• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How/why/where did you decide to move if not job related?

geekette

Reaction score
welcome back - North Carolina mountains are great for summer vacations .... (and permanent homes)
and temp homes! I will probably start with a small kit cabin that will eventually enter rental pool as I build something bigger with full wiring for solar.

Vacations were definitely happening, people everywhere on our travels. The waterfall trail at South Mountain is spectacular. Strenuous is a good description for it. Worth it, too. People Are People wherever you go, so it was not shocking to see that people had gone over the fence over dicey wet rocks to sit on waterfall rocks. neither of us are into death-defying feats so just hoped no one got hurt while we were there.

"Lake Lure Beach" (I had not known there was 'a beach') had a line around the building in morning rain. When we went by later, people seem to have spaced themselves well on the beach, but a good thing they limited entry.

geekette

Reaction score
There is a compromise. We live in a semi-rural area. ... I feel like it is the best of all worlds. ... Maybe you would like semi-rural living better. I, too, could not live in a true rural area. I need to know I can drive to nearby locations for necessities and entertainment.
I am semi-rural now, and agree - best of both worlds.

Camp was far quieter than the quiet I have here - but I am near entrance of a long street so I get more traffic here and wouldn't mind less cars. I am indeed considering, will I be too far from what I want to be near? I don't seem to take advantage of what my city offers so I don't think I will miss it.

I will miss my deer family (baby born in my yard last year; they have visited me most every day of the 20 years I have been here) and the hawk family (nothing like watching their mating flights and then seeing the babies learn to hunt -- massive nest in tree in my front yard -- that tree and family may have been one of the factors that ceased the push to get us on city septic - thank you tree in great location...).

Critters are everywhere, looking for a suitable environment. The less welcoming to them you make your land, the more you can avoid their attempting to move in. I periodically get coyote urine to dissuade the very determined raccoons.

At camp, there might be bears in the area, but no sightings, no tracks. The first time I was there, I didn't sleep a wink, as it was my first "exposed" outdoor sleep and visions of all manner of undesireable creeps running through my head. this time, I left front and back doors to yurt open most all night every night (she put up some very useful mosquito netting). Nobody but light seekers bothered me.

geekette

Reaction score
I love hearing about your upcoming adventure. It is so brave of you to consider living in the camp, as you call it. Will you keep time sharing after you move? Time sharing will really be a vacation for you then and also a snap back to the outside world, depending on where you own your time shares. It will be interesting to hear how living without running water goes. Do you have electricity there or will that come with time? What about toilets?

I can relate to not wanting to tell your family about your plans yet. Sometimes I reveal too much to my family and they criticize me too. They do not understand why I travel. My father says I just get pretty photos to post. Now I am self conscious about posting so many photos because I wonder what my FB friends and family think. I used to post a lot until my father criticized me. But I am trying not to worry about what people think and starting to post more photos. I can‘t wait until this Covid thing is over and we can travel again. I did not expect this to last so long. Now thinking it could go into 2021.
I don't know about brave, but I would apply that to my friend. Few people set out to live on undeveloped land all by themselves, far from everything.

Yes to timesharing. It will indeed be like plush living! I am taking her to Myrtle Beach in Oct, 2 br, 2 ba, full laundry. It will be culture shock for her!! It will be good to bail out periodically in a days of rain situation to indoor living with full amenities.

Toilets are currently composting toilets. Literally a bucket with a toilet seat, then cover your stuff with sawdust. That empties a couple times a week into main compost area. In the full bathroom she built, the bucket is hidden, a great normal toilet seat on top. Shower is solar, the 5 gallon bags are less shower than I would normally want, but enough to do the job. If it is not sufficiently warm or sunny, water can be heated on a propane stove to add hot water.

No electricity. No hookup to grid planned, although one of the potential homesteaders thinks it would be easier to hook in first, and solar later. I don't think so, it would be thousands for that hook up, and then whatever $ to set up solar.

Right now, she has 2 solar panels and 5 portable batteries. I was not a heavy user of lights nor plug in for gadgets so I didn't have to charge them but once over a 2 week stay. Because there are many modern conveniences I will want, my investment in solar will be much larger than hers, but, I can get by on the portable battery method for quite a while. She'd like to build a main solar collection site that could be hooked into from the various buildings. But, 30 acres, that would be a lot of wiring. My eventual home will be fully solar, wired in. Before that, I am likely to pop for a solar fridge (around $1200).

Water is currently coming from church next door that lets her use their outdoor spigot. We made several fill up trips for mostly one gallon jugs but a few larger. She then has pretty water dispensers at sinks that get refilled. Buckets under the sinks collect that water that either goes onto compost pile or the 'mushroom logs' (pre-spored, waiting on mushrooms to take off). So, most every product needs to be earth friendly - soap, shampoo, etc. Trash is either garbage or compost, have to take stuff to the dump.

