• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How to save my points that I exchanged through RCI?

pekckian1

TUG Member
Reaction score
A year ago, I exchanged my Aulani points for a week stay in The Manhattan Club via RCI. Check in date will be July 3rd 2020. Unfortunately, my 7 years old daughter had a major surgery two months ago and we decided not to travel to New York this summer. What are the options do I have to recover my points? Can I modify my reservation? Is it possible to rent out or give away my week at The Manhattan Club? Appreciate for any advice to save my Aulani points or week at Manhattan Club

Firepath

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC
You can go into the reservation on your RCI account and add insurance now(if you didn't already purchase it). It will cost more than it would've originally, but will protect your points. You will forfeit your exchange fee, and the points will stay in your RCI account (they won't revert to RCI points) but you can use them for a future vacation (I think up to two years). You have to call RCI to cancel the exchange reservation.

pekckian1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the travel insurance is only for citizens and residents of USA and Canada. We are not eligible to purchase

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have no clue. Speedy recovery to your daughter and let us know what your options/are if any.

Did you try contacting RCI?MS? Were you given a cancellation policy? (we are usually told when we have traded say our points for DCL). Good luck!

Bailey#1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC SSR BWV, Avenue Plaza, Redington Ambassador
A year ago, I exchanged my Aulani points for a week stay in The Manhattan Club via RCI. Check in date will be July 3rd 2020. Unfortunately, my 7 years old daughter had a major surgery two months ago and we decided not to travel to New York this summer. What are the options do I have to recover my points? Can I modify my reservation? Is it possible to rent out or give away my week at The Manhattan Club? Appreciate for any advice to save my Aulani points or week at Manhattan Club
Fortunately Manhattan Club is a sort after resort. I would email RCI at feedback@rci.com I find that the Customer service is more knowledge via email at rci.

Get back to us if you find anything.

ausman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the travel insurance is only for citizens and residents of USA and Canada. We are not eligible to purchase

I remember reading this previously and thinking it was not travel insurance that was being referred to. I took it to be the "points protection" option offered by RCI.

That, points protection, is not travel insurance per se but only applies to retaining use (all or some) of the points used for the reservation that is cancelled for any reason. I don't see any restriction regarding residency in the RCI explanation. It may be you are correct and I would not have commented if you had used the term "points protection".

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
There is a sliding scale of how many points you will lose for cancelling even without points protection. You should be able to push the cancel button the first time and it will tell you how many points will be returned to you. You can cancel out the cancellation at that point or go on and confirm the cancellation. You are still 6 months out so you may not lose enough points that it is even worth adding the points protection. Points protection does not refund the exchange fee and it doesn't extend the expiration of the points.

Deb & Bill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - OKW, Sold BRV; Used to own Charter Club Marco Island
You cannot rent out an RCI trade of DVC points.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Talk to RCI, I had to cancel an exchange due to MIL passing away. I spoke to a supervisor and she was good about restoring my point plus credit my exchange fee so I can use it next time I book an exchange with RCI. Wishing your daughter well after her surgery.
Let us know how everything goes.
Silentg