• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How would you hang a blanket

Ann-Marie

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Summit @ Massunetten, Sheraton Desert Oasis
I have a soft fleece blanket with the American flag on it. I want to hang it on the wall. Any suggestions? It's about 5 ft X 7 ft.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have an old tapestry that I hang on a wall. First, I sewed a 'pocket' along the top, then slid a wood dowel from the home center through the pocket, extending an inch or so beyond the piece. I found some decorative finials for the ends and hung it from u-shaped drapery brackets. No sag, no bag, only 2 holes in the wall near the ceiling.

Jim

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
What Jim said - I have done exactly the same thing.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Using a compression quilt hanger (like this one) is the best, because you don't need to modify the blanket in any way.

Kurt

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pretty nice, and not a bad price either. I like the pocket and dowel, though because it doesn't show. Each to their own preference.

Jim

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have an old tapestry that I hang on a wall. First, I sewed a 'pocket' along the top, then slid a wood dowel from the home center through the pocket, extending an inch or so beyond the piece. I found some decorative finials for the ends and hung it from u-shaped drapery brackets. No sag, no bag, only 2 holes in the wall near the ceiling.

Jim

Precisely! I have a handmade Amish quilt hanging in just that way. And though sewing the pocket along the back of the top was somewhat of a modification, I basted it on with very long stitches, and am sure it can be removed with no evidence.

I hung a different Amish quilt by using Velcro - put the crunchy side on the wall, and the softer side on the quilt. I think i only did the four corners and a few extras along the top to prevent sag. It was a long time ago, but I believe I attached the wall pieces with a thin nail, and the pieces on the back of the quilt with a very few hand stitches.

Last edited:

Ann-Marie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the suggestions. I like the pocket idea. My next project!

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
EDIT -- Compression rack. Didn't get it that the whole quilt has to be unfolded while hung.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dorm room? I don't think so, but if that's your opinion, so be it. I don't want some bar of oak separating the space between the top of my tapestry and my cove ceiling. I also don't want to pinch the tapestry, hiding part of it and exposing it to the acid in any wood finish. I realize this isn't a fleece blanket, but it works for me, didn't cost much and so far has lasted the 50some years it's been in my family.

Btw, this was an item I took to a taping of Antiques Road Show. We didn't get chosen, but the appraiser said I was conserving it just fine.

Jim

tapestry1002.jpg

Last edited:

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cool tapestry! What do you know about it? Where did you get it?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cool tapestry! What do you know about it? Where did you get it?

It's handmade. We think probably in Belgium or France early in the 20th Century. We were told it's a copy of section of a larger piece that's in Cluny France, though I haven't seen the original. It depicts the biblical story of Ruth, who, it is said were the first monotheists and was the mother of Abraham. Or something like that (those more knowledgeable can correct me). You can see their names in old style Flemish on their robes. The background depicts a medieval European scene.

My Mom was an interior designer beginning in the 1940's. She had a shop and went to the market for such things every year in San Fransisco. She spotted the tapestry in an antique shop there, and wanted it. Badly. She came home and negotiated with my dad. He had always wanted a Cadillac- she wanted the tapestry. They both got what they wanted.

Jim

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought you were asking about how to orient the flag. I'm pretty sure that when it is hung that way, the stars are on top right and the stripes point down, not sideways (flag points down).

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
It depicts the biblical story of Ruth, who, it is said were the first monotheists and was the mother of Abraham. Or something like that (those more knowledgeable can correct me).
Not exactly. Abraham lived about 1,000 yrs. prior to Ruth. She was the great grandmother of King David.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not exactly. Abraham lived about 1,000 yrs. prior to Ruth. She was the great grandmother of King David.

Thanks. No bible student here.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought you were asking about how to orient the flag. I'm pretty sure that when it is hung that way, the stars are on top right and the stripes point down, not sideways (flag points down).