I'm sorry you would get criticized for posting pics! I don't get why some people jump to ridiculous stuff like you only travel to post pics?!?! My sister accused me of "running away from my life" when we first started timesharing. Seriously??? Like I don't deserve vacations??
I'm good with people having their own thoughts on whatever, but I draw the line where they decide that what I'm doing is wrong or foolish or whatever. myob. made easier by not revealing my business. I told no one I was leaving town. No one was looking for me so that was easy.

I get that it is unusual to go join someone building a camp. Live there without modern conveniences for a while. But, it suits me, even if it would not suit masses of others. Including my family. Long ago, before Asheville became the booming metropolis it is now, I wanted a cabin in the mountains above it. Weird to have these notions from the past zoom forward to where I can actually have a cabin in the mountains. I can have everything I need immediately, and eventually have everything I want, what I have here, as we invest in it or build it. I have no idea how much solar battery my little oven would use, but I am keen on finding out. Ditto my portable washer/dryer.

We are not sure if we'll need multiple wells, multiple septic systems... it's going to depend on how close our eventual Homes go vs the rentals we're currently standing up that will remain 'primitive'. Running water is high on my list in order to remove the water hauling chore. We could buy a storage tank and hire a water truck every so often, but, I'd rather tap some of the springs and channel those to storage tanks. There could eventually be many storage tanks. So much not yet known, but, for me, that's part of the charm - I like being there Early, being part of it all taking shape. The teepee "riverside" will likely have a water collection tank filled with spring water. That would be ideal, as the water hauling up and down a hill is not something we want to deal with long term, even with a hardy ATV. Would of course stock their kitchen with bottled water for drinking, as it will be a while before we can ensure potable spring water.

I plan to make a rain collection system to feed veggie garden. It would be best to have a soaker hose as part of the garden and just turn the spigot when it needs drinkie.

Covid has put all of us off our game. For whatever reason, that makes the off grid living even more palatable. My expenses will be food, fuel, building supplies and entertainment. Cheap and easy. I think it will take 2 years to start building my actual home. I don't yet know if that is kit or Amish labor (they stood up a great workshop with loft for her since I was there last - it is good to have super handy neighbors that work for reasonable rates - that workshop + loft cost her 800 total).

I found a way to make my premature exit from the rat race affordable. If I can forever more avoid having A Job, I would be very happy. It will be up to me to extract $ from what we do there, so, like always, work for pay, just in a very different way. I would rather sweat and get dirty every day vs long boring conference calls or ridiculously shifting deadlines and requirements. Hauling produce to a farmer's market sounds like fun to me. That would be after my greenhouse is built, massive expansion of garden space, and rain collection system to keep them fed. Hope my old overalls fit.

I am getting near to telling my friends of my plans. My friends are very supportive of most anything I do, so that will be easy. If it makes me happy, they are all for it. I think they will like having an interesting place on the map to visit. My mother won't want me farther from her, but, hopefully will motivate her to do her exercises, get better on her feet. I think she would very much like a short stay in the yurt.

geekette

Reaction score
By the way, watching Homestead Rescue has been seriously influential. The water wheel episode has a lot of goodies, including how to chase a natural spring up the mountain. That will be handy. I do want a water wheel, and it would definitely be possible. That would be a great addition to whatever power stations we set up.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
This is true in California too. When we lived in a busy suburb in the SF Bay Area, we had to be careful of coyotes. They would come down from the mountains and attack small pets. We also saw deer in the town too. We were close to the mountains so we could see just about anything. The town was named after mountain lions, LOL.
We lived in the East Bay. We'd get deer and gophers. I'm going brain dead on what town was name after mountain lions.

geekette

Reaction score
We lived in the East Bay. We'd get deer and gophers. I'm going brain dead on what town was name after mountain lions.
gophers! I've never had those but I thought they were incredibly destructive. I have had moles here that dug tunnels all over. One big grub treatment of the yard years ago and no more moles.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
gophers! I've never had those but I thought they were incredibly destructive. I have had moles here that dug tunnels all over. One big grub treatment of the yard years ago and no more moles.
I remember having gophers when I was growing up outside Los Angeles. Mostly I remember my dad's frustration and the hole all over the backyard. We have them here in Santa Fe as well. Oh yeah, the other critter we would get in California was raccoons. Those are nasty little beasts.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
@WinniWoman Your post makes makes me really happy. I know how awful and exhausting your move was so hearing you feel like you are vacation is what it's all about.

It’s so weird because sometimes I feel like we will be going home at some point. That we are here temporarily. Then I have to remind myself we are home!

Last edited:

geekette

Reaction score
I remember having gophers when I was growing up outside Los Angeles. Mostly I remember my dad's frustration and the hole all over the backyard. We have them here in Santa Fe as well. Oh yeah, the other critter we would get in California was raccoons. Those are nasty little beasts.
The biggest problem with raccoons, for me, is how darned cute the tots are. I like watching them in someone else's yard, Mom and a line of 5 fuzzballs stumbling along. In my yard, the cute factor plummets fast. This place isn't for kids. I make an exception for the deer. Momma needed a safe place, and it was along "the easement" I'd indirectly granted the herd many years ago. I like that they eat the darned raspberries that I cannot seem to erradicate, and take care of other berries I won't eat.

I have been lucky that raccoons never messed with my garage or trash cans. If that started happening, squirt guns first. marbles via slingshot next. Make it unpleasant and they quit visiting. beware of giving them a water source, they do like to wash their food. I've heard that rags soaked with ammonia deter raccoons. I continue to try it and haven't seen one uncomfortably close to the house in a while, but haven't yet done close inspection since my return.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
It’s so weird because sometimes I feel like we will be going home at some point. That we ate here temporarily. Then I have to remind myself we are home!
When I moved 3 years ago, it upended my whole family. I was the 3rd generation owner of that house (my grandparents purchased it in the depression). Our last family christmas there was Christmas #80 for my mom and uncle @ that home.

geekette

Reaction score
It’s so weird because sometimes I feel like we will be going home at some point. That we ate here temporarily. Then I have to remind myself we are home!
Keep on making it more like home and it will feel more like home. It's still new, and then the pandemic life detour that prevented your real moving into the community amenities, reaching your roots out. There was simply no way to forecast bad timing, but you have continued to make lemonade, so keep on that path. It will be possible to fill your life with things you enjoy, just not at the pace you had expected. You planned the left turn career and living change, just had not anticipated such a strange spin of events past that. Like you got a curve ball applied to an already moving object. I hope the path to "normal-ish" is soon to your area. I think that outdoors being a good thing is a good thing, it just took months for that to be comfortably possible for a lot of us (winter went on and on, went away and came back...) None of my friends would have come out for Parka Night in my backyard in March, April, nor May ...

geekette

Reaction score
When I moved 3 years ago, it upended my whole family. I was the 3rd generation owner of that house (my grandparents purchased it in the depression). Our last family christmas there was Christmas #80 for my mom and uncle @ that home.
Whoa! Serious History. I hope you didn't get a massive dose of guilt pressure.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
None of my friends would have come out for Parka Night in my backyard in March, April, nor May ...
Hey--just gave me a family thanksgiving/Christmas dinner idea--for the garage with doors open if it's snowing/sleeting!

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara

LOL, it is Los Gatos in the South Bay. The Cats in Spanish.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I don't know about brave, but I would apply that to my friend. Few people set out to live on undeveloped land all by themselves, far from everything.

Yes to timesharing. It will indeed be like plush living! I am taking her to Myrtle Beach in Oct, 2 br, 2 ba, full laundry. It will be culture shock for her!! It will be good to bail out periodically in a days of rain situation to indoor living with full amenities.

Toilets are currently composting toilets. Literally a bucket with a toilet seat, then cover your stuff with sawdust. That empties a couple times a week into main compost area. In the full bathroom she built, the bucket is hidden, a great normal toilet seat on top. Shower is solar, the 5 gallon bags are less shower than I would normally want, but enough to do the job. If it is not sufficiently warm or sunny, water can be heated on a propane stove to add hot water.

No electricity. No hookup to grid planned, although one of the potential homesteaders thinks it would be easier to hook in first, and solar later. I don't think so, it would be thousands for that hook up, and then whatever $ to set up solar.

Right now, she has 2 solar panels and 5 portable batteries. I was not a heavy user of lights nor plug in for gadgets so I didn't have to charge them but once over a 2 week stay. Because there are many modern conveniences I will want, my investment in solar will be much larger than hers, but, I can get by on the portable battery method for quite a while. She'd like to build a main solar collection site that could be hooked into from the various buildings. But, 30 acres, that would be a lot of wiring. My eventual home will be fully solar, wired in. Before that, I am likely to pop for a solar fridge (around $1200).

Water is currently coming from church next door that lets her use their outdoor spigot. We made several fill up trips for mostly one gallon jugs but a few larger. She then has pretty water dispensers at sinks that get refilled. Buckets under the sinks collect that water that either goes onto compost pile or the 'mushroom logs' (pre-spored, waiting on mushrooms to take off). So, most every product needs to be earth friendly - soap, shampoo, etc. Trash is either garbage or compost, have to take stuff to the dump.

