• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How have you used Destination Points so far?

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought it would be interesting to hear how others have used the Destination Points for 2011 and 2012 and what your plans are for 2013.

We own 2 resale Special weeks at Cypress Harbour.

So far, we used our 2011 weeks to trade for MRP using one week and exchanged the other week for Destination points that we used for Maui Ocean Club (with our 800 bonus points) to reserve an oceanfront unit for 5 nights.

We sold our 2012 points for around 41 cent per points and will trade our other week for MRP.

In 2013, we will deposit one week with Interval and likely sell the points for the other week.

I am glad we joined, but not for the reason of exchanging for Destinations Points. I like the flexibility of trading for MRP's and the ease of selling points when I don't need the week.

newportbeach

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriot Points

I really like have the freedom to travel to other than home resorts and do so on the precise date and for as many days as I like. Oh, yes, I like not dealing with Interval as the only game in town. I now use points mainly for Hawaii and in particular is I use interval for one island(Maui), I can add 3-5 days say at Waiohai or another 3 nights at the Lagoons, like I did last month. I have not done anything with MRP, but I believe Marriott is just now offering a cash and points program like Starwood, and if so then I would seriously be interested. Next week I had to deal with 2,000 points that were expiring by the 31st. A simple phone call, and I am now staying 6 nights in a one bedroom in Palm Desert. I tried calling ii and was told all of the Palm Springs area was booked, so Marriott Destination Club came through for me.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I really like have the freedom to travel to other than home resorts and do so on the precise date and for as many days as I like. Oh, yes, I like not dealing with Interval as the only game in town. I now use points mainly for Hawaii and in particular is I use interval for one island(Maui), I can add 3-5 days say at Waiohai or another 3 nights at the Lagoons, like I did last month. I have not done anything with MRP, but I believe Marriott is just now offering a cash and points program like Starwood, and if so then I would seriously be interested. Next week I had to deal with 2,000 points that were expiring by the 31st. A simple phone call, and I am now staying 6 nights in a one bedroom in Palm Desert. I tried calling ii and was told all of the Palm Springs area was booked, so Marriott Destination Club came through for me.

You've highlited the main reasons we like the DC, too - flexibility for stays, ease of booking and not having to deal with II. For 2011 we converted one week to DC Points and are happy with how things turned out with those. We may do the same with one 2012 week and for 2013 we'll be looking at probably all-DC Points usage. It's a little too soon for planning but it's in the back of my mind ...

We're mostly hoarding our MRP's for future use but do supplement our timeshare stays with an MRP night here and there, or a 2-nighter several times a year. Eventually, probably the year Don retires, we're hoping for a big Spain/London/Paris trip using a combo of timeshares and hotels. About what I bolded - there was this on news.marriott.com a couple weeks ago and at first glance I thought the same as you did, "hey, is this like what Starwood offers with combo cash-and-points stays?" But with a closer look it's an Air and Car Package that doesn't include the stay. Is this what you're thinking of or is there something different?

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Used my 2011 points for two Sunday-Thursday stays with a two day "bridge" Fri-Sat stay using Rewards points.

Grand Ocean - Charleston (hotel) - Ocean Watch

1700 points left over for later next year or 2013.

In 2013 I plan on using the same logic/method for a trip to California using five at Newport Coast and five at Tahoe. I'll probably put a few extra rewards points into the mix and get a travel package for one end of the trip also probably staying in San Francisco.

markbernstein

TUG Member
Reaction score
For 2011, we traded our Gold Oceana Palms week for DC points, used some of those plus the bonus points we got for signing up to get a spring break week at Imperial Palms in Orlando, then banked the remaining points into 2012.

For 2012, I used the banked points to get five nights at the end of May in a 1BR at Manor Club in Williamsburg. Later in 2012, we'll actually be staying where we own for the first time.

We have no idea what we're doing for 2013 yet.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Dave,

I've done a couple things with points -- I've rented points out to cover a significant portion of my MFs (all MFs, not just Marriott MFs). I'm also using DC points to book a Timber Lodge reservation for a Direct Exchange with a DVC owner (so that I, in turn, can go to Aulani).

I've also done a Direct Exchange where I used my HGVC system to book a HGVC Waikoloa reservation for a TUGger, and they sent me DC Points to use for my reservation needs. I'm now working on a second HGVC Waikoloa Direct Exchange with another TUGger for 2013, and will generate more DC Points. HGVC Big Island appears to be a desirable destination for Marriott owners and HGVC owners may wish to take note of this opportunity.

