• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How to Pick a Watermelon

geekette

Reaction score
This is great! I have many watermelon plants growing, including 2 next door with a family.

boy and girl watermelons... I had no idea.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
  1. Go to Kroger.com
  2. Search for Watermelon and select
  3. Go to Check-out
  4. Select Pick-up or delivery
  5. Select a time (Pick up)
  6. Pay
  7. Wait
  8. Answer the door or go to the store for pick up

:devilish:

geekette

Reaction score
no point and click produce selection for me. picked at peak ripeness is a beautiful thing.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Good tips. And I always sniff the 'tail' end for sweet watermelon scent. A local watermelon is a great watermelon. Choose Hagerman!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim) NEW: 2 Lawa'i Beach Resort!
Much of this applies to other melons as well - the prettiest melons are not the best melons. If they don't have a flat/discolored spot where they rested on the ground, it means they were picked green. I also think that you want to hear a deep sound when you thump a melon with your fingers. It's hard to describe, but if you try it on several you will quickly figure it out.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I also think that you want to hear a deep sound when you thump a melon with your fingers. It's hard to describe, but if you try it on several you will quickly figure it out.
I've heard it described as a "hollow" sound. And your right, it's hard to describe but once you get used to it, it is easy to hear.

Kurt

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The county feed & seed store did not have any in today. They will be in either Thursday or Friday morning.

geekette

Reaction score
The county feed & seed store did not have any in today. They will be in either Thursday or Friday morning.
At which time you will be able to amaze and delight with your ability to tell boy from girl watermelon!!

I actually will use this info to cut one of each to taste test when my crop is ready.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
At which time you will be able to amaze and delight with your ability to tell boy from girl watermelon!!

I actually will use this info to cut one of each to taste test when my crop is ready.
I remember doing that with my Father as a young lad growing up. My Father would pluck the watermelon and he could select the sweetest watermelons. IMHO.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have had great success asking random people to select one for me. I am terrible at picking watermelons.