• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How many points are included in developer purchase?

bsheets326

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own a number of timeshare fixed weeks and points (no Marriotts yet). I have always purchased resale, so I am a bit biased against developer purchases. This will be my first Marriott purchase, and I have been reading the threads concerning retail vs. resale.
My question is can anyone give examples of the number of included MR points I could expect from a retail purchase at various resorts. Details from actual recent sales would be great. I know that every deal can be different based on the buyer's negotiating skills. I would prefer a resort in the SE United States that is within driving distance. I know at one time they were including 1,000,000 points at one of the Orlando resorts.
I am considering either a resale or a retail purchase in SC or VA (possibly FL). I would prefer a platinum week.
I don't really need opinions on whether it's better to buy retail or resale. I just need the facts so that I can form my own opinion.
Thanks so much for any information you can share.
Brent

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
Typically they offer 150,000 points for incentive.

For the Orlando resort they offered 200,000 plus paid 1st year maintenance fee (2008) for the purchaser so you turn in 2008 for points as well giving another 110,000 (based on purchased unit).

So total of 310,000 points.

The 1,000,000 you read about included turning in the unit for points for 7 years, you still had to pay the $1100 MF each of the years after 2008. So not really 1,000,000 points as an incentive.

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you finance (not suggesting it - just facts), you get 25K every 6 months (I think this is the correct amount). So that's 50K per year - I'm guessing the finance charge would be around the same as it would cost to BUY 50K a year - 625 dollars. The salespeople will include the 50K per year for 10 years of financing to tell you that you can get 500K more points - that may be how you heard almost 1 million.

bsheets326

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I wouldn't finance the purchase. I agree that the finance charge would offset any savings on the points. I could just purchase them directly through Marriott.
Brent

Judy999

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott incentive points

I know first hand that the points are negotiable at the presentation.

My husband and I negotiated 250,000 points froum our purchase of Marriott Ocean Pointe, 2 bdrm Platinum in 2001.

My friend went to a presentation a couple months ago and negotiated a Platinum, floating, 2 bdrm Marriott Ocean Watch at $27k and 250,000 points (buys a trip to Hawaii for 3). Can't beat that price as listed price is around $33k. I was surprised that they agreed on that price as I previously heard that Marriott does not negotiate on price. I think that being a down market - Marriott is more flexible; therefore, this is a good time to buy from Marriott.

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
The points plan outlined in my post (link below) is purely a points play for 2 two-bedroom 2-kitchens Grande Lakes Orlando pre-construction units for $66,000 or so that included the purchase price and an estimate of MF for the 7 years of non use -- in this case to earn 2 million points. I believe they have their 300 founding members now so the points play isn't quite as good now as it was when I posted the info.

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showpost.php?p=561412&postcount=33

The play assumes you would have other timeshares you could use in the off years when you weren't spending your 2 million points as it does take 7 years before you'll see all the points -- I'm guessing that you'd see about half of them in the first year. The resort won't even open until 2010, so it's the best time to buy as there are no resales and a ton of points for world travel.

A million points to use up front would almost buy you 2 Category 7 packages which includes (for 540,000 x2 MR pts) 4 weeks in the top of the line Marriotts anywhere in the world and about 4 business class flights on UA or partners as well...2 separate luxury trips for 2 people in the first 2 years. Then, when at the 7 year points (remember the above price included MF for 7 years) you've got the other million points you can take another two trips like that. Altogether, it could calculate out to as much value as the whole price of the two TS unite purchases. Very attractive for what might be a very superior resort with a Ritz and JW on the property too (already there).

Again, points are not free ... but neither are resale timeshares. For me, buying direct has given me the best of both worlds - great resort ownership as well as several luxury world trips. But you have to play the 'package' game, study it, and make it work for you. Right now, with the US dollar situation vs the Euro, using MR points for European travel is a great deal.

Brian

...The 1,000,000 you read about included turning in the unit for points for 7 years, you still had to pay the $1100 MF each of the years after 2008. So not really 1,000,000 points as an incentive.

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I wouldn't finance the purchase. I agree that the finance charge would offset any savings on the points. I could just purchase them directly through Marriott.
Brent

We just bought two weeks at the new Marriott Lakeside Reserve in Orlando. You get an incentive if you finance the cost even if you only hold onto the financing for a month. That's what we're doing, we are financing for a month and then we'll pay it off.

Latravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
When we purchased recently, we received: 250,000 for the purchase + 40,000 self referral + 110,000 for turning in 2008 usage (which we couldn't use anyways since the season was almost over) + something else I can't remember. The total was close to 500,000. We paid the entire amount with our Marriott Visa (to get more points), then paid the Visa completely as soon as we got the bill. We got a lot more points by paying this way instead of paying directly with cash or financing.

It's all about accumulating points for those great trips, which makes it worth it to buy from Marriott directly. If we didn't receive those points, we couldn't have justified purchasing directly from Marriott.