• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HRC presentation, takeaways and questions

GMan82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara, a Hilton Grand Vacations Club
West 57th by Hilton Club
you have to get used to using the points from a year ahead - for example the week 49 reservation should be made with the prior years points as soon as you can. For example the week 48 2021 use year points come available in week 48 2020 (in just a few weeks)
I see. I guess that does make sense, but I wanted to confirm.

I am going through a long thread right now titled “Hyatt Portfolio Points Program.” Lots of gold in there regarding what a mess the program is. At HGVC, the entire system is a points-based program, where we can reserve our deeded week and specific unit type at 12-9 months prior to the week. If we make a points reservation elsewhere that privilege is forfeit for home week reservation. Tbh, why doesn’t HRC just grandfather everyone into the HPP and give deeded owners the option of booking their week at some advance window before effectively switching to points? I like the way HGVC seems to work in that regard. In all honesty, that’s kind of what the legacy program sounds like, but then they went ahead and complicated things with 2 competing “clubs.”

Luvscoffee

Reaction score
Hi! My husband and I sat through this presentation in March in Key West and our experience was the same as yours in regard to the offer. We did not own any timeshares at the time but have sat through a couple DVC presentations. We went in with the mindset that we were not buying anything, however, our salesman did a great job of selling and we walked out an owner.

Thankfully, we quickly came to our senses and cancelled the purchase. We’re chalking it up to a great learning experience! Fast forward a few months and after researching resales we were able to find a good resale price for a diamond week unit at BH ($4,500). We chose BH because we love Key West, have stayed at BH a couple times and really like it there. So, worst case scenario if we can’t book into another property, we get to stay at a place we love.

In regard to II, the jury is still out - when I’ve looked for exchanges, availability seems dicey. I admittedly need to learn more about this system and since our youngest is graduating this year we’ll be able to travel when we want (January/February and in the Fall)and not according to a school calendar (yay!). This should be a good advantage for exchanges if we go that route. My husband is a nurse so we have to plan out most vacations a over a year in advance so he can request his time off. He has some flexibility for off peak times given his seniority so we’re hopeful that we will be able to fit in at least one other last minute vacation a year. Bottom line, buying resale into HRC was a good fit for our new lifestyle post school aged kids. :)

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
...Question to see if I understand this correctly. When I have a week, say 48, at the 12-month Mark, the HRPP opens. I can also deposit right away into CUP. At that point, I have to book anytime within that 12 month period right? I can’t use my points and make a reservation for week 49 at a different resort without it being a LCUP use of points, even if booked during CUP?....
Just for clarification, when you receive next year's "new" points, just consider those points as CUP. All options are available to use those points. As an important feature you have the exclusive right to occupy your owned unit/week. This is the HRPP period and lasts for 6 months. If you use any of those points during that first 6 months, your exclusive HRPP option automatically ends. You DO NOT need to take any action to "deposit HRPP points to CUP". The only action during that 6-month timeframe, if you desire, is to confirm you will use your owned unit/week.

skimeup

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Inn at the Opera, Grand;view for RCI points - 196000 , Hyatt Carmel, Hyatt Sedona
I bought into HRC Carmel, week 48 - 1880 points - three years ago and have learned quite a lot since then. I live in Los Angeles and my brother and sil live in The Villages (FL). We try to do a trip together every year or two now that we are all retired.

The first year I owned, they really loved the idea of heading to Key West - during prime time. My Carmel time was worth 1880 points so I made reservations for some time using my points and for some time through the Hyatt Hotel for the two br at Beach House. They wanted to spend 8 days, so I would not have had enough points anyhow for the whole thing. Being retired, I have time to go online and monitor availability and about a month before we were due at BH, my new points were in and there began to be some 2 - 3 day stays. I was able to reserve those and change the hotel reservations. I finally ended up with all 8 days paid for with points. It was composed of some four different reservations strung together, so I had to pay an additional $41 per reservation. BUT, since they strung every res together and it was a full week + we did not pay a housekeeping fee. We actually like being a ways out of town, as for whatever reason, in mid-January there was a pretty rowdy crowd in town. And I think some small cruise ships land there.

The following year, I wanted to visit my own unit but I would have had to reserve at least four day midweek or three day weekend in order to get into my own place (1140 points) (2nd floor br, ocen view), and I really wanted to have enough points left to stay in Aspen in the summer, for the music festival. So decided to give that up because the three day weekend would have been about the same, since Saturday night points are higher in all HRC.