Here's the correct orientation of the U.S. flag from the great authority, Wikipedia:

Proper display of the US flag

When displayed either horizontally or vertically against a wall, the union should be uppermost and to the flag's own right, that is, to the observer's left. When displayed in a window, the flag should be displayed in the same way, with the union or blue field to the left of the observer in the street.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's handmade. We think probably in Belgium or France early in the 20th Century. We were told it's a copy of section of a larger piece that's in Cluny France, though I haven't seen the original. It depicts the biblical story of Ruth, who, it is said were the first monotheists and was the mother of Abraham. Or something like that (those more knowledgeable can correct me). You can see their names in old style Flemish on their robes. The background depicts a medieval European scene.

My Mom was an interior designer beginning in the 1940's. She had a shop and went to the market for such things every year in San Fransisco. She spotted the tapestry in an antique shop there, and wanted it. Badly. She came home and negotiated with my dad. He had always wanted a Cadillac- she wanted the tapestry. They both got what they wanted.

Jim

Oh, I see it now. That would be Naomi on the right, and Ruth next to her, and Orpah on the left. Long story short, Naomi (an Israelite) was the mother-in-law of Ruth and Orpah, and when her sons died, Naomi urged Ruth and Orpah to go and seek new husbands back in the lands where they had come from. Orpah turned to go, but Ruth said, "Wither thou goest I will go...for your people are my people, and your God my God." And she cast her lot with Naomi. So Ruth is considered the first "convert" to Judaism--who had been monotheists since the time of Abraham. And she went on to become the grandmother of King David.

It's a beautiful story, and this is a nice work of art--lovely workmanship, and the colors are so bold! Enjoy it!

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
And she went on to become the grandmother of King David.
Ruth married Boaz and their son was named Obed. Obed's son is Jesse, who is King David's father. Thus, Ruth is David's great grandmother.:)

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's the correct orientation of the U.S. flag from the great authority, Wikipedia:

Proper display of the US flag

When displayed either horizontally or vertically against a wall, the union should be uppermost and to the flag's own right, that is, to the observer's left. When displayed in a window, the flag should be displayed in the same way, with the union or blue field to the left of the observer in the street.

Thanks, Passepartout!

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ruth married Boaz and their son was named Obed. Obed's son is Jesse, who is King David's father. Thus, Ruth is David's great grandmother.:)

Whoops! I never get my begats right.

urban5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Cancun
I used a carpet tack strip used for wall to wall carpeting to hang fabric pieces. Remove the fastening nails and attached to wall using dry wall screws. This method probably wouldn't work with light weight or sheer fabric, but for heavier material it works great as it give continuous support over the length of the item being hung.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Using a compression quilt hanger (like this one) is the best, because you don't need to modify the blanket in any way.

Kurt

I've been looking for this online. Didn't discover this site, which has better prices. A local store can have one ordered from a craftsman for $125-150. An alternative could be the curtain rod, which I never thought of.
Thanks all for the ideas.

Ann-Marie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I went and bought blanket binding for the back. I sewed the edge to the top and am now going to get a dowel and then stitch the bottom.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I made the pocket fairly wide- maybe 3" for a 1" dowel so it wouldn't make a tight 'lump' across the top. And as PJ said just basting the pocket with long stitches is sufficient. Sorry about your thread going off on a different tangent. That happens sometimes, but I think you got the info you wanted anyway.

Have fun with it and post a picture.

Jim

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
I sewed the pocket (or tube) first, as Jim suggested, around 3" wide - 6" doubled to 3" roughly. THEN basted the tube to the blanket, a few inches down from the top edge of the blanket, and slid the rod in.

It sounds like you've already started.....but it sounds to me like it'd be kind of awkward to try to stitch with a dowel in the way. If you run into trouble the way you're doing it, try that method.

Disclaimer.....I'm not really the one who figured this out and did it, it was a good friend and former Home Ec teacher who is a TUGger :hi: :)