I believe the ability to transfer DC Points is very powerful (and kudos to Marriott -- they didn't have to give us this feature). This allows you to rent out your points to cover MFs, or to obtain Points from other owners (via Direct Exchange) so you can book a desired reservation. I've not yet used it to make a reservation for myself, but when I do, I expect it will be for a adjacent reservation, such as a 5 night extension to an existing MOC trip.

Best to all,

Greg

Last edited:

KathyPet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Used DC points to add three nights to our week in St. Kitts and to book a 4 night stay at MMC in April

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
All stays 7 nights except as indicated. 2013 is a plan, I haven't made the reservations yet.

Oceana Palms 2b OS November......2000 points

Lakeshore Reserve 3b October......3675 points

Frenchmans Cove 2b x2 February........8250 points
Ocean Point 2b OF x2 July..................7350 points
Ocean Point 3b OF July.......................4000 points
Ocean Point 1b OF July.......................2400 points
Custom House 1b May..........................800 points (4 nights)

Frenchmans Cove 2b February.............4175 points
Ocean Point 3b OF OCT-NOV................4000 points
Ocean Point 1b x2 OCT-NOV................4800 points

dvc_john

TUG Member
Reaction score
I only own 1 Marriott week, and it's not a high value week points wise, so I have to stretch the points. All stays have been from 4 to 6 nights, and either a 1br or 2br.

2011:
Lakeshore Reserve (exchange, not points)
Monarch at Sea Pines
Ocean Watch
Willow Ridge

2012:
Legends Edge
Sunset Harbor
BeachPlace Towers
Desert Springs II

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dave,

I've also done a Direct Exchange where I used my HGVC system to book a HGVC Waikoloa reservation for a TUGger, and they sent me DC Points to use for my reservation needs. I'm now working on a second HGVC Waikoloa Direct Exchange with another TUGger for 2013, and will generate more DC Points. HGVC Big Island appears to be a desirable destination for Marriott owners and HGVC owners may wish to take note of this opportunity.

I am thinking of staying at Waikoloa the next time we go to Hawaii (probably not until summer of 2014). We just sold our Hilton but I figure we could either trade through RCI or we could try an exchange like you mention.

mwwich

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Converted one 2011 week and banked the points, will combine with 2012 points for 2013 trip w/kids for 25th wedding anniversary.

Using 800 bonus points (plus a few more) for 5 night trip to Ocean Pointe this March for just wife and I (studio).

RBERR1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Used plus points to add 2 nights to Cypress Harbour reservation
Book 7 nights at Koalina

curbysplace

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau, Marriott Streamside-Birch, Marriott Custom House
Used the joining bonus points combined with 2011 points for a cruise last June. The bonus points made the cruise relatively inexpensive. Booked back to back weeks in Hawaii for May 2012 with points. Had a "request first" through II at the same time using another owned week requesting either of the point-reserved Hawaii resort weeks. The II request came through, matched with one of the point-reserved weeks. Then I cancelled the DC points reservation at that resort getting the points back in my Marriott DC account. I have been renting and am still selling these 2012 points with other excess points on the TUG Marketplace and GregT's website. The proceeds from the point sales will help pay my 2012 MF's.

wesley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's our experience..

We signed up our OW week and bought 1,000 DC points in the summer of 10. Wish we hadn't. We NEVER trade the OW week - always go there as it is a fantastic resort. So buying into the trust didn't make much sense - an impulse buy.

We banked 2010 points and 2011 as well... Gotta use them in 2012. So with the 3,000 accumulated points we'll book a week in Aruba in late fall, 2012. Hopefully there will be something available... We may continue this pattern of banking so we have enough points every three years to go on a nice additional trip (in addition to OW).

We also own at BPT - EOY - We use it too, and didn't enroll it because it was not cost effective to enroll an EOY bought on the aftermarket (paid about 2k for it several years ago and have been happy with this purchase

We used the 800 points bonus recently for a really nice 4 day vacation to Williamsburg - Manor Clubis nice, I guess - we never even poked around the resort!! Spent all our time at Colonial Williamsburg!!

Happy Holidays
Wesley

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
Used 800 bonus points to spend 1 night 12/17/2011 in Chicago Marriott Mag Mile hotel, with breakfast and 2 tickets to aquarium.

Needed to use the points prior to expiration