• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HRC Maui-Renter ?

cvmar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am not sure if I should have posted in the Covid-19 cancellation thread as I am a renter. I booked with an owner with an arrival date of 5/2/20. My Hawaiian Airlines flight has been cancelled as have most all of them through 5/20/20. I have requested a date change and gave multiple dates in the Fall of this year starting with 10/31 and ending with 12/12 however I received below reply in bold from the owner today. Since I am not an owner and not all owners are aware of all the options available to them I am looking for help for me and the owner. I understand there is another person on the other end of this transaction but to lose everything but $500 will mean no Hawaii trip for us for years to come. Any help will be appreciated as to any options this owner has in helping us both out. Thank you!
As per my rental, unfortunately I am not able to reschedule this booking for another week as this is a fixed week timeshare.
I did call Hyatt to see how flexible they could be.
As per the Hyatt, we would need to cancel the current reservation and then they would return our points but on a restricted basis
Hawaii is fully booked with no open weeks.
We can do nothing with these points personally, so we are at a total loss.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
The owner will get back restricted points which can be used to reserve another week, but only 60 days out. Currently, there is no availability beyond May. Within 60 days, it is only realistically possible to reserve low season like September, and availability is likely to appear last minute only.

IslandTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset Harbor
I feel for both you and the owner. We own at Hyatt Sunset Harbor and put in a waitlist request a year ago for Maui with an arrival date of 4/4 (yep, next week). It finally came through in October and I was over the moon, couldn't believe my good fortune. Obviously there is no way we can travel next week - 1) because I'm not a crazy person, 2) nothing is open (nor should it be) and 3) because anyone arriving there starting tomorrow must go on quarantine for 14 days. We're booked on American and they have not yet cancelled our flight. As it stands right now, I'll have to cancel our week and as said above, my points will be restricted. No way do I think we'll be able to get into Maui with restricted points.

cvmar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to trade into another NON Hyatt property on Maui? Any chance Hyatt will relent on restricted points due to the current state of affairs and offer owners other options. I'm trying not to lose $3,500 which is a lot of $ to me. This is the first time I have ever spent this much for a week in Maui and now to think I won't be able to get there again for several years is depressing.

ivywag

TUG Member
Reaction score
In addition to the above, per HRC regulations the owner is not permitted to rent out any week other than the fixed week that he owns. If he uses CUP or RCUP to book for another time, he can't rent it out (even if he could find a week available to book.) Hyatt corporate might be able to make an exception under the current circumstances if there were any availability, but it's going to be difficult this year because all of those who had to cancel during the coronavirus AND all of the Hacienda Del Mar owners will be trying to rebook any available units. Strange times!!!

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not involved in either side of any rental transaction. The way I look at it is someone is going to lose. If there is a provision in the rental contract which address the situation, follow the contract. If not, there is going to be a winner and a loser. IMO just move on with the loser being the party that doesn't hold the cash...

George

cvmar

TUG Member
Reaction score
My cash is in some type of escrow account with Redweek. The owner doesn't get it until the day after I check in. I really believe some compassion needs to be considered by both sides and in fairness I feel it should be split 50/50. That is what I would do as an owner under the same circumstances. But we all have a different moral compass. I'll put forth my request to the owner and see what happens. Lesson learned.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
My cash is in some type of escrow account with Redweek. The owner doesn't get it until the day after I check in. I really believe some compassion needs to be considered by both sides and in fairness I feel it should be split 50/50. That is what I would do as an owner under the same circumstances. But we all have a different moral compass. I'll put forth my request to the owner and see what happens. Lesson learned.
Sounds like Redweek full service. Are you working through Redweek or directly with the owner?

And not to sound harsh, but this is why Redweek and just about any other company one would buy through recommends buying trip insurance. If $3500 is a lot to lose, the few hundred on trip insurance would have been well worth it. I understand this is an unforeseen event, but that is what trip insurance is meant to cover.

The owner could offer up the restricted points to be able to be used by you at another resort in the Hyatt system, it may not be ideal, but it gets you something for your $3500.

cvmar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Regarding trip insurance my thought was if something happened to my me or my husband then my son and his girlfriend could still use the unit as they were traveling with us. Could never have imagined a deadly worldwide pandemic would strike us all. From what I have been reading a lot of people that purchased trip insurance are having issues collecting even those with cancel for any reason insurance. Seems as if the Hyatt is not stepping up and taking care of it's owners during such a catastrophic event compared to the Marriott. I'll make a request for 50/50 to the owner if that is a no then I am going to contact my CC company for my options. Thanks for the replies. I just thought maybe there was a way out for both of us. Guess not.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Regarding trip insurance my thought was if something happened to my me or my husband then my son and his girlfriend could still use the unit as they were traveling with us. Could never have imagined a deadly worldwide pandemic would strike us all. From what I have been reading a lot of people that purchased trip insurance are having issues collecting even those with cancel for any reason insurance. Seems as if the Hyatt is not stepping up and taking care of it's owners during such a catastrophic event compared to the Marriott. I'll make a request for 50/50 to the owner if that is a no then I am going to contact my CC company for my options. Thanks for the replies. I just thought maybe there was a way out for both of us. Guess not.
Unfortunately with a fixed week, the owner doesn't have a lot of options. The option seems to be the 60 day restricted points. It is possible that Hyatt will go the way that the other brands under Marriott Vacations Worldwide are going. That being that they would be restricted to 120 days and possibly valid through December 2021. Hawaii will still be a tough target even with those restrictions.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
The owner needs to call Hyatt and see if Hyatt will return points unrestricted. Especially since Hawaii is basically closed to visitors. Hyatt has been reasonable

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder what Redweeks.com is saying to renters where the rental agreement specifies 100% non-refundable conditions? No doubt redweeks is simply a pass-thru and would not try to provide some level of rebate to the renter using redweeks own funds? In that situation, I wonder if the renter even tries to work out some level of refund?

