• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 31 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 31st Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How much should this cost? [painting+]

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just bloated inflated wages and costs. But people are happy working minimum wage with their liberal arts degrees. Something is broken.
Many blue collar vocational jobs make way more than white collar jobs. It is free market forces.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Many blue collar vocational jobs make way more than white collar jobs. It is free market forces.

Not really. The owners of the company can but construction workers make between $20 - $36 per hour.

Bill

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am having a limited remodel of 2 bathrooms in our new home. No bathtubs, just replacement of tiles in the 2 walk-in showers, granite countertops - one with 2 sinks, the other has a single sink. The smaller bathroom gets new bathroom floor tile. We re-use the cabinets, both bathroom mirrors and sinks in the larger bathroom. The general contractor said each worker's rate is $60 an hour. The general contractor included materials in the proposal which we signed off. The total cost including materials is $50K. There were 3 workers when they were doing demolition in the first week. Now they are down to 2. He said it should take about 6 weeks.

Last edited:

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Exactly. People should be encouraged to the blue collar jobs and not go into debt to get a general studies or other “useless” degree. Then whine about the amount of student loans and wan t forgiveness.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
$20 to $36 an hour is way more than many white collar jobs, unless you are in a professional occupation.

I thought that "white collar" is professional occupations.

Bill

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Exactly. People should be encouraged to the blue collar jobs and not go into debt to get a general studies or other “useless” degree. Then whine about the amount of student loans and wan t forgiveness.

Construction work comes with an expiration date that varies with each person. Most do not make it to 60 in this line of work.

Bill

Fried_shrimp

Reaction score
Have some friends come over and do it. I had the entire outside of my house, ceiling and walls in 3 large rooms painted and it cost me about $700 in paint, $150 in food on site, and about $300 for a dinner out for all. They did an awesome job!

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Have some friends come over and do it. I had the entire outside of my house, ceiling and walls in 3 large rooms painted and it cost me about $700 in paint, $150 in food on site, and about $300 for a dinner out for all. They did an awesome job!

Not possible with a 2 story home. We would have painted the exterior of our home ourselves but we decided that painting the second story was too dangerous. Don't want anyone falling off of ladders - including us.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
For some reason I love painting. From prepping the area to painting it, I don't mind it. We moved to Florida and rented a condo sight unseen, unfortunately when we arrived the place smelled of garlic and curry. So we had to paint. Went out, bought four gallons and all the stuff to prep it. They weren't coming to unload our truck until the next morning, so I started painting.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
At those prices no need to keep working till 60.

I think you mixing workers with owners. The owners have a responsibility to keep the worker working. In-between contracted jobs , owners often buy a job to keep people working. For me it was buying properties that needed alot of work so the workers had their 40 hours. Being the master of your own destiny is harder than most think. I did it for almost 40 years and I loved it.

Many of the older construction workers finish out as estimators, supervisors or at places like hardware stores, Many do side jobs. Most aren't doing full time heavy labor at 60 full time but some do.

Bill

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
For some reason I love painting. From prepping the area to painting it, I don't mind it.
You are the opposite of me. I don’t know why I hate it so much, but I do. However, I have done some painting this spring, and hate it less than I used to!

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you mixing workers with owners. The owners have a responsibility to keep the worker working. In-between contracted jobs , owners often buy a job to keep people working. For me it was buying properties that needed alot of work so the workers had their 40 hours. Being the master of your own destiny is harder than most think. I did it for almost 40 years and I loved it.

Many of the older construction workers finish out as estimators, supervisors or at places like hardware stores, Many do side jobs. Most aren't doing full time heavy labor at 60 full time but some do.

Bill
Either way those prices our crazy. I think $35-$45 a day. $20 plus food if I get one of my general laborer to do it but quality drops.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Cliff retired from Boeing at age 67, then climbed ladders and carried the heavy draperies and vertical blinds I sold until he was 80. His contractor’s license was due to expire at the end of Oct 2018, so we felt like that was a good time to call it quits. Our previous installer worked until he was 75, then his son took over. We had to let the son go when it became clear he had given the Salvation Army a quote when we were out of town (that was awkward, neither I nor the SA could figure out what the heck was going on), but we see him occasionally on our walks and I’m sure he'll work into his 70's too.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Either way those prices our crazy. I think $35-$45 a day. $20 plus food if I get one of my general laborer to do it but quality drops.
Sure, in the third world country where you live and can exploit cheap labor. Not sure what that has to do with getting a house in New Jersey painted. :shrug:

Kurt

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sure, in the third world country where you live and can exploit cheap labor. Not sure what that has to do with getting a house in New Jersey painted. :shrug:

Kurt
No one is being exploited. $600 a day and I would do it myself. Cars and electronics cost more here. I am sure where I live is more developed then parts of the US including New Jersey. Regardless the prices quoted here are out of control and a supply and demand problem.

Last edited:

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
No one is being exploited. $600 a day and I would do it myself. Cars and electronics cost more here. I am sure where I live is more developed then parts of the US including New Jersey. Regardless the prices quoted here are out of control and a supply and demand problem.
I am not sure where you live... but why the New Jersey comment?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I am not sure where you live... but why the New Jersey comment?
They live in Panama. Not Panama City, but Panama, the country in Central America. I have no idea why their comparison of rates is even relevant here.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I am having a limited remodel of 2 bathrooms in our new home. No bathtubs, just replacement of tiles in the 2 walk-in showers, granite countertops - one with 2 sinks, the other has a single sink. The smaller bathroom gets new bathroom floor tile. We re-use the cabinets, both bathroom mirrors and sinks in the larger bathroom. The general contractor said each worker's rate is $60 an hour. The general contractor included materials in the proposal which we signed off. The total cost including materials is $50K. There were 3 workers when they were doing demolition in the first week. Now they are down to 2. He said it should take about 6 weeks.

Wow, that is shockingly expensive for a minor remodel of what you described you are doing. I doubt I would move forward with that project.