• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How do I transfer my Timeshare

Reaction score
In a Divorce Court, the judge awarded me the timeshare that was jointly owned. I now wish to transfer it to my name solely. Will the Divorce Decree be sufficient for the transfer, what would the procedure be or do I have to get my former to Quit Claim it to me? And if so, is there a sample Quit Claim Deed out there that I can use. I am in Los Angeles and the Time share is in California also.
Thanks in advance.

Bill4728

Reaction score
This is from the "How to sell my TS" thread. It talks about some of the ways you can transfer your TS's title.

Timesharing Today has a Resale Document Kit, which you can purchase for about $30, or even less if you choose to download the kit. Instructions, fill-in-the-blank forms, sample letters, loan documents, etc. Easy to follow. A kit from My Resort Network sells for under $10, but might not include legal language required if the timeshare or one of the two parties is in Florida.

If you want to be somewhat secure in the closing process after you have negotiated a written deal, consider using one of the low-cost timeshare closing services such as JRA Services or Timeshare Transfer, so that neither the money nor the deed is disbursed until both are in the hands of the closing company. Your buyer might insist on using such a service. Fees are typically $300-$350 depending on what services you utilize. TimeTravel Traders will handle the closing for about $100, but the fee does not include escrow handling of purchase price funds. Or for $119 and a lot of paperwork, if you are comfortable with the details, you can be guided through a self-closing at TurboClose.

jschmidt

Reaction score
I would suggest that you call the resort and explain what you want to do and ask how to do it. I bet this isn't the first time this has happened.

Reaction score
Company most unhelpful

That was my first port of call. There were absolutely useless, the written reply was sorry cannot help. Subsequent phone calls also useles. Name of company is VCI in California.

Hawaii123

Reaction score
Call a CA attorney

I'd call a CA attorney that does timeshare transfers. Your resort might be able to suggest someone to you.

Mel7706

TUG Member
Reaction score
Quitclaim deed

Do a simple quitclaim deed and have your ex sign & notorize it. Send it to the clerk of the court or whomever is the recorder of deeds in that locality. Once they record it and send it back to you, send a copy to the resort.
Forms are available in office supply stores, use Bill's $10 recommendation or google for deeds. Your only costs should be the deed form, recording costs at the courthouse and any fees charged by your t/s resort.
Be patient for the forms to make their way through the process.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I agree with Mel ; quitclaim will work. The county recorders office (where the timeshare is located) will give you the requirements for filing a document (format and fees). A stationary supply store in California should sell blank quitclaim forms that you can fill out. The main issue is being able to ensure you have the property properly referenced.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Use an "Interspousal Transfer Deed", not a Quitclaim Deed. The Interspousal Transfer Deed is a California-specific deed that avoids the imposition of the documentary transfer taxes that are normally assessed by the County Recorder when you record a deed (see California Revenue and Taxation Code section 11927(a)). It would also avoid a Prop 13 reassessment, if that were applicable (although that typically is not).

Reaction score
Thanks

Thank you everyone for your help and advice. I am now on the right path, thanks to all of you again.

mapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi!

Sorry to hear about your divorce. I am currently going through the same thing. Now with several of my timeshares a Transfer to Spouse Quit Claim is necessary on a couple of my other ones the company sent me a Transfer of Ownership form for us to fill out and then we have to pay $50.00 for the change in ownership status to be completed.

I wish you the best of luck.

Diana

Reaction score
Wording for Interspousal Transfer Deed

Thanks for your reply Diana. Would you have a sample of the wording that one would you for this Transfer/Quit Claim. As I said before VRI in Laguna Beach have been hopeless....they won't even return phone calls.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Diana. Would you have a sample of the wording that one would you for this Transfer/Quit Claim. As I said before VRI in Laguna Beach have been hopeless....they won't even return phone calls.

With all respect, if you are asking VRI to advise you of what you need to do to transfer title you are asking them to give you free legal advice. Probably, what they have told you is that once you have a recorded deed to forward a copy of the deed to them and they will then update the ownership records at the resort. At the same time, they've probably also said that they will not update ownership records without the deed.

That is precisely what their role is, and all that their role is. They are not set up, staffed, or operated to advise owners on how to create and handle legal paperwork. It's up to you as owner to handle the title issues yourself.