• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How to catch a car hnugry critter

mishpat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Returning in Vistana(see, there has to be a t/s angle to this,right?), we were shocked to find our sons Buick Century sounding like it too needed a vacation. Long story short. A critter(possum or raccoon) had set up house in the engine and eaten three meals a day in the wires and cables, $600 later, the car was fine again UNTIL YESTERDAY when the check engine light came back on and $150 more of wires were destroyed. Bought a $44 raccoon trap at Home Depot and a can of cat food. Any other ideas? No, I do not have a gun license

JudyH

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Skip the license. Once you trap the critter, put some peanut butter on the tip of the .22 rifle you need to buy at Dick's, and blast him in the nose.

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
Just be careful if you decide to take the critter anywhere to dispose of. My neighbor caught raccoons that were pulling up his new sod to get at the bugs under it. He caught them, loaded the traps into his van, and started down the highway to release them out in the country. Imagine his shock when they managed to get out and started bouncing off the van walls! Luckily, he was able to pull off the road before there was any major damage and get the door open.

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
I wouldn't be happy if someone released a raccoon on our country property. We have enough of our own to battle.

If you ask around, you might be able to find someone who wants them. We have a friend that uses them to train dogs (the raccoons are not injured) so any we trap go to his farm.

Another possible issue in this area is how many skunks you may catch before a raccoon gets trapped. Not a good thing.

We have tried everything to keep them out of the corn we try to grow and they are definitely outwitting the humans. My husband has all but given up on growing my second favorite summer food.

Sheila

Last edited:

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
I would call the local animal control and let them know of the problem. They should be able to set up traps to catch and take care of the critter.

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
Here they would just tell you where to buy a trap, but I'm sure it varies by government entity. Never hurts to ask.

Sheila

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I feel your pain. I'm a fan of live traps and releasing the critter far, far away from wherever it started. I just (two weeks ago) finished clearing out squirrels from my attic for the third time in four years. I hope it's the end of it. Squirrels are cute in City Parks, but not when they're invading my warm, cosy attic.

My house had some trees that overhung the garage roof, and the buggers were running out on the branches, jumping onto the roof, then getting into my attic by breaking through vent screening under the gable eaves. I replaced the weak screening the builder used with serious wire mesh (didn't do this previously), after I'd captured the squirrels in the humane trap I own, and I'd released them in an undeveloped woodsy area miles from my home. I also cut off the overhanging branches this year. I hope this is the last time I have to deal with any of this. BTW, I used Fritos corn chips as bait. Oily, smelly corn chips work really well.

Raccoons are another story altogether. I have no idea what to do about them. Good luck!

Dave

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been told animal control can NOT REMOVE A WILD ANIMAL FROM YOUR PROPERTY. Something about having a federal permit to transport wild critters.

My neighborhood now has more foxes.

I would call the local animal control and let them know of the problem. They should be able to set up traps to catch and take care of the critter.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Did you actually SEE the critter? Cause you would be surprised what could do that. A friend of mine, who lives about three miles from me has a property which backs up to an arroyo and then a hill. Her sister has to park her car on their driveway. Twice in about two years or so this has happened to her. The culprit? Rats, believe it or not.

Most of us have learned that if you don't want rats coming through your attic, you cannot have trees too close to your house. Specially Palm Trees. Those suckers jump right from the Palms to the attic vents...

Oh, and if that isn't enough, we have coyotes, too. They just mosey along. mainly from back yard to back yard, but sometimes out in the streets, too. I haven't seen many in my neighborhood, but the ones that back up to vacant land see enough.

The city won't do anything, because they are a protected species. And they were here before we were, anyway. Such is life.

Fern

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Just watched a TV news article on Seattle television talking about the damage squirrels do, and they showed pictures of a car engine, where they CHEWED THE WIRES. Made me think about the OP's situation. I wonder if the car culprit might actually be squirrels, and the raccoon is a semi-innocent victim? The news story said squirrels eat wiring insulation to use it to line their nests.

Hmm. My not-so-love of squirrels just went down another notch. ;)

Dave

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Just watched a TV news article on Seattle television talking about the damage squirrels do, and they showed pictures of a car engine, where they CHEWED THE WIRES. Made me think about the OP's situation. I wonder if the car culprit might actually be squirrels, and the raccoon is a semi-innocent victim? The news story said squirrels eat wiring insulation to use it to line their nests.

Hmm. My not-so-love of squirrels just went down another notch. ;)

Dave

Just saw the same news story here on the 9p news. The story was out of Oregon, near Portland.