I'm sorry you would get criticized for posting pics! I don't get why some people jump to ridiculous stuff like you only travel to post pics?!?! My sister accused me of "running away from my life" when we first started timesharing. Seriously??? Like I don't deserve vacations??
I'm good with people having their own thoughts on whatever, but I draw the line where they decide that what I'm doing is wrong or foolish or whatever. myob. made easier by not revealing my business. I told no one I was leaving town. No one was looking for me so that was easy.

I get that it is unusual to go join someone building a camp. Live there without modern conveniences for a while. But, it suits me, even if it would not suit masses of others. Including my family. Long ago, before Asheville became the booming metropolis it is now, I wanted a cabin in the mountains above it. Weird to have these notions from the past zoom forward to where I can actually have a cabin in the mountains. I can have everything I need immediately, and eventually have everything I want, what I have here, as we invest in it or build it. I have no idea how much solar battery my little oven would use, but I am keen on finding out. Ditto my portable washer/dryer.

We are not sure if we'll need multiple wells, multiple septic systems... it's going to depend on how close our eventual Homes go vs the rentals we're currently standing up that will remain 'primitive'. Running water is high on my list in order to remove the water hauling chore. We could buy a storage tank and hire a water truck every so often, but, I'd rather tap some of the springs and channel those to storage tanks. There could eventually be many storage tanks. So much not yet known, but, for me, that's part of the charm - I like being there Early, being part of it all taking shape. The teepee "riverside" will likely have a water collection tank filled with spring water. That would be ideal, as the water hauling up and down a hill is not something we want to deal with long term, even with a hardy ATV. Would of course stock their kitchen with bottled water for drinking, as it will be a while before we can ensure potable spring water.

I plan to make a rain collection system to feed veggie garden. It would be best to have a soaker hose as part of the garden and just turn the spigot when it needs drinkie.

Covid has put all of us off our game. For whatever reason, that makes the off grid living even more palatable. My expenses will be food, fuel, building supplies and entertainment. Cheap and easy. I think it will take 2 years to start building my actual home. I don't yet know if that is kit or Amish labor (they stood up a great workshop with loft for her since I was there last - it is good to have super handy neighbors that work for reasonable rates - that workshop + loft cost her 800 total).

I found a way to make my premature exit from the rat race affordable. If I can forever more avoid having A Job, I would be very happy. It will be up to me to extract $ from what we do there, so, like always, work for pay, just in a very different way. I would rather sweat and get dirty every day vs long boring conference calls or ridiculously shifting deadlines and requirements. Hauling produce to a farmer's market sounds like fun to me. That would be after my greenhouse is built, massive expansion of garden space, and rain collection system to keep them fed. Hope my old overalls fit.

I am getting near to telling my friends of my plans. My friends are very supportive of most anything I do, so that will be easy. If it makes me happy, they are all for it. I think they will like having an interesting place on the map to visit. My mother won't want me farther from her, but, hopefully will motivate her to do her exercises, get better on her feet. I think she would very much like a short stay in the yurt.

Wow, you have so much planned already! Very interesting. Looking forward to hearing more. How will you communicate with your TUG friends? Will you have WiFi?

geekette

Reaction score
Hey--just gave me a family thanksgiving/Christmas dinner idea--for the garage with doors open if it's snowing/sleeting!
Yes! There are great outdoor heaters, but I like bonfires most any time of year. I supply heavy gloves so their normal ones don't get yucky for those that like to add wood. There are many small firepit options that would easily fit most anywhere. A friend of mine has a chili party every Feb in his unheated detached garage. out back is the smoker den/fire pit. He fits into the garage tables and chairs for big ole potluck and has a few big ole surge protectors for the many crockpots that show up. I think his is a 3 c garage.

geekette

Reaction score
Wow, you have so much planned already! Very interesting. Looking forward to hearing more. How will you communicate with your TUG friends? Will you have WiFi?
She's owned the land for 2 years, has only been working on making areas for one, but much progress. I've had a year to think about things so it's not impulsive on my part. I drew her out more on her total vision as I hadn't realized that much of the purpose was the classroom. I had thought the point was a Glamp Site, get guests via AirBnB. I am glad she wants to attract other groups, I just hadn't known that was a high priority.

Wifi, not sure. for a while, we will each have our own plans but I think we could get a shared camp plan at some point with unlimited data. I have a car that is a rolling hotspot but car must be On so would use that infrequently, but super good to have for an emergency. There are internet options in the area but not sure what's good, price to value, etc. A decision for Later.