Hi - I'm interested in "giving away free" my timeshare deed, with little to no out of pocket costs. Based on reading Thread I first think I will try again to talk to my resort about taking it back - how nice would that be! And I will follow the above advice. I did Noticed last update on this post was 2016 - anything new for 2019 I should know. My timeshare is debt free and the maintenance fee is paid till January 2020. I sure hope i don't have to pay another one.Before you pay an upfront fee to someone to "take your timeshare off your hands," please consider giving your timeshare away to a private individual who would like to own it.
-You can give it away yourself for nearly no cost.
-You can control the transfer process to make sure it is truly transferred out of your name.
-You won't have to deal with companies that may or may not be Legit.
-You can transfer it to a private individual who will be happy to have it for their own use.
-You will have the satisfaction of knowing that you ended your ownership legally and ethically.
There are TWO places on TUG where you can give away your TS's for free - you want to post Ads in BOTH locations, because they are different locations, with different audiences.
There are other cheap and free sites on the internet, as well - I use Craigslist and Redweek.
1) TUG Marketplace - the only cost is your TUG membership - $15 (List it for $1 and it will automatically go in the Bargain Basement Ads.)
2) Bargain Deals (a subforum here on the TUG Bulletin Board) - Totally FREE! - just write a simple post with all the pertinent info. In your post, include the following info.:
SAMPLE AD: http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224197
To make it more attractive I would:
1) Pay for the pay for the current maintenance fees and don't ask for reimbursement. (And next year's maintenance fee if it's due soon.)
2) Offer to pay for the title transfer/closing - inexpensive transfer/closings are around $150 - ask for recommendations on TUG. The closing company will walk you through the whole thing - you don't have to know how to do a title transfer yourself.
3) Reserve a popular holiday week in 2016/2017 for the new owner
4) Here is the CRITICAL step that most people miss - come back to to your post once a week and bump it with new info. to keep it on the main page. (When you add a new post to your original thread, it automatically "bumps" your thread to the top of the page where it will be more visible.)
*** You don't have to know anything about title transfers - that is why you use a reputable transfer company. All you have to do is post an Ad, and find someone who wants it. Once you have a taker, the title transfer company will take over the process and walk you through it. They will provide the contract, communicate with the buyer, prepare the new deed, collect required signatures, and record the deed with the local recorder's office, and resort.
Last edited by a moderator: