• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How young is too young to attend funeral?

Pit

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've had a death in the family and facing a bit of a dilema regarding the grandchildren. So, I thought I'd tap the wisdom and experience of Tuggers.

Two boys ages 11 and 13 -- are they too young to attend their grandfather's funeral?

stevedmatt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear the news. That's never an easy issue for kids that age.

I'm assuming this is an open casket funeral. At some point, funerals are a reality they will have to face.

I personally think that as long as they are as mature as their age, it is probably as good a time as any for them to experience this.

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Son was 6

Our experience.
My son and daughter were real close to their Grandparents since they only lived down the street from us. They watched the kids every day while we worked. Grandmother passed away when son was 11, daughter was older.
To this day my son would say how glad he was to go and see her (open casket).
I had a rough time because so much of what was said was about my son and being Grandma's boy. I had tears running down my face hearing about everything.
Bart

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
My grandmother's funeral was when I was 21 was from her house. I was asked to take my cousins and younger siblings with me while they brought the body and casket to set up for the viewing the date before the services. I went shoe shopping and explained to 5 cousins/siblings 3-12 yo that when we got back to house that their parents would be upset (possibly crying) and that the living room door would be closed because Mom-Mom would be back there in a casket. She would look a little different, be laying there with her eyes closed. As she was now gone and looking down, she could only hear you but not talk with you. You could touch her hand but it would feel different. She would be in a casket which had a lid and would be here for 2 days before going to the cementry. Then we would not see her until we were older. I told them they did NOT have to go into the living room if they did not want to.

When we got back, everything had been set up. The 3 sets of parents did the 'they are back, what do we say', but the kids immediately had questions thrown to their parents like "Is MomMom in the LR? Can we see her? How big is the casket". Each kid did approach the casket in their own time, said Hi, and a several touch her hand.

As adults and at numerous other family funerals over the last several decades, they all come and are a comforatable today as they were then. My sister who was 10 has brought her 3 sons to funerals of their grandparents and a great aunt and burials which happened when they were younger than 11.

My sister 2 years younger than me did not bring her kids to her parents' funerals. When her 2 daughters' visited me several years ago (18 & 21), they asked if I could take them to the cementry - as multiple generations of family members are buried there. The 18 yo stated she would never go to a funeral as it was creapy.

Have a conversation with the kids. Let them decide about the viewing and then about the funeral and then the burial.

sstamm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Depending on their maturity, I think it would probably be perfectly appropriate for them to attend the funeral. I would prepare them ahead of time so they know what to expect.

If there is to be an open casket, you may want to consider giving them the option of not approaching the casket. In talking with my children before the first funeral they attended, that seemed to be what they felt nervous about. Giving them the option not to approach the casket eased their anxiety.

I'm sorry for your loss.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
My personal opinion is that it is never too early to introduce children to funerals and the reality of death. I remember going to funerals and viewings at a very young age (5 years). It is important to talk to you children so they know what to expect.

Recently we lost both of my grandmothers, my brother did not bring his young children to either funeral. To each their own.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Our kids were 8, 5, 3 and 1 for their first family funeral. The youngest don't remember anything. It was not traumatic. The oldest that day drew pictures of grandpa (in the casket). Gave one to every relative family there. It was a precious thing to do and touched everyone. No trauma, no 'creepy.' It was his way to deal with the sadness and strangeness and he came out whole.

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
When my parents passed away, we just did memorial services for them and my kids went. My eldest was just 4 when my dad died, he was 6 and the other 18 months when my mom died. They just sat, then played around with their cousins after.

This past summer, my MIL passed away. She had the whole dog and pony show, viewing at the funeral home, over to church for the Mass and then off to the cemetary. Boys were 13 and 8, and yes they went. I didn't make them look at the open casket, but they went over to say good bye on their own on the 2nd day.

My mom and grandmother used to drag me at a very young age to funeral homes. While I was not forced to look at the body, I vividly remember grandmother and all the old biddies commenting on the undertakers work(good job, looks like they are sleeping, etc). All the men being in a community room watching football on tv, meeting 3rd cousins. And I remember doing this more than once.

I'm debating taking them to my aunt's memorial service this spring(going to bury her ashes back here in OH). I don't know if I want to deal with them and my sister at the same time.

klynn

TUG Member
Reaction score
My MIL passed when my kids were 2 and 6. Exactly one month after the funeral for my MIL, my Dad passed. My kids went to both funerals. I never considered not having them go to the funerals. They did just fine. I guess it depends on the situation with your grandchildren.

janej

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
My son's 6th grade teacher Mrs. Rohlfs passed away in February 2008. She was a wonderful teacher. All her students were invited to her funeral. I took my son and two of his friends. They all did well. I am glad they went and got a chance to say good-bye and hear many stories of their beloved teacher. Most of the 6th grader classes were there along with many of her older students.

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
My mother passed away in December - just a couple weeks before my granddaughter's 11th birthday. I didn't even think of excluding her. She is a part of the family and needed to be with us. She wore a Christmas pin that belonged to Grandma and did wonderfully.

Deb

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I attneded my grandmothers funeral when I was 10. I'm glad that I did and, if I hadn't gone, I would have fealt cheated out of my chance to say goodbye.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Sorry for your loss. I came from a large family, and remember attending funerals since before elementary school. I would talk to your boys, but I bet they would want to attend.

My grandfather died when I was 14, and I along with several of my other teen-aged cousins were the pallbearers. We all felt very honored and I will always remember that day.

