• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How did I do on RCI TPU Comination?

travelplus

Reaction score
We had 10 TPUS expiring in January plus 22 expiring in June and other this October which we know we will most likely not be able to use and have extended them all to December 2017 with hopes to have higher TPUs for more flexibility . I don't use the Ongoing Search and just keep going online to find resorts that meet our travel dates.

Right now we have 160 TPUs total to use.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
OGS is the most effective way to get the exchange you want. If you only search online, you are only looking at the leftovers, after all OGS's have been filled.

travelplus

Reaction score
OGS is the most effective way to get the exchange you want. If you only search online, you are only looking at the leftovers, after all OGS's have been filled.

I see Denise. Can I run by this scenario.

Lets say next January we want 3 weeks with the OGS in a 2 bedroom. How do we specify 3 weeks? Lets use the Kona Coast Resort as an example . Lets say we got week 1 at 30 TPU 2 Bedroom Week 2 at 30 TPU Week 3 at 30 TPU 2 Bedroom. And then decided we want to use the leftover TPUs in Ouahu or in Vegas in Summer. With OGS you can only do one at a time right? Or can I get 3 OGS?

Thanks

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You can have as many OGS's as you wish, but to run them simultaneously, I think you need separate deposits.

For instance, lets say you request the 3 weeks in Hawaii - if you use one deposit, once you get one week of your request filled, the OGS will end.

travelplus

Reaction score
You can have as many OGS's as you wish, but to run them simultaneously, I think you need separate deposits.

For instance, lets say you request the 3 weeks in Hawaii - if you use one deposit, once you get one week of your request filled, the OGS will end.

I see. But the OGS is not good if we wanted consecutive weeks at the same resort?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I see. But the OGS is not good if we wanted consecutive weeks at the same resort?

This is how you would request 3 consecutive weeks.

Deposit A - request week 1

Deposit B - request week 2

Deposit C - request week 3

If you have all 3 requests on one deposit, as soon as one request is filled, the OGS will end, and you will have to re-start it:

1) You have one deposit and you request weeks 1, 2, and 3

2) You get a match for week 2 - so the OGS ends and you have to start a new OGS with the remaining TPU.

Last edited:

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's the downside of combining into one large TPU amount--you can only do one OGS with one TPU deposit or amount as Denise mentioned.

So for 3 consecutive weeks, you'd need 3 separate deposits.

If you really need three consecutive weeks and only have one large combined TPU deposit, then you would likely need to search online. (Or, get one reserved with an OGS and quickly turn around and look for other weeks with the leftovers.)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That's the downside of combining into one large TPU amount--you can only do one OGS with one TPU deposit or amount as Denise mentioned.

So for 3 consecutive weeks, you'd need 3 separate deposits.

If you really need three consecutive weeks and only have one large combined TPU deposit, then you would likely need to search online.

Or you can do both - put in an OGS, and search online.

travelplus

Reaction score
Thanks for all of your tips. I have learned a lot:) I am trying to be a savvy Timesahare user!!!!!

What I have learned is to work with what you have and to really maximize it. What I have been doing so far and it has worked is go online and see whats available for the date range. If I like the resort I'll book it if not I just move on.

I also love spending 3 weeks at one resort vs. moving around too much .

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all of your tips. I have learned a lot:) I am trying to be a savvy Timesahare user!!!!!

What I have learned is to work with what you have and to really maximize it. What I have been doing so far and it has worked is go online and see whats available for the date range. If I like the resort I'll book it if not I just move on.

I also love spending 3 weeks at one resort vs. moving around too much .

The most "expensive" resorts TPU-wise are normally DVC and hilton new york - and for sure other resorts too.

The maximum TPU amount I have seen and from what I have read elsewhere is 60. So my recommendation is that you dont combine more than that.

regards

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Couldn't he also set up one ongoing search for the three consecutive weeks--so check-ins from (let's say) December 5 to December 26?

Then as soon as he gets one week that he wants, he can reconfigure to go for the week before or the week after (if he gets the middle week first) or for the first two weeks or the last two weeks?

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Couldn't he also set up one ongoing search for the three consecutive weeks--so check-ins from (let's say) December 5 to December 26?

Then as soon as he gets one week that he wants, he can reconfigure to go for the week before or the week after (if he gets the middle week first) or for the first two weeks or the last two weeks?

He will have to start a new OGS once his first week matches. Which with RCI puts you to the back of line so could have quite a big impact.

Best bet is probably to try to do some research and try for resorts or systems thatdo a bulk bank. Set up your search for the hardest week to get, for example a holiday week. Then hope that you can pick up the other one or two.