• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How often do you update your GPS?

Wonka

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I just finished downloading an update to my Garmin GPS purchased last December. It was $70.

I wasn't surprised an update was needed, but I thought $70 was awfully high for a download.

Since the GPS was only $150 or so new, I guess this means a GPS will become another throw-away device every two years to keep up with the technology.

RahRah

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just finished downloading an update to my Garmin GPS purchased last December. It was $70.

I wasn't surprised an update was needed, but I thought $70 was awfully high for a download.

Since the GPS was only $150 or so new, I guess this means a GPS will become another throw-away device every two years to keep up with the technology.

Does your cell phone have the option to add GPS mapping to it? Maybe that's something to consider when it's time for a new update - pay the monthly fee on your cell phone rather than a steep one-time, need to do it again later, fee?

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Wow, when we updated the GPS in our Camry it was closer to $200 (if I remember correctly).

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not sure why you would want to or need to update a gps unit that is less than a year old.

I may be wrong, but the info couldn't have significantly changed enough for me to pay $70, especially on a $150 unit.:confused:

KCI

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our GPS was purchased about 14 months ago and we have been getting this message everytime we use it that it needs updating. We just ignore it. How much updating could a unit that new require. We always have our maps handy so if the GPS goes awry we can go back to our old way...maps.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
We aksed the same question to a friend of ours that travels a lot and has a GPS. She said she finds updating EOY works well for her and that's what I plan on doing. At $70/update, it's not worth updating yearly. While I'm certain there are some street/highway changes, I don't think there will be so many as to affect our travels by the cost of $70.

Wonka

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I have a Garmin Nuvi 240. I decided to bite the bullet and spend the $70 for the update after the GPS managed to get us lost a couple of times from what should have been a simple route. The last time, it routed us 20 miles away from a play in St Petersburg, FL. We just made it, after unplugging the unit and getting out the map. I've also been routed to a trail court when looking for a bike repair shop, etc.

I kinda like the idea of scrapping this and using my Blackberry if it's cost effective, although I like the touch screen, etc. of the Garmin.

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
When I purchased my new Garmin in June, I noticed it didn't have the info for the area around Marriott's Ocean Watch. So I updated it pretty quickly after buying it. The update was free. I guess because it was within some period after buying.

One thing that Garmin offers is the ability to view the new map online. I did that before downloading the huge file. The new maps did have the entire area around Ocean Watch.

As Luanne mentiond, GPS updates for built-ins are much more expensive. I was recently looking at a few cars for purchase. I was checking out the GPS and between the two cars, the GPS updates are $280 or $350. I'll skip built-in.

macingr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Garmin GPS update

I just updated one of our Garmin units after one year of useage. I purchased four of the same units, giving two units to married children. I planned on using the update on all four devices. After purchase I discovered the update only works on one GPS. Garmin also wants another $50 for the traffic update. I didn't bother renewing the traffic. I didn't notice any difference between the 2007 and 2008 maps. I'll wait a see what new features the new models have before I update again.

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
Mine came out of the box with pretty outdated maps. I was playing with it and decided to let it take me back to work one day. It got totally confused by the new exit configuration that was more than a year old. I guess I should see if I can get one update for free.

Sheila

kewanee

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think Garmin only updates their maps EOY. You can plug in your serial number on their website (mygarmin.com) and it will tell you if you have the latest version. I got a coupon book in the mail from Circuit City that said 25% map updates, so I started looking around. CC price is $79.99 (before coupon), Garmin website is $69.99, and costco.com is $54.99. I think next time I am at Costco I will see if they sell them in the store.

Wonka

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Mine came out of the box with pretty outdated maps. I was playing with it and decided to let it take me back to work one day. It got totally confused by the new exit configuration that was more than a year old. I guess I should see if I can get one update for free.

Sheila

As I recall, when I received my Garmin for Christmas I got a message the maps were outdated and the update was free. I assumed later updates would also be free. i suppose, that was a dumb assumption.

GPS prices continue to drop and the new units have more bells & whistles. I'm wondering why they haven't combined a GPS with a radar detector?

So, before I update again I'm going to find out more about the newer devices.

Incidently, Garmin purchases the map updates from someone else, and explained that as the reason for the high costs (royalties).