• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How to determine if a Vistana resale is a good value?

bHbZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
I found a mandatory resale but can't figure out whether it's a good deal.

I'll get a Platinum week, 44,000 StarOptions annually, for $850 maintenance fees but have no/low intention in staying at my home resort. My end goal is to bank two years worth of points (44,000 x 2) plus my existing ownership (67,100 x 2) to redeem in Maui for an oceanfront two bedroom villa (176,700 and then some).

I'm trying to minimize my upfront fees which rules out buying into WKORV/N and I'm ok booking 8 months in advance. I considered a Westin Kierland resale but recent listings have fewer StarOptions per year (25,800-37,000).

Is this a good deal? I know it'll be another mess if I ever want to book Marriott vacation club properties.

I appreciate any feedback and/or a nudge in the right direction. Thanks to the community for the wisdom you're sharing.

Erinaadyn

Reaction score

I'll get a Platinum week, 44,000 StarOptions annually, for $850 maintenance fees but have no/low intention in staying at my home resort. My end goal is to bank two years worth of points (44,000 x 2) plus my existing ownership (67,100 x 2) to redeem in Maui for an oceanfront two bedroom villa (176,700 and then some).

I'm trying to minimize my upfront fees which rules out buying into WKORV/N and I'm ok booking 8 months in advance. I considered a Westin Kierland resale but recent listings have fewer StarOptions per year (25,800-37,000).

Is this a good deal? I know it'll be another mess if I ever want to book Marriott vacation club properties.

I appreciate any feedback and/or a nudge in the right direction. Thanks to the community for the wisdom you're sharing.
Is it free? What are they charging for the resale?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Usually SVV Platinum/Prime weeks work out to a better MF to StarOption ratio than the Gold Plus WKV weeks do. However, finding them at a good price can be tricky.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

I don't know which mandatory week that you are looking to buy, but back of the napkin tells me that you are going to be paying alot of MF to stay in a Maui ocean front 2 BR unit. Note that it is not often for Maui ocean front 2 BR unit to show up at 8 months in VSN.
MF: 2 x 850 + 1200 (estimated) * 2 = $4,100 OUCH. Have you looked into paying a bit more upfront for better MF/SO week?

Last edited:

WatsonC2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana Villages, Wyndham Grand Desert

Not knowing the price, but whats the total maintenance cost for 2 years plus VSN fees plus banking fees vs. the typical rack rate at the WKORV, WKORVN, or Nanea? And is what you seek to use your options for usually available when you want to go?

bHbZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is it free? What are they charging for the resale?

It's in the hundreds, unlike WKORV, WKORVN, and the Westin St. John (thousands).

MF: 2 x 850 + 1200 (estimated) * 2 = $4,100 OUCH. Have you look into paying a bit more upfront for better MF/SO week?

Just about nailed it. $850 x 2, $1,300 x 2 = $4,300

And is what you seek to use your options for usually available when you want to go?

Generally, we target the 2nd or 3rd week in August. We last stayed in August 2021 but was able to find availability at an oceanfront two bedroom in the Westin Nanea. Did we luck out because summer travel to Hawaii was limited?

bHbZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
vs. the typical rack rate at the WKORV, WKORVN, or Nanea?

Ugh, Marriott is not making it easy to find an oceanfront at WKORV or Nanea. A VRBO listing is $1,100 per night and a random one night stay in March 2023 is $1,489.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Take your time and find a better option. It’s very easy to buy a timeshare, and difficult to sell… if necessary, rent for your next visit while you keep looking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, WLR, So Cal Beach Club
Just about nailed it. $850 x 2, $1,300 x 2 = $4,300

Generally, we target the 2nd or 3rd week in August. We last stayed in August 2021 but was able to find availability at an oceanfront two bedroom in the Westin Nanea. Did we luck out because summer travel to Hawaii was limited?

This is very high maintenance fees to pay. Particularly for something that you may not be able to get. If you're only interested in reserving OF during high season, I think you're likely to be disappointed. I would not expect to be able to replicate what you did in 2021 going forward.

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ugh, Marriott is not making it easy to find an oceanfront at WKORV or Nanea. A VRBO listing is $1,100 per night and a random one night stay in March 2023 is $1,489.
I would be looking at Redweek.com.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
2bd OF units on Maui are almost never available for StarOptions at the eight month mark -- even during low season.

If you are limited to travelling during school vacations, you can remove the "almost" from "almost never", unless you luck into someone's cancellation.

bHbZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Take your time and find a better option. It’s very easy to buy a timeshare, and difficult to sell…

Thanks to all for the advice. I’ll see how easy/hard it is to book my existing deed’s 2022 and 2023 StarOptions for the Nanea 8 months prior to August 2023.

From what I’ve researched, buying into WKORV for the week/season/view I want will hold its value if we ever sell it down the road. I just have to get over the mentality of paying thousands upfront which could be used for other things in life.

I guess the mandatory resale I found is like an inkjet printer… it’s very cheap to buy but I’ll pay a lot for ink cartridges every year.

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SO trades into Hawaii are doable if you're flexible with schedule, view, and unit type. It sounds like you're only interested in peak times in a peak unit.

bHbZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
SO trades into Hawaii are doable if you're flexible with schedule, view, and unit type.

