• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How impossible is it to get Newport Coast?

enma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is it impossible to get NCV the third week of August thru II using a 2 bedroom Marriott Grand Chateau Easter week? I just put the request in few days ago so about 11 months prior.

Last edited:

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I've read that some platinum NCV owners have complained that they had trouble getting summer reservations....

I see that week 34 has a TDI of 145, but weeks 35-37 have a TDI of 115. So if you expanded your date range it would significantly improve your chances.

I am not restricted to a school schedule and I actually prefer going there in Sept when the "urchins" (as O'Reilly calls them) are back in school. October is another great month... November is usually pretty nice...

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
The third week in August might be a little easier than July or the first 2 weeks in August but I think it will still be difficult. I think those that reserved with the intention of depositing probably already did so at the 13 and 12 month mark. I think also request have been in for a while. Requesting 1 week and one week only during fairly high season at a busy 2 br only resort can make for a difficult exchange as well. Right now you will be waiting on deposits from those with a request first waiting to get filled and those that really weren't sure they wanted to deposit so they may wait until just before flex to deposit.

DB-Wis

TUG Member
Reaction score
The third week in August might be a little easier than July or the first 2 weeks in August but I think it will still be difficult. I think those that reserved with the intention of depositing probably already did so at the 13 and 12 month mark. I think also request have been in for a while. Requesting 1 week and one week only during fairly high season at a busy 2 br only resort can make for a difficult exchange as well. Right now you will be waiting on deposits from those with a request first waiting to get filled and those that really weren't sure they wanted to deposit so they may wait until just before flex to deposit.

I agree with this assessment. I think you'd have a much better chance of success if you tried for a mid-September week at NCV.

enma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unfortuanely I am tied to school schedule on this trip so can't do September. I have exchanged into NCV in March and April using a one bedroom Grande Vista unit but this August exchange might be difficult. Will keep my fingers crossed.

I also have a pending request for any of the Marriotts in Spain for the first 2 weeks in August using the same Grand Chateau unit I am using for the NCV request. That request has been pending over a year now and honestly I was expecting that one come thru right at 12 month mark like few years ago. But nothing yet. Will be interesting if any of them come thru and if so which one. At this point I am hoping for NCV so I don't have to deal with trying to get mileage tickets to Europe.

Last edited:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Unfortuanely I am tied to school schedule on this trip so can't do September. I have exchanged into NCV in March and April using a one bedroom Grande Vista unit but this August exchange might be difficult. Will keep my fingers crossed.

Looks like the DC has some availability during that period of time. If you are enrolled, that might be an option for you.

Werner Weiss

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is it impossible to get NCV the third week of August thru II using a 2 bedroom Marriott Grand Chateau Easter week? I just put the request in few days ago so about 11 months prior.
Not entirely impossible — but unlikely at this point, in my opinion.

I assume you're trying to get August 2016, not 2017. Also, I assume you're using II, and a Points reservation is not an option for you.

The weeks calendar for Newport Coast Villas has almost the entire second half of the year as Platinum, but most Platinum owners want July and August weeks. Weeks owners have learned (often the hard way) that they need to call in right when their 13-month or 12-month booking window opens.

It's now September 2015, so it's safe to say that all August 2016 weeks have been booked. Most will be used by owners who want to take their kids to Newport Coast before school resumes.

Undoubtedly, some weeks were booked as valuable exchange weeks, and it's likely that most of those weeks were deposited with II right away (and have already gone to fill ongoing requests). There is probably a long queue of ongoing requests that are unfilled, including requests from Newport Coast owners who were only able to get September weeks and want to exchange them for August.

The only August 2016 weeks that will still go into II are weeks from owners who change their minds about going in August 2016 or who are waiting to make their deposit because they want a later expiration date on their II Accommodation Certificate (even thought trading power eventually goes down over time). There's also a tiny chance Marriott could put together weeks from Points inventory to get other high value weeks to use for Points exchanges, but I wouldn't count on it.

Last edited:

enma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the valuable opinions.
I do have Destination points but I am on a waiting list for Marbella and that took all my points. However at this point I am starting to change my plans and I think I might cancel my pending request for Marbella (along with II request) and use the points for NCV. I can not look up the availabilty for NCV using points since they are tied with the pending Marbella request. So there is availablity at NCV using points? Like starting Sunday 8/14/16?

Last edited:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I do have Destination points but I am on a waiting list for Marbella and that took all my points. However at this point I am starting to change my plans and I think I might cancel my pending request for Marbella (along with II request) and use the points for NCV. I can not look up the availabilty for NCV using points since they are tied with the pending Marbella request. So there is availablity at NCV using points? Like starting Sunday 8/14/16?

No 7 day availability checking in that Sat or Sunday, but checking in any weekday the week prior, or Monday forward of that week are all open.

enma

TUG Member
Reaction score
No 7 day availability checking in that Sat or Sunday, but checking in any weekday the week prior, or Monday forward of that week are all open.

Thank you for checking!

camachinist

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another possibility is do a request-first on the NCV and put the MGC unit up for rent and do a rent swap if the request doesn't come through or cancel the request if a rent-swap pair comes together. There are tons of NCV units for rent and renting is a big business there so you'll nearly always get the week you want for a comparable price to what you'd get for a Easter 2BR MGC. This preserves the points reservation request at Marbella. I guess it depends on priority. I've been an owner at NCV in both seasons since 2004.

The third week of August is definitely possible for exchange but I have noted a lot less NCV in the II shopping area of late than in past years. I'd sometimes do a intra-resort exchange from Gold to Plat to get two weeks back to back. July was usually a problem but August, IIRC, never. However, that was probably 5-6 years ago. Nothing recent

Last edited:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k

Rent points and snag the DC reservation. Easy peasy.