Kurt

geekette

Reaction score
I'm pleased for them that they got this far without funerals!

one of my earliest childhood memories is a funeral. I remember being at the casket and remember her pink dress and pearls. Aunt Laurel. I have no memories of her other than that one.

My maternal grandmother was one of 11 children, so funerals have always been part of my life. I do not believe I am impacted negatively by having had that experience. In fact, it's made it easier to deal with others I've lost along the way that were too young. Death is the only sure thing about life. knowing the truth sooner rather than later is not a bad thing.

I actually feel sorry for those that don't learn how to deal with it until their 20s. It's not easy, not the first time, not the 30th, but at least the coping mechanisms get better.

Most importantly tho, I would not keep my kids from having the closure that a funeral brings, especially a grandparent that they certainly knew and loved.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
We always asked the children what they wanted to do.

Pit

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all for your input and for sharing your personal stories. My initial feeling was that the kids should attend the funeral, but I had some doubts. You have confirmed my inital instinct and given me some good ideas for preparing them in advance. Thanks again for the feedback and kind words.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
When my Mom died last summer, all of her great-grandchildren were at the funeral and the interment. In fact at the interment, each of the grandchildren came forward and placed a yellow rose on the casket.

Their ages ranged from 5 years to 14 years.

++++++++

My first funeral was the funeral of my grandmother. I was six years old. I remember nothing of it.

+++++

My personal belief is that in our culture we have an unhealthy fear or disdain of death. One of the ways this disdain is manifest is the feeling that children need to be protected from matters regarding death.

If you believe that death is simply a normal component of existence on earth I can't think of a single reason why children should be shielded from it.

I'm not saying one should be blase about someone's passing; mourning is necessary and needful, nor am I referring to violent or sudden tragic deaths. Those are situations that need to be handled with understanding and care.

But with a "normal" death, after a time of illness and especially of an elderly relative, I think the children should absolutely be involved in whatever memorial or funeral arrangements are conducted by and for friends and loved ones. Because if you don't do so, you are inevitably sending a message that death is scary and fearful and something to be dreaded and awful.

+++++++

I should also add that DW's side of the family does not believe in embalming, caskets, funerals, etc. I am fully with them on that matter. We have memorial services. We have small gatherings where we manage the ashes in whatever ways have been decided.

++++

[added note re young children at services]:

To me the question of children at funeral situations is really a matter of how well they might be able to sit still or behave during the event. I don't think it's a good idea to take a four-year old child to a one-hour funeral service, where they will have no awareness of what is going on and where it will be almost impossible for them to sit still for an hour. Or, if they do attend, it should be like a church service where space is available on the rear or side and a parent and child can make a quick and easy exit if necessary.

But that is a matter of being courteous to other attendees, and not a matter of shielding the children from the experience.

As I think back more on my mother's funeral, I remember that my nieces and nephews with small children made child care arrangements for the funeral service, then they brought the children to the cemetery for the internment. At the interment they remained in the back, circulating away from the service as needed, up to the point at the end of the service when the roses were laid on the casket.

Last edited:

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
My personal belief is that in our culture we have an unhealthy fear or disdain of death. One of the ways this disdain is manifest is the feeling that children need to be protected from matters regarding death.

If you believe that death is simply a normal component of existence on earth I can't think of a single reason why children should be shielded from it.

I'm not saying one should be blase about someone's passing; mourning is necessary and needful, nor am I referring to violent or sudden tragic deaths. Those are situations that need to be handled with understanding and care.

But with a "normal" death, after a time of illness and especially of an elderly relative, I think the children should absolutely be involved in whatever memorial or funeral arrangements are conducted by and for friends and loved ones. Because if you don't do so, you are inevitably sending a message that death is scary and fearful and something to be dreaded and awful.

I think this is very well put and I agree with this sentiment.

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I agree. A funeral, and even the open casket, can be a relief. If the children have never experienced death, what they are imagining as a "dead body" may be much more unsettling than the reality is. After seeing my mother in the hospital and knowing the pain she was in, the "body at rest" was a much better image than the previous hospital ones.

CMF

TUG Member
Reaction score
My kids were absolute champs earlier this year when my mom passed away. The service was a bit longish and the fidgeting was minimal. The youngest is five and the oldest just turned eight. No trauma at all.

Charles

charford

TUG Member
Reaction score
I remember being 3 when my grandfather died. I was so disappointed that I was NOT taken to the funeral. I never got over not having the chance to say goodbye.

My father died when my oldest was 4. There was an open casket, and ds looked and touched his grandfather. They were very close. DS4 sat in the first row at the funeral home. He was normally a very fidgety kid, but he did just fine. He absolutely knew what was going on.

My dh died. The kids were 10, 7 and 5 months. All three sat in the first row. All did fine.

IMO, these rituals are important to mark the passing of a loved one. If a child isn't taken, they are not given a chance to say goodbye.

Rob&Carol Q

Reaction score
I have always included my kids. Truthfully, there is no better affirmation that a life was well lived that a ton of Grandkids and/or Great Grandkids. Even better if they are relatively well behaved.

Funny Story...at the visitation of my Bride's Grandfather in West Virginia many years ago...yes, crowded room, open casket, meeting folk I hadn't seen before, fairly noisy in a way that only young children can generate...my four year old daughter, after about an hour of running around and general mayhem, declared "I don't know who that man is but he is REALLY tired."

Absolute silence for a full three seconds followed by a lot of family laughter. It was the break that my In-Laws needed.

Now, some 15 years later, she still gets ribbed about it from her cousins at every family gathering. Nice memory.