• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How to get in Aruba in 2013?

sd2734

Reaction score
We want to L/O our platinum 2 Bedroom at Ocean Pointe and exchange to one of the Aruba Marriotts, using either side of the unit. We are planning this trip for Jan-Apr 2013.
The question is when should we try to book the exchange week and do the "Request First"? We are single week owners and are hesitant to wait till Dec 2012 to try for week 51/52 (assuming that these weeks have the highest trading power) since we may end up without a reservation.
Our reservations for February 2012 week 6 (studio portion) and April week 15 (1 Bdrm) did not show anything in Aruba or the Caribbean, when we tried II. It only showed Mexico.
Any suggestions on a possible strategy?

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
What size unit are you trying to trade into?

I've only tried to trade into a Studio, and was successful. I had deposited a MOC Studio into II and traded into Aruba Ocean Club Studio for mid-February 2012. My trade cleared at approx 10 months out.

I have heard that larger units are tough to trade into, but others will chime in. I do think you will want to deposit your weeks and try trading for Jan/Feb/Mar 2013 at this time when owners are depositing them.

Also, April should be a much easier trade, I've even seen late April Aruba with my Worldmark, you should get an April trade.

Let us know how it turns out.

All the best,

Greg

CashEddie

TUG Member
Reaction score
We want to L/O our platinum 2 Bedroom at Ocean Pointe and exchange to one of the Aruba Marriotts, using either side of the unit. We are planning this trip for Jan-Apr 2013.
The question is when should we try to book the exchange week and do the "Request First"? We are single week owners and are hesitant to wait till Dec 2012 to try for week 51/52 (assuming that these weeks have the highest trading power) since we may end up without a reservation.
Our reservations for February 2012 week 6 (studio portion) and April week 15 (1 Bdrm) did not show anything in Aruba or the Caribbean, when we tried II. It only showed Mexico.
Any suggestions on a possible strategy?

You can't do a request first trade with what you have now for 2012. Request first trades are limited to up to one year prior to check in date of what you are depositing travel. Best thing for you to do is make a 2013 ressie for the best week you can for OP now and either do an ongoing search as a request first trade or deposit first and trade. The advantage of the deposit first trade is that you have 3 year travel window. Downside, you have to give up your week first before being confirmed.

sd2734

Reaction score
Unit size does not matter too much to us--Studio or 1 Bdrm is fine.

I got the part with the reservation, but we do not know which weeks to try to reserve. Will just any week in platinum do? Which weeks will maximize our chance of a successful trade?

CashEddie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unit size does not matter too much to us--Studio or 1 Bdrm is fine.

I got the part with the reservation, but we do not know which weeks to try to reserve. Will just any week in platinum do? Which weeks will maximize our chance of a successful trade?

You get more trading power with II when you do a deposit first as early as you can. If you have the ability to reserve Presidents week or Easter/spring break for 2013, you will have a strong trader for 2013. The thing to keep in mind is that people are about to make their ressies for the times you want to go next year and you may have already missed out on January 2013 because those owners have probably made their deposits and trades are being matched up to folks that had ongoing requests withn their 2012 weeks from 2011.

caterina25

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would say March and April as January and February are very full.If you put in a long term request continue to search daily.Even if your unit is on request,you can still use it to search for inventory that pops up in the system.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Assuming you are talking about depositing your 2013 OP weeks.

If you do an "internal request" through a Marriott rep at II you can do a request first well beyond the check-in date of your deposit.

You are now into the highest demanded weeks at OP, those with a 150 on the II demand index.

I say call tomorrow and lock and reserve the latest weeks you can and begin your internal request first search now for January thru April 2013 at Aruba. There is no question that this trade will happen and probably very quickly.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
I am not sure if you'd prefer to use your already deposited weeks. If so, the important thing it to put in an ongoing request. There may not be Aruba units in II for the dates you want when you call or check online, but they may very well match an on-going request, esp. if your request is in at the 12-13 month mark as the first units are deposited. Getting a studio unit should be no problem with a strong Ocean Pointe week, esp. if you are flexible wrt dates.

Smooth Air

TUG Member
Reaction score
Call Marriott & reserve the best Ocean Pointe week that you can for 2013.

Do you have to lock off? I would be inclined to reserve the best 2BR OP week that I can. Then call II and do a "request first" for Aruba Jan-April, 2013.

If you must lock off, then do your lock-off, reserve the best weeks that you can for each portion & then 'Request First' with both w/ II for Jan-April, 2013

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I had an ongoing search confirmed into a Surf club studio for Jan 2013 using a non-Marriott. So, you should deposit something ASAP, as weeks are starting to appear. Elaine

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Call Marriott & reserve the best Ocean Pointe week that you can for 2013.

Do you have to lock off? I would be inclined to reserve the best 2BR OP week that I can. Then call II and do a "request first" for Aruba Jan-April, 2013.

If you must lock off, then do your lock-off, reserve the best weeks that you can for each portion & then 'Request First' with both w/ II for Jan-April, 2013
Unless I misunderstood, a studio or 1BR was fine with the OP, so he should be able to get a studio at the SC with one side of a good Ocean Pointe Plat. week.

Elaine- nice grab this far out without the Marriott preference. Enjoy your trip!