Yes. In years past, I was able to get a resort view studio or one bedroom at WKORV. After trying an oceanfront two bedroom at Nanea in August 2021, we’re now spoiled. Two years worth of our existing deed might get us five nights which is why I wanted a cheaper upfront mandatory resale to get seven maybe eight nights. But just having enough StarOptions is half the story.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
To me it sounds like a lot of effort to get something you likely won't be able to. If you're really set on Maui OF every two years in August then avoid the hassle of buying any more inventory, rent out what you have and put the money you save/get in rentals towards renting yourself through Redweek for about the same/just a little more than you expected to be paying in MFs.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I know of an WKORV OFC that rents their 2Bd LO for ~$5000/week if you need a data point for renting vs. buying vs. exchanging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Thanks to all for the advice. I’ll see how easy/hard it is to book my existing deed’s 2022 and 2023 StarOptions for the Nanea 8 months prior to August 2023.

Nanea is relatively easy to get, though not necessary OF.

From what I’ve researched, buying into WKORV for the week/season/view I want will hold its value if we ever sell it down the road. I just have to get over the mentality of paying thousands upfront which could be used for other things in life.

It didn't used to be this way, so I'm not sure you should count on it. For years the resale cost was about 2-3x the current price, and many of us thought that would hold its value. Ultimately, the price for a timeshare should - IMHO - be determined by your own justification of it. If the deed purchase is acceptable to you, the MFs don't scare you away, and the ever increasing County taxes and their attitude toward timeshares don't bother you then buying may be the most appropriate solution.

I guess the mandatory resale I found is like an inkjet printer… it’s very cheap to buy but I’ll pay a lot for ink cartridges every year.

Yup. Welcome to timeshares.

FWIW, for 15+ years I've had relatively little difficulty using SOs to get WKORV/N, though I don't reserve OF and I only want a 1-bed or studio. If you're going during a higher demand period and you simply must have OF then I agree with those that suggest buying the exact deeded property you want to use, and do not use SO to even attempt the reservation. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. :)

bHbZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you're going during a higher demand period and you simply must have OF then I agree with those that suggest buying the exact deeded property you want to use, and do not use SO to even attempt the reservation.

Ok. I’m convinced. I’ll wait and watch WKORV oceanfront resales until a unit hits a good price point with an acceptable maintenance fee.

I value all your opinions. Thanks again!

rcv82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SMV
WKORV (OFD)
Westin Flex
MVC Trust
GTL
GP8
CWA
Ok. I’m convinced. I’ll wait and watch WKORV oceanfront resales until a unit hits a good price point with an acceptable maintenance fee.

I value all your opinions. Thanks again!

WKORV OF are typically 30 - 45K, with the center units more scarce (12 vs 24) and more expensive because they have substantially lower maintenance fees (and the studio looks straight on the ocean). The deluxe corners are bigger and more windows, but have very high fees.

If buying and want to save some money, take a look at the WKORVN OFs. Lower cost to buy and maintenance fees close to the WKORV centers. And there are many more OF units at WKORVN, although it has some units with poor views.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
If you want to use a broker, Syed Sarmad is on Maui and knows the market; many of us have used him (3x for me). www.advantagevacation.com

If you choose WKORVN, make your reservation promptly at the 12 month mark. Units are assigned based on timestamp and about a third of the WKORVN-OF units shouldn't have been categorized as OF; you don't want one of those.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
WKORV OF are typically 30 - 45K, with the center units more scarce (12 vs 24) and more expensive because they have substantially lower maintenance fees (and the studio looks straight on the ocean).

I don’t follow these prices very closely, but I thought we’ve had numerous reports of WKORV OF for ~$25k. $45k sounds like the price from some years ago… or am I mistaken?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don’t follow these prices very closely, but I thought we’ve had numerous reports of WKORV OF for ~$25k. $45k sounds like the price from some years ago… or am I mistaken?

$35K seems the general starting point on Redweek these days going up to $40K+. Generally WKORVN are about $10K cheaper but as always there are some asking silly prices e.g. $30K for an EOY o_O

rcv82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SMV
WKORV (OFD)
Westin Flex
MVC Trust
GTL
GP8
CWA
$35K seems the general starting point on Redweek these days going up to $40K+. Generally WKORVN are about $10K cheaper but as always there are some asking silly prices e.g. $30K for an EOY o_O

Definitely still beats the $187k developer price I was shown at my last owner update. Of course, new money (vs trade-in) got a 15% discount…

bHbZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
If buying and want to save some money, take a look at the WKORVN OFs. Lower cost to buy and maintenance fees close to the WKORV centers. And there are many more OF units at WKORVN, although it has some units with poor views.

Good to know. I think the allure of that Vistana Villages resale unit was the <$1k asking. We’re not at that point in life to lock in $25-$40k upfront into a WKORV/WKORVN timeshare. But it’d be certainly more frustrating to pay $850 annually beyond what we already own without getting what we really want.

So, in the meantime…

Step1 - try for what we can get in Maui with two years worth of our current SVV Key West (67,100 SO x 2)

Step 2 - if we can’t, rent out unit at our home resort or a desirable destination elsewhere

Step 3 - use proceeds from step 2 plus extra cash to get what we want in Maui

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sounds like a plan. I was getting worried you might be swayed by that 15% discount on the $187K developer purchase :D