We have no room for any more. My parents wanted us to take their piano- their pool table-we had no room for it, nor did we think we would use them. Convinced my mom to donate to a veterans place when dad died.

I might print out this thread and get her to read it. I don't know if that will help. Letting go is hard, I know.

I started working on our attic last weekend. I only got to the boxes of Halloween decorations from when my sons were children. I haven't decorated in years......my yard is now decorated for Halloween. :rolleyes: It will be donated or tossed when Halloween is over.

There's a truck collection, as well as other "collector" items of my husband's upstairs. He is under the impression they have potential value. Yup, need to print out this thread for him also.

Mom has Jim Beam bottles from back when they were collectibles from my Grandparents. They have no value from what I saw in eBay.

Mom has a doll collection from my great, great grandmother. She wants to find a doll collector because surely they have value. Nope.

Yup, I got my stuff. I don't want your stuff. My sons are just starting out and don't have anything at this juncture. They don't want our stuff or Mom's stuff. When my husband and I were starting out and didn't have anything, getting other's cast-offs was great. It allowed us to have stuff.

Today's a different day. Roll with it and let it go. :hi:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Take clear photos of the things you're getting rid of, write down the history of the piece, and save it all in a photo album. That way you can show others the things that you treasured that have gone to new homes, where they can be loved by new owners. But even more, you can say to your friends, "Let me share with you some of the lovely things my Father painted." You and your brother can each have an album, and share in those family memories. A photo album is much easier to have around than the actual painting.

Along those same lines, I have BOXES of photographs and negatives from my parents and grandparents, many more than I'll ever be able to use or appreciate, and a lot are of people who I don't know. I'm tempted to donate them to a local historical society, as time capsules of life in this area in earlier times. Maybe somebody else knows who these people are. But before I give them away, I'm scanning them into folders on my computer. Just in case. ;)

Dave

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
^ scan cafe is a good way to do this without taking months of your life.
I'm sure the society would appreciate the digital copies also.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Egret1986 has just reminded me that we have Hess Trucks up in the attic. My mother and father always bought one every year for our son. I think a few were never even played with. And- yeah- I actually don't decorate for anything anymore- even XMAS- because we usually go to visit our son who lives in another state. (We stay at a timeshare and our son brings along his little mini plug-in tree! LOL!) We work all day, so don't see the point. We don't have any grand kids or company coming over, etc. Last time we did it was the year my dad died and we went out and bought an artificial tree for the first time ever (as opposed to cutting a real one down) and we only put lights on it- no ornaments.

I did get rid of some XMAS stuff and I am thinking it is time to get rid of the rest of it, including that tree. My dad has been dead for 10 years. Our son has been out of the house just as long as well.

I am keeping all the pics of my son (which are in a box in the attic), though my husband has scanned the pictures. If and when our son gets settled someday maybe he will want them. I did keep a few mementos from when he was a baby, etc.- I got rid of most of his other things. If he is not more settled when we retire and move, it is going to be very difficult to throw them out, but I don't see how we can downsize and take them with us.

Our garage is a whole 'nother story. Hubby keeps everything-"just in case". Doesn't like me stepping in there and touching anything. (LOL!)

It's so overwhelming, but we have put a big dent in it the last few years as we redo the rooms in our house. It is very freeing to get rid of these things. Once they are gone, it is amazing how you really don't miss them and you really can live happily without them.

These things ARE NOT our loved ones. They are just little mementos that remind us of them. Keeping maybe a small item or, as Dave said, maybe taking a picture of one (or more)of the things, is a good idea. (But, make the pics digital.):)

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
My spouse collective those cute Ty Beanie Babies. They were cute, she enjoyed the hunt and now she can see what a waste of money and space in the guests bedroom.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I am actually proud of my husband for departing with the trains. When we redid his office this year, I suggested he might want to keep his engine that he had since he was a kid in the display case on top of his new credenza. Thought it would look nice there. He got belligerent- didn't want to, even though prior to the renovation, he always had it on display. I couldn't understand it at first, but I guess it was an emotional process he was going through. He got rid of it along with the other trains.