First, Aspen. Sunday - Saturday studio: 450 points. Saturday night 260. It is a gorgeous property, feet from the gondola but for summer, easy walking distance to much of town and across the street from the bus station for travel to festival sites etc. I did enter waiting list desires. Turned out I needed to request each day as a one day, additionally two day, three day, etc reservations starting on different days of the week. What a pain! HOWEVER, every request came up and I managed to reserve 8 days, This time, however, I paid about 5 reservation fees at $41 each. Still ending up with eight days at the music festival for about $1000. It did take a lot of putzing with the reservation system. I bring this up also because the one and two day portfolio reservations started showing up pretty much right after I was six months out from my desired times. (Of course, the bad news was the whole thing was canceled due to COVID.)

On a far less time consuming note, I do check the tug list for amazing listings that a couple of people religiously post. I did land two weeks in Boston Marriott Pulse and one week in DC (Mayflower Autograph), both of which were amazing, through II for less than the cost of one year's MF. In terms of points in II, it is a bit annoying that one must deposit no more than four months out from the deeded week and also annoying that the points are good for only two years.

I insert this lengthy post to note that with due diligence, the system can be maneuvered to your advantage - and for less money than HRPP. And on another note, I had to speak with a gal from II about something and she told me she had never seen Marriott Boston or DC ever show up in any manual search she did for someone. So there is a good advantage in trading power for the HRC association with MVC and II.

Finally, I got two lovely weeks through the Resort Accommodation Certificates - 2BR Marriott and Worldmark I am guessing that is due to fewer people traveling due to COVID.

I just was given (free) a two year membership in RCI through my Royal Holiday membership. I don't know RCI at all and will be checking those resort dump pages to see if there are any exciting resorts showing up there!

liongate88

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC (AUL), WKV, SVV, HGVC (BLVD, GW, Elara), HRC , WM
I am also considering HRC. I am just wondering how difficult it is to get Hyatt Maui resort, what months are likely you will get it even with request or it is “really” impossible to get it? Thanks

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am also considering HRC. I am just wondering how difficult it is to get Hyatt Maui resort, what months are likely you will get it even with request or it is “really” impossible to get it? Thanks

when it was brand new, just a few years ago, it was tough to get because there was not much inventory in the system. The developers did not dump unsold units into the system. Prior to Covid, things were loosening up, inventory was coming into the system, and you could get a week during the slower times (a little late spring and mid-fall, when kids are in school)... busy times (summer and holidays, when kids are out of school) I did not see much inventory to trade into. Then COVID hit, and there is lots of availability. My guess is once COVID is no longer a factor the availability will swing back to that late spring / mid-fall and not so much during the busy times.

liongate88

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC (AUL), WKV, SVV, HGVC (BLVD, GW, Elara), HRC , WM
Thanks! Looks like there is still hope, not entirely impossible.

ArizonaHPP

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HPP / HPC - new Hyatt points program and HGVC in Florida.
Hi all -
New here, but have been a TUG fan (and lurker) for years. Recently, (late December 2020) I decided to purchase the new Hyatt HPP / HPC points program with 1,000 points at a “COVID” rate of $16,010, not including closing costs of $540. Incentives include 100k WOH points and 1 Week in a 2BR (Interval).

I like the flexibility of the points program and our usage will mostly be in Carmel and Sedona. Should I be concerned with HPP inventory in these two locations?

Also, sales rep told me the Interval Resort Accommodations Certificate can be extended beyond the September 2021 expiration date (up to 2 years from HPP purchase date). I was also told I can use the certificate for Hawaii.

What concerns should I have given the above? Appreciate all feedback!

Thanks in advance.

Hi everyone,
I’m here visiting from the HGVC forums. I happen to be in Key West and opted to stay in the HRC Beach House via the Hyatt hotel site. It’s me and 3 other people, and the price for the 2 bed suite was too good to pass up. Anyway, they offered me a chance to sit through a presentation for $150 in gift vouchers to the cool restaurants / activities here, and access to the HRC membership discounts while I’m a guest.

I thought I’d post my experience here to see if it is what most would expect, as well as what they offered to sell me. I also had a question, as their Portfolio program is what they pushed on me.

Anyway, I’m not an owner, but in the interview at the beginning, I let them know I’m a HGVC owner. I had bought retail, but never again will I make that mistake. I discovered TUG too late, and not in time to rescind. That being said I’ve made use of the program, am in a unique position to afford it without major damage, and genuinely enjoy the resorts and the travel opportunities that opened up.

The salesman was this nice elderly man who didn’t seem to pressure me. He seemed very interested in his job and seemed to like the program. Truth being told, I loved a lot of what he mentioned when he described it to me.

He described the portfolio program where we buy 2200 points in this REIT that lets us use the points anywhere in the portfolio. I love that you can do single nights if you want, the lack of reservation fees, and the automatic rollover for up to 4 years. Hilton doesn’t have those aspects. Access to II is also a plus vs RCI. He mentioned that if I were to buy resale, I wouldn’t have access to the Portfolio and would instead be obligated to my fixed week. They mentioned this Beyond program to use points for cruises and other options. They really pressed II. They also really emphasized the “Saturday night savings” of 40% if you opt to not stay Saturday night at a resort. They also brought up small luxury hotels etc and how I could use my points and covert to WOH to stay at those places. Not the greatest deal, I know, but still a perk they advertise. They did bring up their version of elite status too, starting at 2201 points, existing in tiers.

