• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How many TUGgers no longer own a TS but still hang out with us?

brooklyn-joe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Life goes on, but I find some interesting behaviors over the year:

Some Tugger have passed
Some Tuggers have grown beyond us
Some Tuggers have grown tired of us (or us of them)
Some Tuggers get rid of their timeshares but hang with this TUG family anyway

For those who have shed their Timeshares and Kept TUG, just wondering who is out there that falls into this camp. And what keeps you here?

Pondering Tug members on this fine day.....
Just deeded back my timeshare to Massanutten. I had requested the buyback, explaining the circumstances (my age, the distance from Brooklyn NY, lack of interest of grandchildren, etc.), and they accepted, with just a deed title transfer fee. So I went from owning four to a portfolio of zero.

I stay om TUG, because I enjoy the camaraderie of the members, and keep "learning things...".

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
so happy Massanutten made it easy for you.

travel maniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
We don't own any timeshare anymore but have left over TPUs in RCI that we're going to try to use within the next few years. TUG is a very interesting and helpful community that I enjoy being part of. After we use all our TPUs we may buy another timeshare if it's a good fit.

Larry M

TUG Member
Reaction score

Some Tugger have passed

For those who have shed their Timeshares and Kept TUG, just wondering who is out there that falls into this camp. And what keeps you here?

Simply found that we prefer other forms of vacationing.

My story is posted in a couple of spots on TUGbbs, but here's a quick summary.
Mother-in-law falls for a timeshare pitch for Fairfield's first location, Fairfield Bay, Arkansas, probably in 1979. U Unfortunately it was a little too far from their home in central Illinois for convenient use. Eventually they retired and moved to northern Virginia to be closer to their son. At this point, the FAX (Fairfield Exchange program) was flourishing and they learned they could bank a year and then get two big units for family reunions, and they did that a few times.

Around 2000, my father-in-law passed away and my mother-in-law transferred the deeded-week timeshare to us. At about that time, Fairfield was acquired by Wyndham (Cendant). . Around this time, the FAX program began to decline. Originally, you could exchange for any resort in the chain. Then it was reduced to a subset. They used to issue a full-color catalog of exchange options each year. Then the catalog was cancelled; you had to call and ask what the options were. Originally there was no fee for an exchange. Then it became $10, then $25, and finally $75.

My wife and I were living in North Carolina. She passed away in 2005 and I began to date again. I exchanged the Arkansas timeshare for one in South Carolina a few times. In 2009 instead of receiving the annual notice about exchange options, I received a letter from Wyndham stating that the FAX exchange program was cancelled. No other options were offered. I called Wyndham and told them I thought this was a breach of contract--that the timeshare had been bought on the promise of exchanges and I had the paperwork on it. They said they would transfer the call. (I didn't realize they were transferring the call directly to the local property management.) The responder heard what I had to say and offered, "Your timeshare is paid up. We will take it back if you send $150 in legal fees." That led to my first interaction with TUG. TUG users (some of who still participate) encouraged me to accept the offer which I did. I also learned about buying resale and about timeshares managed by large chains, versus independents.

The Edisto Island property, which I liked, didn't show up much on TUG so I also made some inquiries locally. After just a few months, I found a unit in the same resort I had been staying in. But it was independent, not a part of Wyndham; it was week 33 instead of week 13, and it was for sale for $1500. Naturally I snapped it up. I didn't worry much about getting free of it because the deed had a sunset clause dated the first Sunday in January 2026.

I used it for a few years, and then my new life partner expressed a preference for different vacation styles. I let my younger son use it; his father is an avid golfer and there is a course on the premises, so it made for great family vacations for them. I was content to let them use it until the sunset, but some things combined to interfere. The HOA treasurer had not been vigilant on foreclosing properties in arrears so money was short and regular maintenance wasn't taking place. A couple of coastal hurricanes had caused additional property damage. The board sent out a questionnaire about moving the sunset date up. Response was overwhelmingly in favor. The property was sold and my share was $5500. I may be one of those rare few that actually made money on a timeshare.

I still hang around TUG from time to time. One of my skills is internet forensics. I've helped a TUGger or two understand how he was scammed, although no money has ever been recovered to my knowledge.

behsci

Reaction score
Age and circumstances caused us to divest. That is a story in itself. (I caught the administrator going out the backdoor and heading for her car! There's more, but that gives you the idea.) We've rented from Tuggers a number of times since then. A good deal for both of us! Actually do better getting what we want than with II and RCI.
I've enjoyed being a lurker, although Tug seems to be devolving into a wealthy multiple weeks, professlional vacationer owner's site.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
I’ve read on TUG that there’s no direct correlation i.e. can’t say that x number of TPUs equals y number of RCI points.
Exactly.

