• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How to handle a personal resale

klynn

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just won an ebay auction from a private party. I won the auction for $405.00. The auction stated the resort will handle closing and the resort transfer fee is $75.00. Total due is the winning bid of $405.00 plus $75.00 for a total of $480.00. In the auction the seller said payment was to made via PayPal. The auction also stated the seller would pay the winning bidder $500.00. In the end that will be a net to me of $20.00. The seller has contacted me and asked me to either send him a certified check or if I want to pay via PayPal to pay his fees (fees were not mentioned in the auction.) He said when the deed is transferred he will send me a certified check for $500.00. How can I be sure I will get the $500.00 from him? I think the resort should be handling the exchanging of monies. I will call them tomorrow and inquire. What is your opinion on how to proceed?

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
This whole thing stinks to me. Why would he pay YOU to buy the timeshare from him? I wouldn't count on getting anything back from him...

Want to share the EBay listing so we can see how it was written? Sounds very, very suspicious to me...

Fern

Michael

TUG Member
Reaction score
Saw that auction as well

Why not have him send you a contract to sign and a $20.00 check after the deed is recorded? Assuming it is legit, sounds like he is just trying to unload the timeshare and maintenance fees (it is a March week in Minnesota).

- Michael

klynn

TUG Member
Reaction score
here is the link

Fern Modena said:
This whole thing stinks to me. Why would he pay YOU to buy the timeshare from him? I wouldn't count on getting anything back from him...

Want to share the EBay listing so we can see how it was written? Sounds very, very suspicious to me...

Fern

auction link

king1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds legit to me--if I owned a March week in that deep freeze, I'd pay you $1000 to take it off my hands!

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Looks to me like you owe him reimbursement of the maintenence fee, too, which means he doesn't owe you anything, you owe him...

Fern

klynn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fern Modena said:
Looks to me like you owe him reimbursement of the maintenence fee, too, which means he doesn't owe you anything, you owe him...

Fern

No, the 2006 MF are already paid for by him and he is not asking for that. He already sent me a message that total due is $480.01.

jancurious

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
This smells of the current fraud out there of saying they will give you money back. I have my car listed on AutoTrader & must get two of these e-mails a week. Plus the seller has no ratings from Ebay.

I would immediately step back & get confirmation from the resort that he owns the week he sold. Based upon that information & how comfortable I was then feeling, I would either proceed or use an escorw company to handle the transaction.

Jan

jperkins

TUG Member
Reaction score
If this is a deeded week I don't think the resort is going to handle the deed transfer. They of course would change their records to reflect the new owner once the deed work is done and probably charge $75 for this.

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
Sounds like a scam to me, but if you really think this week is worth the annual maintenance fees, I would insist on using an escrow service (though you really should have done that before bidding).

Even if you pay with a credit card, they can string you along until the time limits for Paypal and credit card disputes is past.

Sheila

klynn

TUG Member
Reaction score
I talked to the resort today

The resort verified ownership. They will prepare the deed and do the transfer paperwork for $75.00. The seller also wrote me back and said he will transfer ownership without me sending him the $480.00. He said he will send me $20.00. (The difference of the total purchase price of $480.00 and the $500.00 from him). Sounds fair to me. So basicallly I got a free week, can use it in 2006 for free, and I can convert it into 42,000 RCI points if I want.