As far as pricing, they presented the original which was about $21/pt and the the covid discount to $14ish per point. About $32k for 2200 point week, with initially 150k WOH points, upgraded to 225k points. They’d take my hotel reservation and apply to the cost. Maintenance fees about $0.89 per point, implying that you pay fees based on how many points you own rather than the actual unit. They said that would be going up to about $1 in Jan and that they want to revert the sales from $15ish back to $22ish per point. They did also present a 1320 point option, with the covid discount being about $17ish per point.

All things said and done, I almost caved. The locations complement HGVC so well. I was particularly interested in the Sedona, Key West, and Carmel locations as I don’t have those in HGVC. They offered me at the end $1295 for 5 days and 4 nights in Key West, which would be $995 in off season. They would preserve the $21/pp price level. I passed. My gift was 3 x $50 gift vouchers for use at a list of places, including nice restaurants.

I think I’m sure of this answer, but did I do the right thing in passing on this “deal”? They were so very convincing with the program.

Is there truly no benefit to buying resale? They said I wouldn’t have access to the portfolio program and would need to do fixed week only.

Is the program really as flexible as they made it seem? There is no difficulty in obtaining reservations? It’s easy to get exchanges through Interval?

They told me the Legacy system’s units also don’t impact availability in the points portfolio.

Is Marriott really going to keep out of HRC even though they own HRC now?

I told myself I would never buy retail again, but they made this deal sound just too great. Hence my long post and question to the experienced folks here at HRC.

Thanks all.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
HPP has zero resale value. You would be much better off purchasing a resale week.

alameda94501

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi all -
New here, but have been a TUG fan (and lurker) for years. Recently, (late December 2020) I decided to purchase the new Hyatt HPP / HPC points program with 1,000 points at a “COVID” rate of $16,010, not including closing costs of $540. Incentives include 100k WOH points and 1 Week in a 2BR (Interval).

I like the flexibility of the points program and our usage will mostly be in Carmel and Sedona. Should I be concerned with HPP inventory in these two locations?

Also, sales rep told me the Interval Resort Accommodations Certificate can be extended beyond the September 2021 expiration date (up to 2 years from HPP purchase date). I was also told I can use the certificate for Hawaii.

Thanks in advance.

As you likely know from lurking here, there's very little that benefits a developer purchase over a resale purchase. Best to rescind.

1,000 pts just doesn't go far. With legacy you could purchase resale weeks for 4,000-6,000 pts based on the dollar amount you bought from the developer, and with nearly the same inventory at Carmel and identical inventory at Sedona.

socaltimeshare

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interval Resort Accommodations Certificate can be extended beyond the September 2021 expiration date (up to 2 years from HPP purchase date). I was also told I can use the certificate for Hawaii

As a deeded week owner, I’ve been given for free resort accommodation certificates. They just keep showing up in my account. The one currently in my account is valid through May 30, and technically can be used in Hawaii because in the month of January there is availability in Kauai (but not other islands or other months). Also, my certificate is for up to 3 bedrooms, but all that is available in Kauai is 1 bedroom and studio timeshares.

YMMV but I don’t see this as a strong incentive.

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi all -

Thanks in advance.

First, WELCOME TO TUG!

Second, pull the docs you signed right now and find out if you are still in the recision period. Even if you are out of the recision period, you might be able to rescind because of the holidays, find out. Seriously, we will be here after you rescind to discuss all the different ways you can buy and use a deeded unit week more efficiently than the HPP.

Really, rescind ASAP.

socaltimeshare

TUG Member
Reaction score

Not considering HPP, I feel both of these properties have good internal trading availability in HRC. So get any re-sale deeded week in HRC then trade for the Sedona or Carmel week you want. You will save in initial purchase cost, you will save in annual maintenance fees (HPP is generally a higher cost per point), and re-sale will be better.

If you want the Hyatt 100K WOH points, just open up two WOH credit card accounts ( you and a significant other) since each account would have a 50k welcome bonus.

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
1,000 points at a “COVID” rate of $16,010, not including closing costs of $540. Incentives include 100k WOH points and 1 Week in a 2BR (Interval).

Yes, I would be very concerned. 1k points will only get you 3-4 nights in a HRC reservation. To maximize the points and get 5 nights it would need to be a PPP reservation, and there are not a lot of those. You will have VERY little choice so be VERY flexible.

Point cost is season dependent so there may be some outlier weeks where you can do better.

Realize there are people who are buying WEEKS for $6-7k who get 2200 points.