Points & TPUs work on 2 different RCI exchange systems. TPUs & Points are not equivalent & not interchangeable. RCI operates the 2 exchange systems separately side by side. There are some connections. That is, if you join RCI Points, you get a parallel RCI Weeks (TPUs) account also at no added charge. Plus, RCI Points members can get exchange access to RCI Weeks units, a phenomenon known to some of the RCI old-timers as Raiding The Weeks Inventory.

One semi-interesting note is that RCI Weeks is the original RCI timeshare exchange system. RCI Points came along some years later. The Weeks exchange system used TPUs all long, but all the information about that, including its existence, was kept hidden from RCI members & was known only to the backroom gnomes of RCI. Some savvy RCI members figured it out. They guessed right about how the system worked & swung fabulous trades into large deluxe units using humble off-season 1BR units as trade bait. Eventually a class-action case was brought against RCI involving the secret TPU trading system, & other matters. Fall-out from settlement of the case included bringing the TPU system out into the open & setting up the "change back" system when a member has more TPUs than the member needs for an exchange, also the ability to combine leftover TPUs so as to have enough joined together for another weeks exchange.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Last edited:

pammex

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
I still have timeshares but if I did not I would still hang here sometimes, I just like it . great site, learned and continue t learn a lot.

amybethqpf

TUG Member
Reaction score
No timeshare any longer -- we owned Allen House in London for 17 years (and used it every single year ourselves!) but that ended when the lease period expired c. 2016. However, I found TUG just in time to teach me about buying on the secondary market and that's how I acquired Allen House in 1998. I love vacationing in condos and have rented from several TUGGERs. I generally read the newsletter once a week and enjoy the varied topics. Not planning to purchase any more timeshares -- I can get a similar experience by renting. For example, we are presently spending 3 weeks at the Oasis Resort in Palm Springs, which is about 50% Vacation Internationale units. We're renting from a private owner. I do greatly appreciate the expertise everyone is willing to share here.

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
Exactly.

Points & TPUs work on 2 different RCI exchange systems. TPUs & Points are not equivalent & not interchangeable. RCI operates the 2 exchange systems separately side by side. There are some connections. That is, if you join RCI Points, you get a parallel RCI Weeks (TPUs) account also at no added charge. Plus, RCI Points members can get exchange access to RCI Weeks units, a phenomenon known to some of the RCI old-timers as Raiding The Weeks Inventory.

One semi-interesting note is that RCI Weeks is the original RCI timeshare exchange system. RCI Points came along some years later. The Weeks exchange system used TPUs all long, but all the information about that, including its existence, was kept hidden from RCI members & was known only to the backroom gnomes of RCI. Some savvy RCI members figured it out. They guessed successfully how the system worked & swung fabulous trades into large deluxe units using humble off-season 1BR units as trade bait. Eventually a class-action case was brought against RCI involving the secret TPU trading system, & other matters. Fall-out from settlement of the case included bringing the TPU system out into the open & setting up the "change back" system when a member has more TPUs than the member needs for an exchange, also the ability to combine leftover TPUs so as to have enough joined together for another weeks exchange.

Thanks, Alan, very interesting history!
Thank you, Is the TPU different from the number of points for points members?
@JudyMesko, hopefully Alan answered your question!

pcgirl54

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach

Some Tugger have passed

Joined Tug sometime around 2000 and sold my HHI Marriott last year owned three resales two were Marriotts, it was a big decision. My kids live in different states and would not be interested in inheriting it and what I want to do going forward is different.
I can’t believe the prices of hotels this year seeing $400-$1200 for a night add resort and parking fees. Marriott hotel rewards points have gone up costs 15-30k more points to stay where I did 2 years ago on rewards certs and I was complaining about the maintenance fee timeshares charge but I still made the right decision.

Wonderful vacations , Westin Maui was one of them and gave my son a honeymoon in Marriott Frenchman’s St Thomas. It was the hook to my buying first TS 1999 when a good non brand agent shared that idea with me when my boys were just tweens.

