• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How can you tell your trading power in II?

toddvb20

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to tell the trading power of your unit in II? For instance, is there a way to tell if it is in the realm of possibility to trade into Hyatt Residence Club Maui, Diamante in Cabo or any other resort out there?

I have a SDO floating week 1-52 SDO 2 BDR LO. From what I understand it is "easier" to trade into other VSE properties with an SDO. Do I have a chance at Hawaii(or other destinations) Marriotts and Hyatts? If not, that's ok I just don't want to wonder and/or put in an exchange request that has no chance of ever happening.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
On II, check the TDI (Travel Demand Index) of the various weeks at your home resort. Then reserve the highest demand week. It will give you the highest trading power. (edit: I guess that I'm wrong with respect to SDO, per sjsharkie. This technique would work with others (like a Marriott week) but not SDO)

Then put in a request. Put it in Wayyyyy in the future. Why? Because it establishes your place in the queue. So, that gives you the highest chance of an exchange. An exchange 14 months in advance is more likely to get a match than one 2 months in advance.

The next factor is the Marriott preference period. By all means include Marriott in your request. But realize that new inventory is only seen by Marriott owners for the first 22 days. So, there isn't a lot of inventory that survives. In Hyatt, you'll have a better chance.

If you are looking for Hawaii, consider adding a bunch of other non-Marriotts to your request. For instance, on the Big Island, the Kona Coast is a fairly easy exchange.

Last edited:

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to tell the trading power of your unit in II? For instance, is there a way to tell if it is in the realm of possibility to trade into Hyatt Residence Club Maui, Diamante in Cabo or any other resort out there?

I have a SDO floating week 1-52 SDO 2 BDR LO. From what I understand it is "easier" to trade into other VSE properties with an SDO. Do I have a chance at Hawaii(or other destinations) Marriotts and Hyatts? If not, that's ok I just don't want to wonder and/or put in an exchange request that has no chance of ever happening.

On II, check the TDI (Travel Demand Index) of the various weeks at your home resort. Then reserve the highest demand week. It will give you the highest trading power.
For Vistana floating units, the quick answer is no. You could guess based on the average TDI, but there really is no way to know.

For SDO floating units, you can't reserve the highest week. Vistana rules (unless something has changed that I'm not aware of) are that you cannot reserve a specific week in II. When you deposit a week, Vistana will pick and II will provide you with a blended trading value depending on the season (i.e. at SDO, Plat Plus week would have a stronger trading power than Gold Plus). You will have a preference advantage in trading for most Vistana properties that are dropped into II.

I own both. My experience has been that Gold Plus pulls mostly the same as Plat Plus when you do a live search ... Plat Plus has pulled a Harborside week that Gold Plus can't but there isn't a ton of difference IMHO. However, in an OGS, I do note that when both weeks have the same search, the Plat Plus will hit first sometimes while the Gold Plus misses (obviously when trading same size units).

Also, generally (but not always), size trumps season. Most times I have other non-SDO traders that will outperform SDO for Hyatt and other non-Vistana searches at a lower cost - so even Hyatt will be tough. Others may have different experiences.

The rest of BJR's post is accurate.

-ryan

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
SDO's get a reduced exchange fee when trading with other Vistana properties, so when putting in an ongoing search, you will pay less if you keep your searches confined to other Vistana properties. You should have enough trading power for Hawaii (the Westin properties on Maui and Kauai), as long as you are flexible on dates and unit size. Marriotts will not only cost you more, but you will have difficulty waiting for them to clear the Marriott preference period. You should also have enough trading power for some (but not all) Hyatts. Again the exchange fees will be higher. I'm not aware of any preference period.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
It can be quite difficult for Hyatt owners internally to get into Maui, so I don’t believe inventory makes it to II. However you can but in a request on the sightings board.
Other options would be Westin and the new Sheraton on other Islands.
I have found that doing manually searches were more beneficial than utilizing OGS for more difficult trades. I use the Sighting. Board to help.

Last edited:

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The Hyatt Kaanapali has never been spotted as an exchange by anyone. For that resort, it is not your Trade power— it is lack of inventory. Focus on the 3 Westins.

you can get any resort in Mexico which has deposits. Mexico is an easy exchange. The hardest is Westin Lagunamar in Cancun, but you would have preference for that one.

toddvb20

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how often Grand Solmar at Lands End make deposits into II? Would all of the 2020 units been deposited already or is there a chance that they will make more?

Thanks!