Norcal5

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think Hyatt should overlook rental of a points booking in this situation, and I really think they will. Contact the owner again, and ask him or her what the RCUP expiration date is. Let us know and I will PM you when I see an option for an opening that will work with whatever that expiration date is, which most likely is late November, requiring booking by late September, and possibly until Dec. 2021, if any become available. At this point, since by contract you don’t own the week anymore, it’s a done deal and you are the loser, this would be a gift from the owner to you, in my opinion, a totally separate event.

GTLINZ

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree that the owner is in a bind (as I am with many of my returned points).

I also agree with others in saying that the best option is to try and spend the returned points within the stated restrictions (assuming the owner will do this, which it sounds like he would) . The points should be in RCUP (restricted club use period) since the cancellation is less than 60 days before check in. I am also pretty sure Hyatt is extending RCUP points thru the end of 2021 (per the website). But as previously stated you can only book 60 days in advance per the restrictions.

So I would suggest you consider other locations and be willing to travel off season and the owner should be able to find you another alternative before the end of 2021. Hawaii will be very tough - Key West is pretty nice in May, Nov and Dec. There is also Carmel, Sedona, Lake Tahoe, San Antonio, Bonita Springs and Colorado in play.

Then there is the question of who pays the reservation and guest certificate fees for the new reservation. But it would be worth getting something back even if you paid them (approx $75). You may also be able to book more than one trip out of this if you only find partial weeks or have extra points due to booking low season.

You can find the Hyatt points chart (and learn all things Hyatt) at this following great website created by a Hyatt owner Kal. The points chart would give you a feel for how many points are involved and how to use the returned points.

Good luck and hopefully you can make lemonaid out of these lemons.

Colorado Ski

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt pinon pointe
I to was lucky to land springbreak March 21 this year, of course I had all flights booked. I had received the unit by being on a waitlist, my points used were virtually 3 months old/Cup points....of course when I had to cancel the day before because the governor shut down visitors on the date, the Hyatt system is only offering me back points as restricted..........of course restricted points can't be used for next years springbreak waitlist.......

All I asked is if they would give me next year same week or let the points revert back to Cup points.........of course they said no......RCUP points are virtually garbage for getting into a resort during ski season or desirable times to travel

Hyatt is not following "do onto others as you would want others to do onto you" . I also just got canceled out by the Hyatt Pinon Point on my actual owned week in Sedona since the week is shut down......I paid maintenance fees for my week and they are locking me out............totally sucks and as I see it they don't care and are be a bully to the hole thing.

How can we form a protest group?

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I to was lucky to land springbreak March 21 this year, of course I had all flights booked. I had received the unit by being on a waitlist, my points used were virtually 3 months old/Cup points....of course when I had to cancel the day before because the governor shut down visitors on the date, the Hyatt system is only offering me back points as restricted..........of course restricted points can't be used for next years springbreak waitlist.......

All I asked is if they would give me next year same week or let the points revert back to Cup points.........of course they said no......RCUP points are virtually garbage for getting into a resort during ski season or desirable times to travel

Hyatt is not following "do onto others as you would want others to do onto you" . I also just got canceled out by the Hyatt Pinon Point on my actual owned week in Sedona since the week is shut down......I paid maintenance fees for my week and they are locking me out............totally sucks and as I see it they don't care and are be a bully to the hole thing.

How can we form a protest group?

My guess is Hyatt is being directed to do this by the new management company, MVC. Protesting to Hyatt won’t do any good as they are being controlled by MVC. I’m not sure of what the best way to protest to MVC is. They will not care if you don’t pay your maintenance fees as they will take your deed unit(s), file against your credit and add the deeds to their points product. Threatening a lawsuit does no good because they have a team of lawyers that need to prove their value, and have historically used the lawyers (see MVC VS Ritz Aspen, MVC VS Hyatt Aspen) to fight owners. Having hundreds of current owners post negative information to their FaceBook accounts might get their attention because it could negatively impact sales. If you can think of another way to impede sales it will get their attention as I believe that is what MVC cares the most about.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
My guess is Hyatt is being directed to do this by the new management company, MVC. Protesting to Hyatt won’t do any good as they are being controlled by MVC. I’m not sure of what the best way to protest to MVC is. They will not care if you don’t pay your maintenance fees as they will take your deed unit(s), file against your credit and add the deeds to their points product. Threatening a lawsuit does no good because they have a team of lawyers that need to prove their value, and have historically used the lawyers (see MVC VS Ritz Aspen, MVC VS Hyatt Aspen) to fight owners. Having hundreds of current owners post negative information to their FaceBook accounts might get their attention because it could negatively impact sales. If you can think of another way to impede sales it will get their attention as I believe that is what MVC cares the most about.
right now however Marriott and Westin
have a better cancelation policy, although still not great. They give you 120 days to book your restricted points where Hyatt only giives 60. If you and enough people write too them they may give the same offer of 120 Still unfair but better