• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How to avoid a guest fee?

A.Win

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you check your guests in the resort to avoid a guest fee? Do any of you do this? More specifically, to save $99, can I arrive at the resort before my guests. Add their names to the room. And then they check-in later?

I guess the risk is that if they mess up the unit, I am responsible. Any other considerations that I haven't thought of?

Thanks!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I would do this for friends or family, but not for renter's - with renter's you want their credit card on the unit.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you check your guests in the resort to avoid a guest fee? Do any of you do this? More specifically, to save $99, can I arrive at the resort before my guests. Add their names to the room. And then they check-in later?

I guess the risk is that if they mess up the unit, I am responsible. Any other considerations that I haven't thought of?

Thanks!

Do you mean to avoid a guest certificate charge?

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Remember that little imprint of YOUR credit card they take when YOU check in? That credit card should match the inbound guest --- Mr/Ms A.Win .. as you added YOUR guests to the room AFTER you checked in.

They could CHARGE things to their room (and your credit card) like the TIKI bar round or 20 drinks every night. Or spa services to the room. Etc. Etc.

Really ... pay the GC fee and let them put their credit on the line.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The one time I did this was for my Mom. I got a Marriott exchange, and since I was going to be in the area anyway, I just checked her in under my name and credit card.

She didn't understand that there were additional fees, so I ended up with over $100 in long distance phone calls and parking for her guests that visited her, on my credit card.

No biggie for my mom - but would not have been happy if it was a renter.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Who is charging $99 for guest certificate? That seems to be overly excessive!

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
The only way to do this with Wyndham points reservation, if you are also staying would be to have one room in your name and one room in another owner of record on the account. Then one of you would have to check into the other room and see if you could add other names onto the room and/or change the CC to the guest name.

If you don't have multiple owners on the same account that can check into multiple rooms, you will need to pay the guest cert fee or use one of the accounts included guest certs.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Who is charging $99 for guest certificate? That seems to be overly excessive!

LisaH is NOT a Wyndham owner ... online a Guest Certificate is $99. Use the call in center, it is $129.

Be sure to spell the name correctly, too.

And Welcome to the Overcharging World of Wyndham!

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Every account gets one "free" guest confirm (VIPs get more). The answer isn't how to get more for free The answer is fewer guests or have them pay the $99

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Only one name needs to be on confirmation. I had a confirmation for my sister and she was going to bring two guests do o called Wyndham to add name and was told all they needed was the person checking in.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Yes, but you need to have someone that is on the Wyndham account checking in to avoid using a guest cert (be it a paid one or one of the account freebies). It also can't be in the name of someone who is on another reservation for any of the same dates either at the same resort or any resort using a wyndham account reservation.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry it went over your head, point being, if both names on the account, per tschwa2 , wife checks into one, husband in other. In my case was told Wyndham only needs name of person checking in.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
LisaH is NOT a Wyndham owner ... online a Guest Certificate is $99. Use the call in center, it is $129.

Be sure to spell the name correctly, too.

And Welcome to the Overcharging World of Wyndham!

Oops didn't notice it was in Wyndham forum :)
Oh yeah that sucks! Glad that I am not a Wyndham owner (Worldmark, yes!)

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry it went over your head, point being, if both names on the account, per tschwa2 , wife checks into one, husband in other. In my case was told Wyndham only needs name of person checking in.

You still arent making any sense.

the point is, if someone is checking in and there name is not on the account, someone needs to pay.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Can you check your guests in the resort to avoid a guest fee?

The OP asked how to check-in a GUEST without paying for a GC.

One's spouse is not a guest.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
A husband and wife are joint owners.
They want to go to a Wyndham resort, and take a friend
They make one reservation under his name
Then another under her name.
Would there be a guest fee?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A husband and wife are joint owners.
They want to go to a Wyndham resort, and take a friend
They make one reservation under his name
Then another under her name.
Would there be a guest fee?

Me thinks that you respond, without reading what has already be posted.

If a reservation is in YOUR name, it will also be on YOUR credit card.

Do you want renters/guests charging on YOUR credit card??????

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Denise,
Yes but the OP asked if he could check the guest in.
With Wyndham, you can't have multiple reservations under the same owner's name at the same time. So even if the guest and OP were staying at the same resort together, having the OP check in the guest would not avoid the Guest Cert Fee. In fact if the OP did not buy a guest cert for the guest and tried to keep both reservations in the OP's name then at least one reservation could get cancelled by Wyndham anytime within 14 days of check in. Someone else like the OP's spouse (or someone else on the Wyndham account) would have to check into one room while the OP could check in for the guests room.

If the OP was not staying onsite or anywhere with a Wyndham reservation, then the OP could indeed go to the resort and check in for the guest to avoid the guest cert. So my point was that on top of the risks if you have multiple rooms you need to have multiple owners on the reservation and present to check in any guests if there is no guest certificate. Whether that would be worth the bother or the risks as you pointed out would be up to the OP.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Me think your wrong. Guests and renter are different. This started out as guests. She posed the question "can I arrive before my guest and check them in later". Tschwa2 offered the idea one room for each owner. What I found is that Wyndham doesn't ask for anything else do just the owners name is needed, a stretch of the rules, but we already know that. If your friends messnup the ts you know where to find them. I didn't think we were discussing renters. They are also going to be there.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raygo123: If this is not a renter, why did the OP make the statement about them messing up the unit? - she is talking about renters.

Add their names to the room. And then they check-in later?

I guess the risk is that if they mess up the unit, I am responsible.

If she checks them in - and they arrive later, both the unit, and the credit card will be under her name.

Also - she said nothing about staying there herself - you are assuming that.

Last edited:

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
"If I arrive first". I'm not going to argue any longer if a guest it will work. If a renter it will work. Yes your right if a renter, I would not want to assume responsibility for someone I don't know. That may occur anyway. I was trying to help. Best answer on this site is charge them for it.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think we all made assumptions to cover all bases that the OP may be inquiring about.

I think your assumption that it is a renter is just as much of a stretch as my assumption that they were staying onsite at the resort.

Your family and friends can be just as likely as a renter (in some cases more so because you don't have a renter's contract spelling everything out) to mess things up and end up with charges on your CC as you found out from your mom.

My assumption is based on the fact that most people don't live close enough to timeshares to conveniently check in guest's early. If you are at a resort earlier than your guests, its usually because you are staying there together.
If you do live that close, it might be the easiest to stop by the resort and get to know the front desk folks and find that info out vs generic Wyndham advice that could be about any resort in the system.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I guess that's just not how I'd do it: If I were staying at the resort, and I didn't want to get a guest certificate, I would meet my guest/renter at the front desk, and check them in, add their names as my guests, and have them put their credit card on the unit.

However, if I was going to be in the area, but not staying at the resort, I might want to check them in, and leave, rather than having to hang around and wait for the guest/renter to show up.

Hopefully, A.Win will come back and clarify. ;)

Last edited:

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
A few years ago I was going to move close to a certain resort as being able to do this would save 1) a lot of money and 2) make it easier when dealing with split reservations for a guest. It is not just about $99 but the risk of losing a reservation or paying 3 $99 guest fees for the week.

Also added perk would be able to use the onsite facilities.