Here's another- when we redid out kitchen 2 years ago, I recalled I had an everyday dish set that was in the attic from my bridal shower in 1977! I already had another set from my shower- which I am still using. Anyway, I was saving it, thinking maybe my son could use it someday.

Took the box down and the dishes ironically matched my new cream colored kitchen cabinets with glass fronts perfectly! I thought they would be perfect to display and use. So- I added them to our other set. The yellowed out gift card and manufacturer fact sheet was still in the box. These dishes were from a distant relative, so couldn't be very expensive at the time, yet they were hand made in the USA from a very longtime company. They are microwavable, oven proof, freezer proof, don't scratch when using a serrated knife, etc. They have a 1970's look, but they are great dishes! I can't believe the quality of them compared to what you would get today made in china. Something glad I kept for 38 years!

At work, the young girls laughed when I told them I still have towels from my bridal shower - used and unused- to this day! My mother was so obsessed with making sure I had enough towels and washcloths (and sheets) and so on that she told everyone that is what I really needed.

The sheets are now used for covering the floor when we have a project to do and the some of the towels as rags (but- still have them!)- but I do still have quite a number of very good used towels and some unused. Again- they were so well made then and I just rewashed and never got around to using the others. Crazy!:rofl:

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My aunt in another state just told my sisters and me that she would like us to split up our grandmother's Fostoria set. It is beautiful, I know. Not sure I want anything though. How to get it to our houses? We all live far away. And my cupboards are stuffed. I am trying to clear out our own accumulations of 36 years.

Happytravels

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are down to three!!
inherited "the collection"

Yes I inherited a collection (13 huge boxes) of the Lionel trains. He passed away in 1990..They are too in the attic. We have never even taken them out of the boxes. My father spent lots of time looking and driving all over the place for (northeast USA, Went to train shows in NYC) for that "one" special train he needed for his collection. He used to get so excited when he found the 'ONE". After talking with a friend who does some ebaying..told me the truth that they would probably not bring anything near what he paid for them...As of right now they are still in the attic and someday I am going to have to do the same..it's going to break my heart but it's a reality check.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now that we are slowly getting rid of stuff in our home, he suddenly last week went up into the attic and took down all the train boxes. He said a guy who owns an automotive shop had a sign up that he buys Lionel Trains and since there was no way we could fit all these boxes into our SUV (yes- THAT many boxes) he would come to our house to see what we have. Last night my husband let them go for $200!

When I read this, the MindTube video that rolled through my brain featured someone buying one of the Lionel sets from the automotive shop and surprising their grandchild with it at Christmas. They set it up and run it around the tree, and it is 1950-something all over again. Time travel is a wonderful thing.

Last edited:

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
our beanie babies made great dog toys-lol!
I constantly try to purge. I am a saver and THIS is the year to declutter....
For my kids/grandkids, I am saving legos, Thomas the Trains (still need to go thru and get the ones with lead paint out), American Girls Dolls, a dollhouse from when I was 12 (which can double as a Chester draws), and a few Build A Bears with outfits. This is what grandma's house will have to play with or kids can give them to their kids. I save a few items each year of the kids' school/art work.
I will save all of the kids trophies, Boy Scout stuff and they can decide when they are adults if they want to keep it.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
I'm guessing that since your husband is 61 that the trains were plastic, and probably the Santa Fe A&B engine units. Those plastic trains from the 50's are very common, and worth about what you got. The valuable trains are the metal ones from decades earlier than the 50's.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I'm guessing that since your husband is 61 that the trains were plastic, and probably the Santa Fe A&B engine units. Those plastic trains from the 50's are very common, and worth about what you got. The valuable trains are the metal ones from decades earlier than the 50's.

Some were plastic, some were metal.