TUG members have always provided great advice and travel tips, which is the reason I still login, though not as much as I used to it in earlier years. Still my go to. Great bunch of helpful people.

pcgirl

Last edited:

Dilligaf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Happy to be rid of ours. I hang around to see what's going on; hoping for everyone's sake that the industry finally gets cleaned up. Had an awful experience with Diamond; their salespeople are the worst sort of snakes. I will be paying off the mortgage we took against the house for another seven years. Had a few really nice vacations, but could have spent a lot less, had the same good times, and been debt-free had we either rented from you all or gone with AirBNB. Oh well, chalk it up to experience. Will be looking here when we want to rent a nice timeshare. Keep up the good work, TUG.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
I've started the divesting process . . . signed the paperwork today to move our Lifetime in Hawaii and will do the "Wyndham Certified Exit" at the end of this year to move out of that ownership in 2024 as well. I plan on still hanging out here, because who knows? Maybe I'll become a timeshare renter through the many friends and contacts I've made here.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is our situation as well! I would like to divest myself of the two we own . . . and I'm still trying to figure out how to use the TPU we have before losing our RCI membership we get through our Wyndham ownership.
UPDATE . . . we have successfully booked the TPU spacebanked with RCI . . . and booked our 2023 use with the Wyndham ownership. So we will be timeshare-less starting in 2024!

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I sold my last remaining timeshare last Fall. So I'm among those who no longer own. I hang around here because I like you crazy people. I really like you. :D

My plan is to rent for awhile, and to explore travel in Europe. Timesharing there is problematic, so not owning right now makes the most sense. I may buy again at some point, but I want to check out other options for awhile. Meantime, I can enjoy contributing to the site, and continue being an all-around cool guy to know. LOL! :D

Dave
I like you too! And hope to remain friends Dave!!!

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Yes. I don’t have any direct experience with RCI points but have inferred from what I’ve read on TUG that there’s no direct correlation i.e. can’t say that x number of TPUs equals y number of RCI points.
RCI operates 2 separate timeshare exchange systems side by side -- RCI Weeks (using TPUs by the dozens) & RCI Points (using points by the thousands).

Points & TPUs are not interchangeable & the 2 exchange systems are (mostly) separate. That is, RCI Points members can get exchange access to deposited RCI Weeks units -- a feature referred to by some of the RCI old-timers as Raiding The Weeks Inventory.

jupe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just deeded back my timeshare to Massanutten. I had requested the buyback, explaining the circumstances (my age, the distance from Brooklyn NY, lack of interest of grandchildren, etc.), and they accepted, with just a deed title transfer fee. So I went from owning four to a portfolio of zero.

I stay om TUG, because I enjoy the camaraderie of the members, and keep "learning things...".
Hi Joe,

I thought Massanutten did not accept buybacks. I'm trying to sell mine for $1. Who did you deal with, if you don't mind me asking?

Thank you

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
We got rid of our TS right in early 2020 right before COVID hit. Good Timing.

Reason for getting rid of it - Maintenance was out of control and we started to cruise more and found ourselves taking vacations just to use our points.

However, once I retire - I might consider getting back in - but guess we will have to see what the TS community is like in 7/8 years.

marijalas

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Some Tugger have passed

I think you guys are still very helpful.

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would like to add that while I do not agree with everyone here, I feel we get a lot of intelligent and well thought out responses to posts here. While the administrators are too quick to close a thread if there is a hint of a conservative post (liberal posts get more leeway) - I am glad that we dont have to see any of various 'bidens fault' or 'trumps fault' posts. Also, while we all have generally different opinions or thoughts, the majority of us keep it pretty civil which I appreciate.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm still an owner, and intend to own "forever" -- but I'm now at the age where I should prepare a timeshare divestment plan. Reading through this thread, there was a moment when I felt tears, just remembering some of those who have left us. It is surprising to me that I feel such a connection to people who I've never met. (But feel I've gotten to know.)

As another poster wrote, it's a part of my morning coffee routine.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
We gave back our two weeks at Smugglers Notch when we retired in 2020 and moved to New Hampshire. It was a great 22 years but we are in a different stage of life now.

We did keep our one week 31at Innseason Pollard Brook in Lincoln, NH because it’s just an hour from our home and gives us a chance to just hang out in the mountains ( as opposed to the lakes region where we live). Plus we have day use there as well.

We don’t belong to an exchange company. We just use what we own each year.

I have been away from posting on TUG for a few years for reasons I won’t divulge but I have always followed the posts on here during that period of time. After all, I was a member for many years and enjoy many of the threads and the people!
@WinniWoman, I'm so glad your back on TUG, I really missed you while you were gone...

I will be retiring in a few years and will downsize my TS collection. In retirement I only want to own 4 weeks.